Author Topic: Exercises that should be banned!  (Read 14428 times)

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
Re: Exercises that should be banned!
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2005, 11:09:21 AM »
Thanks Robbie, and Flex. I think I will try it again this week, and I won't go as heavy as last time, with a tweak in form as you've suggested. I think it's impossible to tuck my elbows in toward my body while doing this exercise. I have to keep them tucked out. Is it still worth doing? Maybe I'm not made for this exercise.  :(
CEA999

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2005, 02:55:50 PM »
Thanks Robbie, and Flex. I think I will try it again this week, and I won't go as heavy as last time, with a tweak in form as you've suggested. I think it's impossible to tuck my elbows in toward my body while doing this exercise. I have to keep them tucked out. Is it still worth doing? Maybe I'm not made for this exercise.  :(

They don't have to be tucked completely in, just not out like a regular bench, which would help emphasixe the chest, and minmize the triceps. the fact that you bring the bar down to below your chest should make it natural to not flair them out.

Carmello

• Getbig III
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2005, 04:26:04 PM »
        They don't have to be tucked completely in, just not out like a regular bench, which would help emphasixe the chest, and minmize the triceps. the fact that you bring the bar down to below your chest should make it natural to not flair them out.
Cool! Got it. I'll do 'em this week.
CEA999

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2005, 04:41:40 PM »
Any exercise that hurts your joints is something that you shouldn't do.  I have always heard horror stories of press behind the necks on rotator cuff injuries.  I have been using them for 30 years without an injury.  Are they bad for some guys.  Hell yes.  I don't have a problem with them.  I take them all the way down to where I rest the bar for squats and I press from there.

Any athletic training has the potential for injuries.  Machine fanatics will counter that if you use machines using a 4 seconds up and down you won't get injured.  I say you won't get muscles either. 

Bent over rows will throw my back out in a heart beat.  My soulution?  I don't do them.  Are they good for someone else?  Of course they are.  Bending over in a isometric position rocking up and down pulling a barbell makes my back hurt thinking about it.  I can squat, deadlift, power clean, but I won't do bent over barbell rows. 

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2005, 08:38:19 PM »
1.  any behind-the-neck pulldowns/presses
2.  leg extensions (f*** your knees in the long run)

ask any physician/massage therapist/chiropractor...

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2005, 10:08:41 PM »
Upright rows kick ass. >:(
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2005, 08:58:40 AM »
Getting back to the original Carmello post of exercises that should be banned: That list would include three of my favorite and most result producing movement and minus any injury throughtout the training years. Bent arm Pullovers (DB's) a upper body mass builder which affects the lat's, triceps, pec's and ab's mainly. DB's tend to give a more natural hand position . Adding a bench press off the chest  to the movement after each rep of pullovers gives evey more influence on the pec's, delts & triceps. By all means use heavy weights. Even a improvement in the muscle attachments of the chest and the rib box it's self, in younger trainee's, can improve and give a fuller feeling to the chest. Using 160-185 DB's is not out of the question for higher rep pullovers (12-18).

PBN's which get blamed for a lot of shoulder injuries, weither true or not. Problem being that most guy's do not warm up enough and/or have not much flexability in the shoulder girdle area to begin with. Lowering the bar too far down the back (just touch the middle trap 's) and having too wide a hand grip (have just about a 90 degree angle to the elbows/arms when pressing)  can give problems. Start the PBN from the bottom(slight pause) rather than the top and not bouncing the bar off the shoulder area on the way down. PBN's are a great delt width  builder when done right and can even help with your BP'ing.  (260-280lbs 6-9 reps, so far)

UP-right rows are a prime muscle builder for the laterial (and lesser degree, the posterior delts) & traps. Also affect the biceps/forearms. I favor a Olympic E-Z bar for less stress on the wrist. For some, the problem may be holding the grip too wide and raising the bar too far away from the body during the lift.Can affects the shoulder in a negative manner for some. Pull to a little above the upper chest. Either way the up-right row and the PBN can give extra thick delts and broad shoulder improvement. When you have to buy larger shirts at the fat man's shop (even though your not fat) and a normal doorway makes you turn a little sideways to get through than you know that these exercises work well for you.  (220-245 for 6-9 rep still go well for me)

I'm 33 and have been training with serious intent for 17 years now with out any major problems with the above favorite lift's. Being 6'2 at 235 with a large, wide frame, the joint's are still holding up well. Good Luck.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2005, 12:52:24 PM »
i read somewhere in this thread .. someone said gunter has better tris than ronnie!???
... uh...
huh bro
not even close
choice is an illusion

Carmello

• Getbig III
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2005, 10:23:22 PM »
I was talking about this year. Did u see Ronnies' triceps this year? Cause I didn't. That shit looked like it dissapeared, or faded out alot. Just a mass blob, where as Gunters' actually had definition, and not to mention big.
CEA999

Carmello

• Getbig III
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2005, 08:20:37 PM »
THAT'S IT!!!! Never again will I ever do close grip bench presses!!!! NEVER!!!! I took your guys advice, and almost fucked my shoulder again for all time! NO MORE! SORRY! I'm versatile enough to get them to grow many other ways. Just an update!
CEA999

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2005, 08:39:08 PM »
Ok kids. I'm going to list the exercises that do nothing for me, or are dangerous. Also what i feel when i do them. I'm a big critic on form, so i know I'm doing everything correctly. Also keep in mind I'm 6'2'' so maybe some exercises just aren't made for taller structures. Add to the list, or articulate on it.

1. DB pullovers: No effect whatsoever! Sometimes my tri's actually get sore as all hell!
2. Close grip bench presses: Excellent way to f**k up your shoulder joints, and wrists.
3. Behind the neck military presses: If I had 10 dollars for everyone i know who blew out a disk, or injured their spinal column...
4. Behind the neck pulldowns: The body is just not meant for certain angles. This B disk blower #2 matey.
5. Upright rows: No matter the grip, I feel this is the single most overrated for nothing exercise ever!
6. sternum pulldowns: Hurts my shoulder joints everytime!

I think that's pretty much it. I'll post whatever else comes to mind, but these make the top list! I'll never do them again. NEVER!!!

ROOOAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!!

I agree with #4 but other than that you sound like a little pussy......

you basicaly sound like a newby who has'nt figure things out yet and is just plain frustrated

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2005, 09:14:29 PM »
No way anyone does 405 good mornings haha!

Retard.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2005, 09:37:53 PM »
Retard.

whoa, dude.  it looks like he's about to slip 5 or 6 discs there.
:-)

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2005, 10:38:32 PM »
>:(

Carmello

• Getbig III
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2005, 04:24:46 PM »
I agree with #4 but other than that you sound like a little pussy......

you basicaly sound like a newby who has'nt figure things out yet and is just plain frustrated
Listen here, my ancestors weren't slaves, so my genetics don't entail me with abilities to abuse my body in unnatural exercise settings. It's easier for certain people to grow no matter what they do weight training wise because of their genetics. Alot of people agree with the exercises I have posted to say they should be banned. I'm looking out for my mobility in the future. From the exercises I listed, not one is mandatory in order to grow a certain muscle to it's greatest capacity. U don't care bout your future? Good! Fuk your future then! Btw, I've been training for 4 years, and these exercises have done nothing but waste my time, when I could've adhered to my current training protocol with greater than now results dipship.
CEA999

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2005, 08:20:35 AM »
Listen here, my ancestors weren't slaves, so my genetics don't entail me with abilities to abuse my body in unnatural exercise settings. It's easier for certain people to grow no matter what they do weight training wise because of their genetics. Alot of people agree with the exercises I have posted to say they should be banned. I'm looking out for my mobility in the future. From the exercises I listed, not one is mandatory in order to grow a certain muscle to it's greatest capacity. U don't care bout your future? Good! f**k your future then! Btw, I've been training for 4 years, and these exercises have done nothing but waste my time, when I could've adhered to my current training protocol with greater than now results dipship.

um.....he SAID you sound like a pussy who's frustrated.  That's exactly what you affirmed in that post.
:-)

Carmello

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2005, 10:42:55 AM »
um.....he SAID you sound like a pussy who's frustrated.  That's exactly what you affirmed in that post.
What the HELL!? Why r u complying with him? I never did nothin to u. This is what isn't good for me. It's not good for anyone, and u know it. That's why I started this thread! ROAR!!!!!
CEA999

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2005, 01:11:25 PM »
What the HELL!? Why r u complying with him? I never did nothin to u. This is what isn't good for me. It's not good for anyone, and u know it. That's why I started this thread! ROAR!!!!!

shut up bitcch.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Carmello

• Getbig III
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2005, 06:42:58 PM »
shut up bitcch.
U shut up. U stink. You reek of unmanly odors, u perfume wearing whore!  :-X
CEA999