Author Topic: Avoid Personal Trainers that Lack the CSCS Certification  (Read 9388 times)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
Re: Avoid Personal Trainers that Lack the CSCS Certification
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2012, 06:56:45 PM »
NSCA?

The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research.

It's not "bad" in an absolute sense but most of the research in it is poorly controlled and low-impact.

bike nut

• Getbig V
  • Desperation is a stinky cologne
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2012, 06:56:57 PM »
I hope Ron pulls the plug on this idiot ASAP................yet another terrible gimmick.  :(

Fuckin "A"......hope he gets rid of that Bike Nut prick too. Annoying bastards..... ;D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2012, 07:04:15 PM »
The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research.

It's not "bad" in an absolute sense but most of the research in it is poorly controlled and low-impact.

I'm a member and I agree. I just pick and choose what studies to read. The professors at Cal State Fullerton put some great ones. What you said was one of the biggest beefs that Mike Boyle had with the NSCA so much that the NSCA stopped publishing his works and deemed his past writings will not be used for CEU credits. Quite of few reputable S&C coaches have stopped renewing their CSCS because of this. Most of the ones in private practice don't even bother renewing anyway.

I have the NASM PES (NSCA's CSCS equivelant) and their actually gaining more credibility.

io856

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2012, 07:47:47 PM »
HugeRipped was an awesome gimmick... he actually had some good pointers. Whoever was behind that account actually knew a thing or two. Despite throwing in some trolling in those posts  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2012, 05:54:32 AM »
A personal training certificate is a joke. I'm tired of these kids with one week of computer courses or one week at their community college coming off like they know anything about training. How many articles in magazines have you seen having initials after their name stating their personal training credentials? Is there no shame?

When I took anatomy and physiology in college it was a 8 credit course in two semesters with a lab for each. Now its covered in a 20 minute block during a one week personal trainer certificate? Many of the personal trainer course owners don't have any real credentials.

Gyms today require a personal trainer certificate so if someone sues they can put some of the liability onto the insurance of the personal trainer course their trainer used.

I was reading a personal trainer handbook and it was so convoluted in its approach so it would confound a judge, jury and attorneys in a law suit. They devoted pages to how to calibrate a treadmill. Unless you are designing a treadmill and are a engineer for treadmill company this has no value. If your treadmill is off are you taking apart the treadmill and fixing the on board computer? Another book had pictures of the authors who had degrees in exercise physiology in the back of the book. All were fat and out of shape.

My wife trains a commercial gym that has personal trainers all over it. It seems their job is to drop really impressive scientific buzz words while counting reps and flirting. Most are under thirty. The facts are it's pretty hard to be out of shape under 30 unless you work really hard at it. Let me see how they look in their 50's without the drug assist then I'll listen to what they have to say.  

Having a BS or BA degree in any major then getting a week certificate doesn't impress me.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2012, 07:43:14 AM »
most pt are either immature untrained kids with a useless diploma who didnt know what else to do so ended pt in a gym, or narcisstic steroids users who enjoy being bigger than their naive clients and bullshit them to keep milking them off their money as long as possible.

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2012, 08:04:45 AM »
Bragging about being educated in Exercise Science is so sad.  It's right up there with Sociology, Philosophy, English Lit, & Parks & Rec.  Sure, you may have completed the program, but so could 95% of the population. 

T-rex

• Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2012, 11:28:24 AM »
CSCS certification salesman gimmick of peace ::)

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2012, 05:01:53 PM »
  CSCS is no joke

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2012, 05:19:14 PM »
Personal trainer in a suit and tie   ???

WOW.   ???

Pericles

• Getbig II
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2012, 07:02:21 PM »
I'm a member and I agree. I just pick and choose what studies to read. The professors at Cal State Fullerton put some great ones. What you said was one of the biggest beefs that Mike Boyle had with the NSCA so much that the NSCA stopped publishing his works and deemed his past writings will not be used for CEU credits. Quite of few reputable S&C coaches have stopped renewing their CSCS because of this. Most of the ones in private practice don't even bother renewing anyway.

I have the NASM PES (NSCA's CSCS equivelant) and their actually gaining more credibility.

The PES is open book and not proctored. It was one of the easiest tests in existence. The CSCS difficulty of questions was far more challenging.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2012, 07:06:30 PM »
The PES is open book and not proctored. It was one of the easiest tests in existence. The CSCS difficulty of questions was far more challenging.
Thanks for the clarification "Testicles".  ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2012, 08:02:38 PM »

Thanks, I passed the cscs as well. But like I said. The pes is starting to become more credible than the cscs

Your Average GymRat

Open letter to "Peak Contraction"
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2012, 08:51:44 PM »
Hey man, just want to let you know we're behind you all the way. You're telling it like it is, whether it's pec workouts or so-called "personal trainers". We know there are naysayers who will attack you and try to stop your posts. Fuck 'em. As long as you're out here slinging the truth I'm right there with you man.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: Open letter to "Peak Contraction"
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2012, 09:08:16 PM »
How many FUCKING gimmicks do you have loser?