Author Topic: What ever happened to...  (Read 9563 times)

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
What ever happened to...
« on: July 29, 2012, 05:52:49 AM »
The old :

The following match is scheduled for one fall, with a (insert your own time 10, 15, 30) time limit

It hit me on Monday that stuff is no longer around.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: What ever happened to...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 06:46:37 AM »
The old :

The following match is scheduled for one fall, with a (insert your own time 10, 15, 30) time limit

It hit me on Monday that stuff is no longer around.

Mid-90's-ish I'm estimating from memory. Howard Finkel, Mel Phillips, and the old white-haired guy, whose name escapes me right now, were the last ones I can remember consistently using the "one fall" dialogue.

That was phased out along with the rope on the corner post during tag matches, although the latter still makes the random re-appearance.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:02:51 AM »

Mid-90's-ish I'm estimating from memory. Howard Finkel, Mel Phillips, and the old white-haired guy, whose name escapes me right now, were the last ones I can remember consistently using the "one fall" dialogue.

That was phased out along with the rope on the corner post during tag matches, although the latter still makes the random re-appearance.

Always loved the tag-rope as it added drama to almost every face tag in history....not to mention the choking opportunity!

Something else I don't care for, another 90's phenomenon, is the in-ring promos exclusively.  Much rather see a set and save the in-ring promos for special occasions like it was for years prior. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 08:13:29 AM »
Always loved the tag-rope as it added drama to almost every face tag in history....not to mention the choking opportunity!

Something else I don't care for, another 90's phenomenon, is the in-ring promos exclusively.  Much rather see a set and save the in-ring promos for special occasions like it was for years prior. 

Agree.
Sadly, very little is "special" anymore.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 08:42:22 PM »
I see that tag rope all the time for Raw.  Most recently Cena holding on to it.  I do wish there was still the promos prior to ring entrance.  Now everyone has the timed pyro shit, 20 minute walk in, some fancy shit on the turn buckles.  FUCK. 

Also, how come you don't see heels getting in the face of fans anymore.  My favorite recollection of the old AWA days was when some heel would get in the face some old lady at ring side.  HOLY CRAP that was good times.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »

Something else I don't care for, another 90's phenomenon, is the in-ring promos exclusively.  Much rather see a set and save the in-ring promos for special occasions like it was for years prior.  

You mean like Piper's Pit, the Brother Love Show, the Funeral Parlor, the Heartbreak Hotel, etc. Usually, when a wrestler has such a show, he's injured.

One thing I don't see that much is the criss-crossing off the ropes, by opponents.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 12:35:34 PM »
You mean like Piper's Pit, the Brother Love Show, the Funeral Parlor, the Heartbreak Hotel, etc. Usually, when a wrestler has such a show, he's injured.

One thing I don't see that much is the criss-crossing off the ropes, by opponents.

I was thinking more of the way wrestlers would cut actual promos as Gordon, Gene, Caudle, Crockett's etc... conducted an "interview."  It always led to run-ins and confrontation.  Also made it a big deal if a wrestler took the mic into the ring.

I hadn't thought of the ole "criss-cross" in a long time.....that was used a ton in the old days here in the mid-atlantic. 

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 04:32:12 PM »
I hadn't thought of the ole "criss-cross" in a long time.....that was used a ton in the old days here in the mid-atlantic. 

If the criss-cross happened early in the match, then invariably it would result in the heel attempting a "hip toss" only to have it blocked by the face, who would then execute his own hip toss.

If the criss-cross happened late in the match, then it would involve either a "collision" with the referee or else the heel would have his manager or some other heel either trip the face or grab his ankle...half of these situations would result in a heel win by "screwjob" or else the heel's plan would backfire and the face would win a "Dusty finish"

Other things you never see these days...the fireman's carry or the snapmare. 
~

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 04:49:18 PM »
I see that tag rope all the time for Raw.  Most recently Cena holding on to it.  I do wish there was still the promos prior to ring entrance.  Now everyone has the timed pyro shit, 20 minute walk in, some fancy shit on the turn buckles.  FUCK. 

Also, how come you don't see heels getting in the face of fans anymore.  My favorite recollection of the old AWA days was when some heel would get in the face some old lady at ring side.  HOLY CRAP that was good times.

Southern wrestling was awesome back in the 70s and 80s! You'd have the 90 year old man with a pack of cigarettes in his shirt pocket and thick framed glasses literally taking swings at some of the heat drawing heels. Wrestling just had so much more soul back then.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 04:57:17 PM »
Southern wrestling was awesome back in the 70s and 80s! You'd have the 90 year old man with a pack of cigarettes in his shirt pocket and thick framed glasses literally taking swings at some of the heat drawing heels. Wrestling just had so much more soul back then.

And just about every family in the Mid-Atlantic region had at least one "granny" who took wrestling way too seriously.  I remember going to the matches once at the Roanoke Civic Center and I saw some kid crying...because they (it was a family of eight, including the grandmother) were supposed to go to Hardees' after the matches for steak biscuits but "Granny" insisted on going straight home because she was pissed off about the last match (one of those matches where the "good guy" won, but it was via disqualification, so the title didn't change hands). 
~

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 05:23:44 PM »
And just about every family in the Mid-Atlantic region had at least one "granny" who took wrestling way too seriously.  I remember going to the matches once at the Roanoke Civic Center and I saw some kid crying...because they (it was a family of eight, including the grandmother) were supposed to go to Hardees' after the matches for steak biscuits but "Granny" insisted on going straight home because she was pissed off about the last match (one of those matches where the "good guy" won, but it was via disqualification, so the title didn't change hands).  

Yep. They were some of the most diehard, emotionally invested fans ever. The reality is that some of those same elderly people probably were huge fans going back to the 1930s depression era. Pretty amazing if you think about it. Those handful of shows that came thru back in those tough days of their youth might have been the majority of entertainment that they had.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 09:50:12 AM »

LOL Michael Hayes was the master of the rope criss cross.  Especially when he and the face would criss cross several times and then the face would just stop, leaving Hayes to continue to haul ass back and forth across the ring with his hair flying behind him until Gordy had to get in and catch him and calm him down.  Hayes would be looking around all bewildered at why the other guy wasn't running back and forth too.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 12:36:15 PM »
Is that Schiavonte commentating on that match?  I was not watching a lot at that time, but did not remember him being in the WWWF.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 12:53:26 PM »
Is that Schiavonte commentating on that match?  I was not watching a lot at that time, but did not remember him being in the WWWF.

Yeah, he was there for a very brief time.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 05:07:12 AM »

LOL Michael Hayes was the master of the rope criss cross.  Especially when he and the face would criss cross several times and then the face would just stop, leaving Hayes to continue to haul ass back and forth across the ring with his hair flying behind him until Gordy had to get in and catch him and calm him down.  Hayes would be looking around all bewildered at why the other guy wasn't running back and forth too.

LOL  I had forgotten about that.  I think there was someone else who did that.  There again is something that PLAYED to 'building' the face up a little and making the heel look like shit.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 05:46:18 AM »
I used to get a kick out of the ref "calling for the bell" or actually doing a "10 count" on wrestlers who did run-ins.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 02:32:58 PM »
I used to get a kick out of the ref "calling for the bell" or actually doing a "10 count" on wrestlers who did run-ins.

LMFAO!!!

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 04:44:56 PM »
"Texas Tornado Tag Team Matches"  ...  all four men in the ring

~

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 04:47:22 PM »

Or how about when the ring side anouncer would call out to the crowd "10 minutes remaining. 10 minutes"

That's another old school aspect that I miss. Rules, and strict adherence to them. When it truly seemed like a type of federation whose results MIGHT somehow make the paper rather than just pure mayhem or an obvious choreographed skit where anything goes and a ref isnt even necessary like nowadays.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »
Or how about when the ring side anouncer would call out to the crowd "10 minutes remaining. 10 minutes"

That's another old school aspect that I miss. Rules, and strict adherence to them. When it truly seemed like a type of federation whose results MIGHT somehow make the paper rather than just pure mayhem or an obvious choreographed skit where anything goes and a ref isnt even necessary like nowadays.

I specifically remember seeing an article in the Roanoke Times when I was about ten years old:  Atlas Wins Match But Not Belt ...  he had beaten Ken Patera in a match for the Mid-Atlantic title at the Roanoke Civic Center but the victory was via disqualification.
~

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 05:18:59 PM »
I specifically remember seeing an article in the Roanoke Times when I was about ten years old:  Atlas Wins Match But Not Belt ...  he had beaten Ken Patera in a match for the Mid-Atlantic title at the Roanoke Civic Center but the victory was via disqualification.

Yep. And I am sure it was even covered in person by a newspaper employee. Hell, even a lot of really legitimate sports announcers moonlit on occasion as pro wrestling announcers with a full knowledge of rules, Various holds, suplexes etc etc.

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 03:45:58 PM »
The Daily news would actually have the results listed from MSG after Bruno would beat the heal of the month.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »
The Daily news would actually have the results listed from MSG after Bruno would beat the heal of the month.

Was there ever a time and/or place that bookies would actually take bets on professional wrestling matches?