Author Topic: Shoulder exercises that wont hit frontal delts directly?  (Read 3909 times)

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
Shoulder exercises that wont hit frontal delts directly?
« on: August 23, 2012, 10:42:14 AM »
Im feeling a little pain in that area from the previous workout but today is shoulder day and I wouldnt like to miss the workout. Any tips?

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
Re: Shoulder exercises that wont hit frontal delts diretcly?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 10:43:24 AM »
just skip delt training fruitbag

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 10:46:30 AM »

im too addicted to training and the endorphins afterwards to do this

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 10:47:01 AM »
im addicted to your mom

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:50:44 AM »
im addicted to your mom

im addicted to dutch men with average dutch heigth

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »

Lmao

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 02:00:41 PM »
anyone ?

lol there are maybe 5 dudes here who actually lift weights

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 02:03:58 PM »
Mars' joking aside, if you're in pain, skip the delt workout altogether.  It won't hurt you.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 02:11:09 PM »
anyone ?

You could always do rear delt raises, you know. Or side laterals...but I'm guessing you're asking about replacements for presses, right?

If you were asking about presses, have you tried Larry Scott dumbell presses? He used to swear these hit the medial delts harder than the front delts. I don't know if I agree - I tried them and it kinda worked, but not really. Could be my bodytype. He used to use only the middle 3/4 of the press, used to keep his pinky real high throughout the motion, and the dumbells almost moved in kind of a semi-circle instead of straight up and down. Give it a shot...

The other exercise you might try is Cuban presses. There's still some front delt work, but you get a lot of hits on the side, rear, and rotator cuff muscles.

Barring that, you might try Jack Smith laterals. He was a lightweight NPC champion from about 15 years ago. Never did a pro show, I think. But had a unique way of doing laterals that kind of was a hybrid lateral/press. You start with dumbells in front, like you would for side laterals. Then lateral out to the side, but don't stop at parallel. You start to turn the pinky down to the floor, and continue to lateral all the way over your head til the dumbells touch. It's great for the side delts and traps, and though there's some front delt work, it's not too bad.

I don't think you can press without using the front delts, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear 'em too.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 02:15:07 PM »
Im feeling a little pain in that area from the previous workout but today is shoulder day and I wouldnt like to miss the workout. Any tips?

Take one of your bags of dirty cash, split into two holdalls and then carry both without stopping to the local police station  ;D great burn

Metabolic

• Getbig IV
  • Team I Fucked Her Face
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 02:18:54 PM »
You could always do rear delt raises, you know. Or side laterals...but I'm guessing you're asking about replacements for presses, right?

If you were asking about presses, have you tried Larry Scott dumbell presses? He used to swear these hit the medial delts harder than the front delts. I don't know if I agree - I tried them and it kinda worked, but not really. Could be my bodytype. He used to use only the middle 3/4 of the press, used to keep his pinky real high throughout the motion, and the dumbells almost moved in kind of a semi-circle instead of straight up and down. Give it a shot...

The other exercise you might try is Cuban presses. There's still some front delt work, but you get a lot of hits on the side, rear, and rotator cuff muscles.

Barring that, you might try Jack Smith laterals. He was a lightweight NPC champion from about 15 years ago. Never did a pro show, I think. But had a unique way of doing laterals that kind of was a hybrid lateral/press. You start with dumbells in front, like you would for side laterals. Then lateral out to the side, but don't stop at parallel. You start to turn the pinky down to the floor, and continue to lateral all the way over your head til the dumbells touch. It's great for the side delts and traps, and though there's some front delt work, it's not too bad.

I don't think you can press without using the front delts, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear 'em too.

Anterior deltoid is engaged in shoulder abduction, so yeah, impossible to unengage when pressing

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 02:27:27 PM »
A

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 02:28:07 PM »
im too addicted to training and the endorphins afterwards to do this

work a different body part then ::) ::)
A

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »
Don't ask me. I''m now the puss-puss doing the chins in the corner, with no weight.   :-X

i:

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »

thanks man! will the the larry scott and cuban ones, the jack smith laterals I couldnt find anything on the net though.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 03:49:46 PM »
Dumbell bresses.... feel those more in the side head
choice is an illusion

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
Re: Shoulder exercises that wont hit frontal delts directly?
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 04:08:05 PM »
Front Delt Pain should be remedied with not doing Shoulders or Chest movements for at least two weeks. Go do cardio, not basketball either.
L

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »
anyone ?

Cable up right rows is your best bet, more of a trap movement but will still hit your rear-delts and side delts as well

david94

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »
Do you often do this exercice for biceps?

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 09:42:12 AM »

Good form !    ::)

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 09:58:39 AM »
Trying to exercise around an injured body part is a bad idea. Believe me.