Author Topic: Olympics thread, live from London  (Read 11767 times)

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
Olympics thread, live from London
« on: August 07, 2012, 06:02:33 PM »
I said I'd do an Olympics thread, so here it is. 

I've not much to say, I'm all Olympics out.  It's totally amazing.

But every time they play the gold medal winning athletes National Anthem I have to stand up and recite God save the Queen.  I'm tired of this so I've switched it off.  I've stood up and sang "victorious, happy and glorious" 22 times now and I'm exhausted...

Comments on our London Olympics please?

xL
in London
I'm thinking it's really rather good

They've invented very clever new verbs:  now they're "medalling" or about to "podium"  They're podiuming and medalling. 

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
Re: Olympics thread, live from London
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 06:13:02 PM »
Dressage

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 06:23:28 PM »
The TV is broken.

I've been watching for 20 minutes but we haven't won a gold medal

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 06:30:44 PM »
@chrishoy
Official Twitter page of Sir Chris Hoy

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
Michael Phelps, waaaaaaaaaaaa

Olympic Champion, 18 Gold Medals

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »
Olympians posting pics of their pets:

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:10:11 PM »
Here for your viewing pleasure are the typeface seen all over everywhere and the vile logo.

Voted as the worst ever typeface invented plus the logo is juvenile crap.  The logo is (if you squint) Lisa Simpson doing oral.

Dreadful logo and typeface.  The typeface is all over everywhere, the buses, the tubes underground, on posters.  Very bad graphic design.  Shameful.

But we're bonkers in GB.  Go Bonkers !

xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 10:15:36 AM »
Belgian cyclist Gijs Van Hoecke has been sent home from the Olympic Games after he was pictured looking worse for wear after a boozy night out.

The 20-year-old was caught on camera being carried out of London nightclub Mahiki with his top and jeans drenched.

Friends, including teammate Jonathan Dufrasne, managed to haul the young cyclist into a taxi, where he appeared to fall asleep.

While he was jokingly awarded the gold medal for partying, the Belgian Olympic Committee failed to see the funny side.

Van Hoecke, who came 15th in the men’s omnium on Sunday, was ordered to pack his bags and was sent straight home.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 10:44:09 AM »
German Discus Gold Medallist Tears Off His Shirt

Then he takes a running jump at the Olympic flame, does a mad dance with his flag, sees that the Hurdles lanes are empty so goes and runs over all of them. 

Then he stays up all night painting the town red (maybe at Mahiki or perhaps a different nightclub). 

A few hours later, in the morning, he is found passed out either on a train or at a train station...

He too has been asked to leave London.

xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
They have relaxed the dress code at Mahiki for these two weeks and you can now get in even if you're wearing trainers

xL

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 07:29:04 AM »
@chrishoy
Official Twitter page of Sir Chris Hoy

This is a great photo.
R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »
the logo sucks, the font is ok though.  Dressage shouldn't be a sport, nor should the gymnists with red balls, or the ones with ribbons. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 07:33:55 AM »
What is the game where they throw around a ball to each other and occasionally bounce it and then throw it into a soccer net for a goal?  It's kind of like basketball only traveling is allowed?
R

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 03:37:53 PM »
lol oh ol.  You're having a laff right?  We're all bonkers here.  Methinks you're talking about the beach volleyball?  Sweden v Brazil?  nice one if you like the ladies...

I was exhausted.

Hey?
They've sold 3 million tickets for the paraolympics

xL
Nottinghill Carnival (2 million people dancing) next weekend.

I watched the diving and the pommel towards the end.  I had to seriously concentrate watching that.  Most men watched the beach volleyball on the other channel.  I think it rained on the day and they had to wear track pants and a tshirt...

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 04:03:19 PM »
What is the game where they throw around a ball to each other and occasionally bounce it and then throw it into a soccer net for a goal?  It's kind of like basketball only traveling is allowed?

Netball (think that was how you lot across the pond later invented basketball?)

I was Centre Forward in the middle all bouncy aged 13 and wore long socks and a tiny grey woollen skirt which never fitted, I had to bounce that bloody buggery ball and then chuck it across.  

Think we prefer beach volleyball no?  Bish bash simples, no goal

xL

Yep, I played hockey too.  Ouch.  I have my hockey stick. Scars on my knees to prove it.  I travelled with that from Canada to here and I was allowed to bring my hockey stick as carry-on.  Another time I took in my hand a baseball bat from JFK NY to London Heathrow.  You couldnt' do that nowadays...

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 04:28:49 PM »
Odd innit or funny that the long distance people are mad skinny but the short haul lot are so muscley?

I'll post pix of mo and bolt later.  Do compare

xL

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 07:29:57 PM »
What is the game where they throw around a ball to each other and occasionally bounce it and then throw it into a soccer net for a goal?  It's kind of like basketball only traveling is allowed?

handball

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 06:39:47 AM »
i think if you kick it into a net it's called soccer in your language, or football if you're from across the pond (or Latin American?.

I don't think you are allowed to throw it, that's called handball (as in maradonna?)  Punch it.  Or beach volleyball.  We loved the beach volleyball, Sweden v Brasil was (no I lie, it didn't happen, I don't think they got to the final).  But imagine Sweden v Brasil in bikinis on a beach outside a Palace in London?  waaaaaaaaa

I'm hugely into the footie.  Me grandad played for Liverpool, I'm blood! xL
All the Olympians are all over the breakfast tv sofas with their medals.  Lovely smiley people.

Didya see the naked pix of Prince Harry in Las Vegas?  We're screaming over here, We're mad.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 12:52:08 PM »
There's no action on this thread, none whatsoever yawn.  Where are you and what are you doing?  The top topic on the Sports Board is Softball.  Softball?

xL

I have recently realised that when I post I sound like a bloke.  I post hard.  Sorry but I rarely write on the male boards, they're horrid there.  I like our Girly Board, but it takes ages...

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 01:15:32 PM »
There were 204+ countries competing.  Countries I'd never heard of.  I need to keep up and learn the countries, not watch 11x6foot tall men bouncing or kicking or hitting with a stick whilst skating on ice a ball into a loop.  A puck.  I can't believe I used to watch hockey.  When I lived in Canada I got into the hockey.  I watched the hockey.  I'd go see hockey live.  They had no news in Canada, no politics, just a bit of hockey.  I must've been mad.

I have just rewatched the opening ceremony.  All of it.  All of the 200+ countries.  When I was a child my Dad sat me down and said watch this, this is history, this is the Olympics.  And I sat and watched all the different people and all the different flags.  I adore the Olympics.  Wonderful.

xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 02:07:31 PM »
Tom Daley, our boy heartthrob diver who got a bronze, has gotten a tat.

I'm looking at this sideways and it looks like the circles aren't even joined up.

Mark Foster, our best previous Olympian from 12 or 16 years ago has the proper tat, the one on his heart.  He was done out of his medal because the guy who beat him (the person what won) was on steroids.  Imagine missing out on an Olympics.  Nice tat

xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 02:34:14 PM »
^

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 03:22:31 PM »
But on the other hand, another opinion here, I wouldn't mind if they did a full-on take all the drugs you can get bigger Olympics.  

Don't you think that'd be mad?  They could all do everything and set records backwards.

Only kidding.  Not.

Paralympics upcoming.  That'll be fantastic.
xL[/b]
[/color]

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 05:08:15 PM »
Paralympic athletes who harm themselves to perform better
By Matt McGrath
Science reporter, BBC World Service

Continue reading the main story
In today's Magazine

The Monitor
Would you break your toe to win a Paralympic medal? Would you sit on a sharp object or strangulate your testicles? It's cheating, but a scientist who will be monitoring athletes at the Paralympic Games says a third of competitors with spinal injuries may be harming themselves to boost their performance.

The practice, called "boosting", is designed to increase blood pressure and enhance performance.

It's banned by the International Paralympics Committee (IPC), but some researchers say these are the desperate acts of athletes trying to compete on a level playing field.

"There have been times where I would specifically give my leg or my toe a couple of really good electric shocks" says Brad Zdanivsky, a 36-year-old Canadian quadriplegic climber who has experimented with boosting in the gym.

Common boosting techniques

Overfilling the bladder, by clamping a catheter
Sitting on a drawing pin
Use of tight leg straps
Twisting and/or sitting on the scrotum
Cracking or breaking a bone
"That would make my blood pressure jump up and I could do more weights and cycle harder - it is effective."

One British journalist with years of experience covering the Paralympics says he has heard of athletes using small hammers to crack or break a toe.

The point of these activities is to raise the athlete's blood pressure and heart rate.

Isn't high blood pressure bad?

James Gallagher
Health and Science reporter, BBC News
High blood pressure causes millions of deaths each year around the world, so it may come as a surprise to hear of athletes deliberately "boosting" theirs.

But a raised heart rate and blood pressure are advantages during exercise, as they help deliver more oxygen to hard-working muscles, enabling the athlete to keep going.

For most people, heart rate and blood pressure rise naturally when physical activity increases. But this is not always the case after a spinal cord injury, meaning competitors could tire sooner.

In the world of elite sports, "boosting" could make the difference between winning and losing. But it also boosts the chance of a heart attack or stroke.

When able-bodied competitors engage in hard physical activities like running or swimming, blood pressure and heart rate increase automatically. Athletes with spinal injuries do not get that response. "Boosting" is a short cut to higher blood pressure and the improved performance that comes with it.

In medical terms it's defined as the deliberate induction of a dangerous condition common to quadriplegics called autonomic dysreflexia (AD). Many everyday activities that cause discomfort, even something as trivial as sunburn, can set off the condition naturally.

Zdanivsky turned to boosting when his spine was crushed in a car accident in 1994, because he didn't want the injury to curb his passion for mountain climbing.

"I tried several different ways of doing it. You can allow your bladder to fill, basically don't go to the bathroom for a few hours and let that pain from your bladder do it.

"Some people do that in sports by clipping off a catheter to let the bladder fill - that's the easiest and the most common - and you can quickly get rid of that pain stimulus by letting the urine drain out.

"I took it a notch further by using an electrical stimulus on my leg, my toe and even my testicles."

But boosting comes at a price.

"You are getting a blood pressure spike that could quite easily blow a vessel behind your eye or cause a stroke in your brain," says Zdanivsky.

Brad Zdanivsky is a passionate mountain climber
"It can actually stop your heart. It's very unpleasant, but the results are hard to deny. The saying is that winners always want the ball, so it doesn't matter if it's unpleasant, it gets results."

The IPC has been aware of the problem for many years. Boosting has has been banned since 1994.

But remarkably little scientific research has been done to assess how many athletes are willing to take these extreme measures to improve their performance.

A survey carried out by the IPC during the Beijing Paralympics indicated that around 17% of those who responded had used boosting. Some experts believe the real figure could be higher.

Find out more

This week the BBC World Service presents a series of programmes about the Paralympics
Listen to Matt McGrath's programme
Download a podcast
More from BBC World Service
Could it be as high as 30%, I asked Dr Andrei Krassioukov, an associate professor at the University of British Columbia and an experienced researcher into spinal injuries?

"Correct. It is possible," he replied.

"I will tell you right now as a physician people want to feel better, first of all - they feel better with their blood pressure higher. But a second thing driving it is the desire to win, to have a fair playing field with other paralympic athletes who have higher blood pressure."

While many athletes with spinal injuries will suffer from low blood pressure, there is considerable variation from one individual to the next.

Athletes' confessions in Beijing survey

Participants were specifically asked the question: "Have you ever intentionally induced autonomic dysreflexia to boost your performance in training or competition?"

Of the 60 participants who responded, 10 (16.7%) responded affirmatively while 50 (83.3%) responded negatively.

All the positive responses were obtained from the male participants, with the majority competing in wheelchair rugby (55.5%), followed by wheelchair marathon (22.2%) and long distance racing (22.2%)

Beijing survey for World Anti-Doping Agency
"There is still a disadvantage between paralympians who have normal blood pressure and those who don't and this puts a significant number of athletes at a disadvantage," Krassioukov says.

"As a physician I totally understand why these Olympians are doing this, but as a scientist I am horrified with these events."

He believes that changes to the system of classification would help - for example by changing the points system that aims to ensure that teams with a roughly equal level of overall disability compete against one another in wheelchair rugby and basketball.

Currently, the system takes no account of blood pressure and heart rate.

IPC Chief Medical Officer Peter Van de Vliet says he has no data that would support or disprove Krassioukov's estimate that up to 30% of paralympians with spinal injuries engage in boosting.

It's an unacceptable practice, he says, and the IPC has no sympathy with the idea that it levels the field of play.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 06:01:56 AM »
There's no action on this thread, none whatsoever yawn.  Where are you and what are you doing?  The top topic on the Sports Board is Softball.  Softball?b]

The Olympics are over and no one cares about London or England anymore.  It was a one-trick pony.  sorry.