Author Topic: Went to a bday party on Saturday [BB related]  (Read 4200 times)

Rhomboids

• Getbig III
Went to a bday party on Saturday [BB related]
« on: August 12, 2012, 07:02:02 PM »
I did a set of benches before going in since they had a pool.  Right then.

These people are rich.  Not 'they make a few hundred grand a year' rich, but really rich.  Like house with great view, boat, a bunch of bedrooms, maids, the whole deal.  They made their own money though so it's not like they were always that rich.  They started a business, it did great, sold it for millions.  Now they're constantly working on other stuff to bring to the market.  but i digress.

While there, i had a little moment of clarity.  I'm looking around their big ass house and looking at their TV.  It's a fairly standard flat TV LCD deal that's a few years old.  In contrast, everyone of my friends that its in deep fucking debt has a better TV then these guys do.  However, unlike me or my friends, these guys couldn't give two shits about impressing someone by having a 70" LCD that comes out of the floor because they, you and your 2nd cousin know that money they do have.

Even their cars are not what you'd expect.  They don't have a driver and are not pushing a ride that comes anywhere near a tiny percentage of what they're worth.  You can chuck it down to them not being into fancy cars, but mostly to seeing it as a waste of money. 

I was looking at Best Buy online and seeing all these TVs that are newer in model from mine, thinking i should find an excuse to replace it.  And then i realized that i'm just falling to the same bullshit trap of consumerism - thinking that something else is somehow better than what i have.  It's a stupid game and though i'm not as much of a victim as others, i'm still playing it a little. 

Why the fuck should i care what people think of my car (GS Lexus, btw), or my TV or my kicks?  But strangely, at some level, I do enjoy the kind of acknowledgment that i get from others from it. 

I'll end this here because i'm afraid i'm hitting the TL;DR threshold of internets...

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
Re: Went to a bday party on Saturday [BB related]
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 07:06:59 PM »
they are rich because they know the first law of wealth accumulation: spend fucking less than you earn

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 07:11:22 PM »
Dude, you can't accrue wealth while being in debt. I drive a 2007 ford truck that's paid for, my wife's car is paid for, and we make smart decisions. Even if I was filthy rich, I wouldn't drive an expensive car. I'd probably have a nice classic car though, like a Boss 302, but that would be more an investment. Either way, I'm not a car snob, and don't blow my money on shit, I worked too hard to get it. I'd rather take trips and have memories than some stupid television that will be obsolete in 3 years anyway, or a depreciating asset like a car that's worth 75% of what you paid for it right after leaving the lot.

MikMaq

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 07:21:53 PM »
So you've realized what most of those people learn at the age of 7.

This keeping up appearances shit really grinds my gears. How the fuck are people so emotionally bankrupt that this can even be a topic of discussion ??? ??? ??? ???

Reality check unless your worth several million you got no money. Were all broke time people start understanding this.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 07:23:33 PM »

This keeping up appearances shit really grinds my gears. How the fuck are people so emotionally bankrupt that this can even be a topic of discussion ??? ??? ??? ???

Reality check unless your worth several million you got no money. Were all broke time people start understanding this.

Not true, a lot of people try to live a life they can't afford.

MikMaq

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 07:25:25 PM »
Not true, a lot of people try to live a life they can't afford.
Because there stupid. Are you trolling, this should be the first step on a intelligence quiz. Seriously where the fuck is true adonis when you need him. Jews figured this shit out in like the 15 century, why the fuck is it so hard for white trash to figure out.

bighead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 07:26:32 PM »

I blame the Kardashians, have you seen the combined intellectual ability on that show? astounding.. and people reallly watch it.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 07:28:37 PM »
Because there stupid. Are you trolling, this should be the first step on a intelligence quiz. Seriously where the fuck is true adonis when you need him. Jews figured this shit out in like the 15 century, why the fuck is it so hard for white trash to figure out.

Yep, what I'm saying is that there's a lot of people like that.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 07:46:58 PM »
Tell us, please.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

MikMaq

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 07:50:43 PM »
Tell us, please.
Is this code for your pointlessly in debt?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 08:01:44 PM »
Is this code for your pointlessly in debt?
LOL, tell us again how "there" stupid. ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 08:04:04 PM »
What the hell is going on in this thread on this fine fucking Sunday - Thanks.
#

Psychopath

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM DIME PIECE TRANNY
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 08:10:22 PM »
As long as you can afford your desired luxuries, it's ok to have them.

MikMaq

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 08:18:42 PM »
LOL, tell us again how "there" stupid. ;D
Could care less about some trivial feature of the english language. It has no value and is meaningless. Just like most of the superficial bullshit the average person gets on with.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 08:21:20 PM »
Could care less about some trivial feature of the english language. It has no value and is meaningless. Just like most of the superficial bullshit the average person gets on with.

It's actually "couldn't" care less.

I am just bustin' your chops  :) :) ;)
X

Psychopath

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM DIME PIECE TRANNY
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 08:24:17 PM »
ahahahhaah, RAtard is quite the dummy. If you're going to use a language, use it properly as intended. Why the disrespect?

MikMaq

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 08:25:54 PM »
It's actually "couldn't" care less.

I am just bustin' your chops  :) :) ;)
Actually it's  I couldn't care less. But it can be shortened, as it's an emotional phrase but whatever.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 08:36:54 PM »
Actually it's  I couldn't care less. But it can be shortened, as it's an emotional phrase but whatever.

Yes, I know. You had "could" not "couldn't"

Meh, I suck at grammar on the internet as well. It's not important enough to pay attention to.
X

Rhomboids

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 08:59:45 PM »

Thanks genius.  We all know this shit but are you telling me you don't fucking buy something you can't afford properly?  Did you buy shoes at payless back in the day?  Nikey instead of Nikes?

And don't call people stupid when you can't tell the difference between they're and 'there'. 

Imbecile. 

MikMaq

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 09:13:18 PM »
Thanks genius.  We all know this shit but are you telling me you don't fucking buy something you can't afford properly?  Did you buy shoes at payless back in the day?  Nikey instead of Nikes?

And don't call people stupid when you can't tell the difference between they're and 'there'. 

Imbecile. 
The written difference is to signify the contraction of they are, while their is the genitive case meaning it shows possession. These distinctions are not needed in modern english, it's completely pointless, and is a part of a pointless legacy that the english language is stuck in.

I buy expensive quality shoes because I can afford them, and they are crucial to having good posture. I'm not  some hippy that's against buying shit. Consumerism has never been the problem. It's the narcissism of society that is the problem. I'm a student I live a students lifestyle, I save money when working, I've taken breaks from school to avoid debts, I've spent time living with my parents, my parents at there most indebtedness owed 20k in 1989 so they also helped pay for my school, I have transferred schools to avoid debt, and I'm in a program that allows me to work just as much as I'm in school. It's not because I'm smart it's because I'm an adult doing the bare minimum.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 10:21:13 PM »
Back in 2003 I was working as a baseball instructor. This guy comes in on an old piece of shit f150, dressed like a bum. He buys a package of 5 lessons that I gave him a discount on because he looked so poor and he wanted his son to get better. I felt bad for them so charged him half price. He pays for it with the black MasterCard(or whatever it was i forget now). I had remembered seeing a show on that card on MTV. Only a dozen of them available in the US. You had to put a million dollars on it every year. I googled his name after he left. Turns out he was the owner of an investment company on wall street amongst many other things. So he was one of the wealthiest people in the world.

After I got to know him I asked why he drives that truck. He said cars are he worst investment you can make. Never forgot that.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 12:58:03 AM »
I did a set of benches before going in since they had a pool.  Right then.

These people are rich.  Not 'they make a few hundred grand a year' rich, but really rich.  Like house with great view, boat, a bunch of bedrooms, maids, the whole deal.  They made their own money though......

And thats exactly how far I read it, no they did NOT, they made their money on the back of other people - I fucking hate that when rich business people say that... its the usual suggestive fucking lying language these people are using.
Now if the guy would be an actor or artist or author or what ever THAN he or she would have made their fortune by themself, but going to a bank and using every little connection you have since you were lucky that your parents could afford to send you to harvard and you were good looking enough to join the right soronity is NOT making it by yourself.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 10:49:38 AM »
And thats exactly how far I read it, no they did NOT, they made their money on the back of other people - I fucking hate that when rich business people say that... its the usual suggestive fucking lying language these people are using.

No, they made money because they had an idea, invested in it, risked their money to make it work, and it worked.  The people who worked for them didn't have to work for them, they can work for whomever they want.  That is the problem with some people. If people work hard, built something up, oh well - they did it with others helping them.  True, but they took the risk.

As for the story, good point.  I am always amazed at when people ask why dont you have a more expensive car, or the latest gizmo.  Why?  I enjoy the idea that I accumulate wealth a little at a time, and while others struggle paycheck to paycheck, I understand the simple notion that you dont spend more than you make.  I dont need $800 hubcaps, or a $3,000 stereo system.  (Although the camera I have with the lens with about that much)...

Most people in the $1 million+ wealth range, you wouldnt even know about.  They look and are quite normal.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 10:52:47 AM »
No, they made money because they had an idea, invested in it, risked their money to make it work, and it worked.  The people who worked for them didn't have to work for them, they can work for whomever they want.  That is the problem with some people. If people work hard, built something up, oh well - they did it with others helping them.  True, but they took the risk.

As for the story, good point.  I am always amazed at when people ask why dont you have a more expensive car, or the latest gizmo.  Why?  I enjoy the idea that I accumulate wealth a little at a time, and while others struggle paycheck to paycheck, I understand the simple notion that you dont spend more than you make.  I dont need $800 hubcaps, or a $3,000 stereo system.  (Although the camera I have with the lens with about that much)...

Most people in the $1 million+ wealth range, you wouldnt even know about.  They look and are quite normal.

Well, you need an expensive camera for your schmoe sessions.
X

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 11:01:45 AM »

;D, hubcaps, haha

But, I totally agree with that post.  I have my company, and really don't do any labor tasks these days, but it wasn't always like that.  I took the risk up front, I put in the hours, and I grew the business.  I have employees that do the grunt work now, but they get paid for that like you said.  My best asset is not being a laborer, it's thinking about, and getting more business.  I now have the time to look for other revenue streams while I have my employees out in the field doing the jobs we have.  I don't pretend they aren't an integral part of my company, they are, but they don't share the same burden as I do.  All but one of my guys out in the field are on salary, and their workload is given to them, and if they finish early, that's fine they can go home.  They get paid to sit at home if we have a good amount of rain, but I still have to come up with the money to pay them.  Alot of people seem to think that once you've made it, you should just hand it over to your workers, but that's not the case.  I took the gamble, and it paid off, so I take my rewards.  That being said, I give my guys bonuses quarterly and also if they've busted their asses I give them random cash, but to give them more than that, or on par with what I pay myself would be stupid.