Author Topic: Lyin' Ryan denied asking for stimulus funds  (Read 2832 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Lyin' Ryan denied asking for stimulus funds
« on: August 16, 2012, 02:00:55 PM »
WASHINGTON _ After seeking millions of dollars from a federal stimulus program he opposed on grounds it would not help the economy, Republican vice presidential candidate Rep. Paul Ryan then appeared on a Boston talk radio program and denied he lobbied the Obama administration for the home state aid -- a paper trail he sought to deny again on the campaign trail.

On October 28, 2010, after the Wisconsin Republican penned at least five letters to two federal departments seeking grants under the Obama administration’s economic recovery package, Ryan responded to a caller on WBZ’s Nightside with Dan Rea who asked if he sought any of the money. Ryan said that he would not vote against something “then write to the government to ask them to send us money.”

“I did not request any stimulus money,” he continued.

In response to a request from the Boston Globe, the CBS affiliate replayed the audio for a reporter on Thursday.

Continue reading below ▼

Related
■Paul Ryan criticizes China policy that he voted against changing
■8/14: Ryan sought stimulus funds while decrying program  Ryan’s campaign spokesman, Brendan Buck, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In an interview yesterday with an Ohio television station, Ryan repeated the denial, before quickly adding “I don’t recall.”

In an interview with Cincinnati’s WCPO-TV, Congressman Paul Ryan denied asking for stimulus funds, despite having written multiple letters to the federal government requesting stimulus dollars for his district.

Ryan, who was selected to be former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney’s running mate on Saturday, was one of the most vocal critics of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, a $787 billion package of government investment designed to bolster the economy in the midst of a deepening recession.

In voting against it he called the legislation a “wasteful spending spree” and warned that it would not provide the right kind of help, instead advocating more tax cuts.

“This trillion dollar spending bill misses the mark on all counts,” Ryan said in a statement at the time issued by his office. “This is not a crisis we can spend and borrow our way out of – that is how we got here in the first place.”

But beginning in the fall of 2009, the Globe first reported on Tuesday, he sent the first of a series of letters to the Department of Energy on behalf of a pair of Wisconsin energy conservation groups, insisting the funds would help create jobs.

For example, Ryan predicted that a grant being sought by the Madison-based Wisconsin Energy Conservation Corporation would “create or retain approximately 7,600 new jobs over the three-year grant period and the subsequent three years.”

The letter continued: “I was pleased that the primary objectives of their project will allow residents and businesses in the partner cities to reduce their energy costs, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and stimulate the local economy by creating new jobs.”

The organization ultimately received $20 million in economy stimulus funds, while another entity that he advocated for, the Energy Center of Wisconsin, was awarded a separate $740,000, according to federal records.

Asked about the letters to the Department of Energy on Monday, Ryan’s spokesman declined to comment and pointed the Globe to a statement from Ryan’s Capitol Hill office from 2010 when the Wall Street Journal reported he had written a single letter to the Department of Labor seeking stimulus funds.

“If Congressman Ryan is asked to help a Wisconsin entity applying for existing federal grant funds, he does not believe flawed policy should get in the way of doing his job and providing a legitimate constituent service to his employers,” the 2010 statement said.

But that behind-the-scenes advocacy did not prevent him from continuing his public attacks on the stimulus bill.

“All this temporary booster shot stimulus didn’t work in the stimulus package, didn’t work when the last administration tried these things, so we don’t want to go with ideas that have proven to fail, we want ideas that have proven to succeed,” he said in an interview on MSNBC in September 2011. “I think tax reform is the key.”

Even when asked about it by the caller on WBZ, he stuck to his guns.

“I assume you voted against the stimulus,” the caller began. “I’m just curious if you accepted any money in your district.”

“No, I’m not one (of those) people who votes for something then writes to the government to ask them to send us money. I did not request any stimulus money,” Ryan responded.

The audio of the 2010 show was pulled from the WBZ archives by programming and news director Peter Casey and played for the Globe by a station technician. The Globe was alerted to the exchange by one of the station’s listeners.

Ryan has been on Nightside with Dan Rea several times in recent years, including in April 2011.

It was during the same 2010 interview when Ryan denied seeking stimulus funds that Rea also predicted that the then 4o-year-old congressman would be the GOP vice presidential candidate in 2012.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Lyin' Ryan denied asking for stimulus funds
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 02:47:42 PM »
I'm suprised that Romney and Ryan didn't compete in the Olympics in the triple flip flop

Ryan has been a devotee of Ayn Rand since he was a teenager

It was only seven years ago that Ryan delivered a speech to the Atlas Society in which he praised Rand and credited the woman as his inspiration for entering politics.

“I grew up reading Ayn Rand and it taught me quite a bit about who I am and what my value systems are, and what my beliefs are. It’s inspired me so much that it’s required reading in my office for all my interns and my staff. We start with Atlas Shrugged…”

Yet we're supposed to believe that this allegedly smart guy was utterly clueless about her philosopy until just this year when he said in an interview with the National Review:

“I reject her philosophy,” Ryan says firmly. “It’s an atheist philosophy. It reduces human interactions down to mere contracts and it is antithetical to my worldview. If somebody is going to try to paste a person’s view on epistemology to me, then give me Thomas Aquinas,” who believed that man needs divine help in the pursuit of knowledge. “Don’t give me Ayn Rand,” he says.

http://www.webpronews.com/ayn-rand-disowned-by-vp-candidate-paul-ryan-2012-08

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »
look, i have an emotion-based assessment of Ryan that I'd like to keep.

I don't need these "facts" messing up my pre-conceived beliefs about him, okay?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 03:02:48 PM »
look, i have an emotion-based assessment of Ryan that I'd like to keep.

I don't need these "facts" messing up my pre-conceived beliefs about him, okay?

if it's in his personal self interest to lie about Ayn Rand then he would be totally consistent with her philosopy to publicy pretend to reject her

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »
if it's in his personal self interest to lie about Ayn Rand then he would be totally consistent with her philosopy to publicy pretend to reject her

i read 7 years ago he was one of her most vocal supporters.  loved her.  had his entire staff reading that drivel.

Has he since rejected these extremist beliefs that he preached for years?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 03:05:45 PM »

i highly doubt a staunch and consistent conservative liike Romney would stand for such flip-flopping.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 08:52:56 AM »

Lyin' Ryan
Source: ABC News

After repeated denials, Paul Ryan has admitted he requested stimulus cash even after sharply criticizing the program.

Ryan had denied doing so as recently as Wednesday, when he spoke to ABC’s Cincinnati affiliate, WCPO, in Ohio.

“I never asked for stimulus,” Ryan said. “I don’t recall… so I really can’t comment on it. I opposed the stimulus because it doesn’t work, it didn’t work.”

Two years ago, during an interview on WBZ’s NewsRadio he was asked by a caller if he “accepted any money” into his district. Ryan said he did not.

“I’m not one people who votes for something then writes to the government to ask them to send us money. I did not request any stimulus money,” the congressman answered.

But as we’ve now learned, Ryan did write letters. He did request stimulus funds.

(...)

Read more: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/08/presented-with-letters-ryan-admits-requesting-stimulus-cash/

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 08:57:13 AM »
TV reporting that Ryan is doing a bit of backtracking on the stim funds issue now.

:D

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 09:34:33 AM »
oh the hypocrisy   ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 09:37:12 AM »
I dont care about the hypocrisy of shitting on stim bill from minute 1 til today, then asking for money.

BUT

I do care about him lying about it.  Denying to this day that the stim benefitted anyone - when he saw with his own eyes the jobs that the stim $ created in his down.  Most of the industry in his small Wisc town is from federal dollars actually.  His own district depends on fed dollars for survival.

He's bright, but he can't lie like this anymore - making him look like shit.  And he's the GOOD part of this ticket.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 09:41:05 AM »
lets face it little eddie munster is a liar

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 09:41:44 AM »
lets face it little eddie munster is a liar

Did Paul Ryan lie here?

Don't be afraid to answer.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »
i read 7 years ago he was one of her most vocal supporters.  loved her.  had his entire staff reading that drivel.

Has he since rejected these extremist beliefs that he preached for years?

Its all perfectly reasonable.  He read her books and said they influenced him to get into politics and he even required his staff to read them but it turns out that he never really undersrtood them and had no clue that Rand was an atheist.   When he found this out (maybe one of his interns explained it to him) he was horrified and felt the need to publicly reject her.

That is perfectly understandable

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 10:21:08 AM »

Did Paul Ryan lie here?

hahahaha for someone that shows up in every single thread on the board, he isn't anywhere to be found here.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 10:33:38 AM »
hahahaha for someone that shows up in every single thread on the board, he isn't anywhere to be found here.

I'm sure our self proclaimed Resident Objectivist can explain how its possible for Ryan to be influenced by and worship Rand while simultaneously having no clue what her philosophy really is all about

Its perfectly reasonable to not be aware that Rand was an atheist because she always denied it when asked about it.....right?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 10:47:15 AM »

Did Paul Ryan lie here?

Looks like it. 

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 11:11:59 AM »

Did Paul Ryan lie here?

Don't be afraid to post here:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=436716.0

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 01:11:51 PM »
he really screwed himself with this.  Combine this kind of in your face lying with Mitt's honesty, hiding something and flip flop problems...  this looks horrible.

I mean really? ::)

"I never asked for stimulus," Ryan said. "I don't recall… so I really can't comment on it. I opposed the stimulus because it doesn't work, it didn't work."

Two years ago, during an interview on WBZ's NewsRadio he was asked by a caller if he "accepted any money" into his district. Ryan said he did not.

"I'm not one [of those] people who votes for something then writes to the government to ask them to send us money. I did not request any stimulus money," the congressman answered.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 02:21:12 PM »
he really screwed himself with this.  Combine this kind of in your face lying with Mitt's honesty, hiding something and flip flop problems...  this looks horrible.

I mean really? ::)

"I never asked for stimulus," Ryan said. "I don't recall… so I really can't comment on it. I opposed the stimulus because it doesn't work, it didn't work."

Two years ago, during an interview on WBZ's NewsRadio he was asked by a caller if he "accepted any money" into his district. Ryan said he did not.

"I'm not one [of those] people who votes for something then writes to the government to ask them to send us money. I did not request any stimulus money," the congressman answered.

He has since admitted he was wrong.  Those of us with a brain know he's lying.  3333386 admitted Paul Ryan was lying.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 11:51:51 AM »
Paul Ryan Tells Fox: ‘I Didn’t Know About’ The Letters I Signed Asking For Stimulus Funds

Paul Ryan Tells Fox: ‘I Didn’t Know About’ The Letters I Signed Asking For Stimulus Funds
By Igor Volsky on Aug 18, 2012 at 1:32 pm

During an interview with Fox News’ Carl Cameron on Saturday, Paul Ryan tried to explain why he denied requesting stimulus funds for a local energy company in 2009 after voting against and demagoguing the Recovery Act. “My office sends tens of thousands of letters to various federal agencies and this goes through what we call a case work system and we treat it as a case work for constituents,” Ryan said:

RYAN: I didn’t know about the letters until recently and they were brought to my attention, they were to the case work system and I take full responsibility for that. The point I’m trying to make is stimulus was a failure.

:D :D :D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »

By Igor Volsky on Aug 18, 2012 at 1:32 pm

During an interview with Fox News’ Carl Cameron on Saturday, Paul Ryan tried to explain why he denied requesting stimulus funds for a local energy company in 2009 after voting against and demagoguing the Recovery Act. “My office sends tens of thousands of letters to various federal agencies and this goes through what we call a case work system and we treat it as a case work for constituents,” Ryan said:

RYAN: I didn’t know about the letters until recently and they were brought to my attention, they were to the case work system and I take full responsibility for that. The point I’m trying to make is stimulus was a failure.

:D :D :D

So Ryan is saying that tax breaks don't stimulate the economy and create jobs

Glad we finally got that settled