Author Topic: Paul Ryan: A Big Government Conservative  (Read 2568 times)

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
Paul Ryan: A Big Government Conservative
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:06:15 AM »
Mitt Romney’s selection of Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan as his running mate has been well received by the Republican faithful. Movement conservatives in particular have been energized with the pick given that, unlike Romney, Ryan is actually one of them.

The enthusiasm from the Republican right is hardly surprising — these days a GOP candidate need only oppose a Democrat’s expansion of government-provided health care, promise to protect the military-industrial complex, and talk a good game about free markets to win their support. For libertarians and those in the tea party movement who yearn for a federal government that adheres to the limits prescribed in the Constitution, Ryan offers temptation but not much else.

Having suffered through four years of a Democratic administration reeking of collectivism and disdain for private initiative, Ryan might seem like a breath of fresh air to the smaller-government crowd. Unlike the average member of Congress, Ryan actually puts some thought into his policy prescriptions. And Ryan recognizes that unsustainable entitlement spending is driving our long-term fiscal problems and has actually attempted to do something about it. While those are positive qualities, policymakers have set the bar so low that it’s possible to make more of these attributes than is warranted.

So what if Paul Ryan was delving into the federal budget when he was still in high school? I didn’t peek at a federal budget until I was out of college. Yet there is no way I would have cast the votes in Congress that Ryan has through the years. Ryan voted for TARP, the auto bailouts, No Child Left Behind, the Medicare prescription drug benefit, the Bush stimulus, the Patriot Act, and military adventurism abroad. No policymaker is perfect, but no one with a libertarian bone in their body could have supported these policies.

In fact, for all the talk about Ryan the policy wonk, he’s still a politician through and through. Ryan might not have supported Obama’s stimulus package, but that didn’t stop him from sending letters to Energy Secretary Steven Chu asking for taxpayer handouts to organizations back in his district. Apologists will argue that he was just taking care of his constituents, which is his job. If you’re going to accept that excuse then don’t complain about the inability of Congress to get spending under control.

But let’s set aside Ryan’s decidedly big-government voting record and his willingness to grovel for taxpayer handouts. The federal budget’s unsustainable trajectory is arguably the paramount issue facing the nation. Ryan has cultivated a reputation as a budget guru and his selection as Romney’s running mate ensures that fiscal policy will be at the forefront of the campaign. Ideally, that would set the stage for a badly needed public debate on the size and — more importantly — the scope of government. Unfortunately, it’s probably not going to happen and here’s why.

Democrats and the left have already wasted no time in pillorying Ryan as a heartless ideologue who wants to balance the budget on the backs of the poor and downtrodden. Among the accusations being lobbed at Ryan are that he would destroy the middle class, starve the poor, and sacrifice a calf to Ayn Rand on the White House lawn. I made that last one up, but the point is that Ryan’s presence on the ticket is going to generate hysterics of epic proportions from the left.

While I’m more than sympathetic to criticism that Ryan wants to bolster the warfare state at the expense of the welfare state, the notion that he wishes to tear down the federal government’s so-called social safety net is utter nonsense. The latest version of Ryan’s “Pathway to Prosperity” budget plan merely tinkers with the federal welfare state. Yes, Ryan’s idea to turn food stamps, Medicaid, and other entitlement programs into block grants to the states could save money. Yes, transforming Medicare from the current fee-for-service program to a premium-support model might be more efficient. But regardless of what one thinks of these ideas, their implementation would do virtually nothing to limit the scope of the federal government’s activities.

Read more: http://www.downsizinggovernment.org/paul-ryan-a-big-government-conservative

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Paul Ryan: A Big Government Conservative
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 09:14:50 AM »
This is true.   

I dont think any getbigger ever claimed Paul Ryan was a tea party guy, or that he had a solid fiscal record.

he's a big spender.  Nobody here denies that.  Supported Tarp, begged for stim funds.  he did lie about it a bit, he was embarassed, can't blame him.

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:17:52 AM »
It's still important to point out.  ;D

The most important step for conservatives and libertarians will not be kicking Obama and the Democrats out of power - but putting pressure on their own politicians after the Republicans take back the White House and the Senate. If the grassroots fails to do that, then we can expect a repeat of the Bush-Obama experience.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 09:35:06 AM »
Tom Morello Reacts to Paul Ryan citing Rage as his fave band

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:37:40 AM »
Tom Morello is also an idiot.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 09:45:12 AM »
Do you think Morello or Ryan would do a better job shrinking the US deficit?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »

what part of what he is quoting as saying is not correct

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 04:52:10 PM »
aint no lie, I dont know a politician who isnt big govt in some way or another.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 04:53:37 PM »

lets start with all the rage that ryan has towards ppl ::)

fuking idiots...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 04:57:40 PM »
lets start with all the rage that ryan has towards ppl ::)

fuking idiots...

Are you Howards spokesperson now?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 05:04:39 PM »
did you not like my response pookie?

sorry to burst your bubble

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 05:29:09 PM »
aint no lie, I dont know a politician who isnt big govt in some way or another.
Bernie Sanders and Medal of Honor winner Daniel Inouye.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 05:31:24 PM »
did you not like my response pookie?

sorry to burst your bubble

pookie? ......did you actually intend to type that?

your response makes no sense, as usual

Morello was correct that Ryan is "raging" against all those groups, starting with women

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 05:35:39 PM »
pookie? ......did you actually intend to type that?

your response makes no sense, as usual

Morello was correct that Ryan is "raging" against all those groups, starting with women

LOL reach on moron

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 05:42:26 PM »
LOL reach on moron

you haven't a clue what I'm referring to even though I explained it to you yesterday

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 05:46:34 PM »

Saying that Paul Ryan has a rage against women, minorities, etc. makes as much sense as saying that Obama has a rage against white people.

Yes he is.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 05:55:30 PM »
Saying that Paul Ryan has a rage against women, minorities, etc. makes as much sense as saying that Obama has a rage against white people.

I don't know his stance on minorities but his position on womens reproductive rights is definitely a battle he is waging and raging

Given that you think abortions should be allowed up to the day of birth I don't see how you can agree with Ryans belief that life begins basically the moment of ejaculation and that the state has dominion over the womans body

Yes he is.

keep interviewing candidates - you can do better

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 06:27:19 PM »
I don't know his stance on minorities but his position on womens reproductive rights is definitely a battle he is waging and raging

Given that you think abortions should be allowed up to the day of birth I don't see how you can agree with Ryans belief that life begins basically the moment of ejaculation and that the state has dominion over the womans body

I don't agree with his view - but I understand where pro-lifers come from. They are not anti-woman.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 06:28:57 PM »
I don't agree with his view - but I understand where pro-lifers come from. They are not anti-woman.

I'm sure "some" are... but more than being "anti-woman", they are "anti-freedom."

Making sure you are not free to do what you want to with your body... These are the same people who often dislike birth control and condoms, (albeit to a lesser extent).

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 06:35:49 PM »
I'm sure "some" are... but more than being "anti-woman", they are "anti-freedom."

Making sure you are not free to do what you want to with your body... These are the same people who often dislike birth control and condoms, (albeit to a lesser extent).

Anti-freedom is subjective. If someone believes that life is created at the moment of conception then it is murder to them. No different than the ass clown walking into a theater and shooting people.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 06:37:18 PM »
Anti-freedom is subjective. If someone believes that life is created at the moment of conception then it is murder to them. No different than the ass clown walking into a theater and shooting people.

Yeah, but those people who believe that are also the same people who are ok with capital punishment usually... Either life is sacred or it's not.

It's more double standards.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 06:43:44 PM »
Yeah, but those people who believe that are also the same people who are ok with capital punishment usually... Either life is sacred or it's not.

Look I think abortion is an horrible practice, I think it is taking a life, but that is my opinion. Every body has to make their own decisions and deal with the consequences. I also believe in capital punishment, well because some people are simply defective. Those that are execute had their chance and choose to commit heinous crimes. They made their choice, an aborted child never gets that opportunity.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 06:45:22 PM »
Look I think abortion is an horrible practice, I think it is taking a life, but that is my opinion. Every body has to make their own decisions and deal with the consequences. I also believe in capital punishment, well because some people are simply defective. Those that are execute had their chance and choose to commit heinous crimes. They made their choice, an aborted child never gets that opportunity.

I look at the sanctity of life in general... Of which I don't see.

If I could go back and kill Hitler in the womb, I'd fucking knife his mom in the guts.

I also am perfectly ok with violent offenders getting fried.

That's just me though.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 07:04:43 PM »

if you dont see the difference between an innocent child and a convicted murderer then youre defective...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 07:06:28 PM »

keep interviewing candidates - you can do better
youre an idiot

anti abortion = hate women
anti gay marriage = hate gays
anti illegal immigrants = hates immigrants
anti welfare = hate poor ppl

only in the mind of a liberal does this shit make sense ::)