Author Topic: Romney changes position on Iran position, hours later.  (Read 377 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Romney changes position on Iran position, hours later.
« on: July 29, 2012, 01:05:19 PM »

In jam, Romney tries not to make new Iran policy

Source: AP

JERUSALEM (AP) — Mitt Romney tried to pull back Sunday from an adviser's suggestion that he favored new American aggression on Iran, distancing himself from comments that the U.S. presidential candidate would "respect" an Israeli decision for unilateral military action to prevent Tehran from gaining nuclear capability.

Hours after the aide previewed Romney's upcoming foreign policy speech in Jerusalem, Romney backpedaled and said, "I'll use my own words and that is I respect the right of Israel to defend itself and we stand with Israel. We're two nations that come together in peace and that want to see Iran being dissuaded from its nuclear folly."

The address by the Republican challenger to President Barack Obama was promoted as the centerpiece of a weeklong trip abroad designed to burnish his foreign policy credentials and highlight his ability to lead on the world stage. But the mixed signals on Iran could undermine that goal.

Obama has affirmed the right of Israel to defend itself, while also warning of the consequences of an Israeli strike on Iran. "Already, there is too much loose talk of war," Obama told the American Israel Public Affairs Committee in March. "Now is the time to let our increased pressure sink in and to sustain the broad international coalition we have built."