Author Topic: Health Insurance Costs Skyrocket For College Students Due To ObamaCare  (Read 2670 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Health Insurance Costs Skyrocket For College Students Due To ObamaCare
By Ron Meyer

August 27, 2012

Subscribe to Ron Meyer's posts

http://cnsnews.com/blog/ron-meyer/health-insurance-costs-skyrocket-college-students-due-obamacare

Can we stop calling ObamaCare the Affordable Care Act now?

A Young America's Foundation activist forwarded an email from the Vice President for Finance at his school, Guilford College (Greensboro, NC), informing him that, "For the 2012-13 academic year, the annual cost of the student health insurance is increasing from $668 to $1,179. This insurance premium has been charged to your student account."

Why the increase? "Our student health insurance policy premium has been substantially increased due to changes required by federal regulations issued on March 16, 2012 under the Affordable Care Act."

Guilford College has been forced to raise their student premiums 76 percent, yet this administrator still insists on calling it the Affordable Care Act.

Seems a bit ironic, to say the least.

Guilford joins a long list of colleges raising their premiums. Virtually all current student insurance plans do not meet ObamaCare's mandates, and Forbes reports colleges have been forced to drop their plans or raise their premiums rates as much as 1,112% (and no, that's not a typo).

Most students like their current healthcare, but they can't keep it. 

In the email to Guilford students (available in full here), the VP of Finance lays out exactly why they were forced to hike costs:

"As a result, all collegiate student health plans with an effective date of July 1, 2012 or after must provide a minimum benefit of at least $100,000 per policy year, have no limits on benefits deemed essential by the Act, and provide a preventative care benefit with no deductible, co-pays or co-insurance.  In compliance with these mandates, (emphasis added) the following changes have been made to the College's student health insurance policy.

"For the 2012-13 academic year, the annual cost of the student health insurance is increasing from $668 to $1,179."

For those who don't understand insurance mandate regulation jargon, this means catastrophic health insurance plans (primarily covering accidents only) have been banned for students. Students, who often don't need luxury plans, prefer lower cost policies with fewer benefits. This allowed for much more affordable premiums.

Student healthcare choice has been replaced with expensive ObamaCare mandates.

That's why it's not just happening at Guilford (a small liberal arts college with around 2,700 students). Some of the most egregious cost hikes include:
 •The State University of New York in Plattsburgh raised their premium from $440 per student to between $1,300 and $1,600;
•Lenoir-Rhyne University (Hickory, NC) raised theirs from $245 to $2,507; and
 •· The University of Puget Sound (Tacoma, WA) raised theirs from $165 to between $1,500 and $2,000.

Young Americans are already dealing with record-smashing college debt and unemployment, and the Obama administration should answer for these added costs to students.

President Obama will be traveling to campuses across the nation this week trying to sell ObamaCare to young people. Students on campus--or any conservative leaders visiting campus--need to call the Obama administration's bluff.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Health Insurance Costs Skyrocket For College Students Due To ObamaCare
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
  • put more nitrous on that, it still has spark plugs
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 03:10:35 PM »
My brother is a college student and he had to drop his insurance 2 months ago, he told me since jan 2012 that it has went up 3 times
down with hussein

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 03:13:57 PM »
My brother is a college student and he had to drop his insurance 2 months ago, he told me since jan 2012 that it has went up 3 times

Who is he voting for in 2012? 

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 03:19:10 PM »
goes without saying romney and ryan
down with hussein

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 03:20:12 PM »
goes without saying romney and ryan

What about his friends? 

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 03:23:20 PM »
they all will vote romney and ryan, they may be in college but they are smart enough to see through the garbage that spews from obama, and all progressives.
down with hussein

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 03:24:52 PM »
Matter of fact I travel the country on the regular and i never really meet anyone who supports obama, and I run into all ages, genders, and races!
down with hussein

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 03:26:01 PM »
they all will vote romney and ryan, they may be in college but they are smart enough to see through the garbage that spews from obama, and all progressives.

I will say this - I am seeing next to nothing at all for obama 2012 around here and this is a mostly black area.  I personally live in a Irish neighborhood, but the areas 2 seconds away from me that are overwhelmingly black like Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle, Yonkers, Parkchester, Baychester, etc there is almost nothing at all for Obama.  

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 07:41:57 PM »
Health Insurance Costs Skyrocket For College Students Due To ObamaCare
By Ron Meyer

August 27, 2012

Subscribe to Ron Meyer's posts

http://cnsnews.com/blog/ron-meyer/health-insurance-costs-skyrocket-college-students-due-obamacare

Can we stop calling ObamaCare the Affordable Care Act now?

A Young America's Foundation activist forwarded an email from the Vice President for Finance at his school, Guilford College (Greensboro, NC), informing him that, "For the 2012-13 academic year, the annual cost of the student health insurance is increasing from $668 to $1,179. This insurance premium has been charged to your student account."

Why the increase? "Our student health insurance policy premium has been substantially increased due to changes required by federal regulations issued on March 16, 2012 under the Affordable Care Act."

Guilford College has been forced to raise their student premiums 76 percent, yet this administrator still insists on calling it the Affordable Care Act.

Seems a bit ironic, to say the least.

Guilford joins a long list of colleges raising their premiums. Virtually all current student insurance plans do not meet ObamaCare's mandates, and Forbes reports colleges have been forced to drop their plans or raise their premiums rates as much as 1,112% (and no, that's not a typo).

Most students like their current healthcare, but they can't keep it. 

In the email to Guilford students (available in full here), the VP of Finance lays out exactly why they were forced to hike costs:

"As a result, all collegiate student health plans with an effective date of July 1, 2012 or after must provide a minimum benefit of at least $100,000 per policy year, have no limits on benefits deemed essential by the Act, and provide a preventative care benefit with no deductible, co-pays or co-insurance.  In compliance with these mandates, (emphasis added) the following changes have been made to the College's student health insurance policy.

"For the 2012-13 academic year, the annual cost of the student health insurance is increasing from $668 to $1,179."

For those who don't understand insurance mandate regulation jargon, this means catastrophic health insurance plans (primarily covering accidents only) have been banned for students. Students, who often don't need luxury plans, prefer lower cost policies with fewer benefits. This allowed for much more affordable premiums.

Student healthcare choice has been replaced with expensive ObamaCare mandates.

That's why it's not just happening at Guilford (a small liberal arts college with around 2,700 students). Some of the most egregious cost hikes include:
 •The State University of New York in Plattsburgh raised their premium from $440 per student to between $1,300 and $1,600;
•Lenoir-Rhyne University (Hickory, NC) raised theirs from $245 to $2,507; and
 •· The University of Puget Sound (Tacoma, WA) raised theirs from $165 to between $1,500 and $2,000.

Young Americans are already dealing with record-smashing college debt and unemployment, and the Obama administration should answer for these added costs to students.

President Obama will be traveling to campuses across the nation this week trying to sell ObamaCare to young people. Students on campus--or any conservative leaders visiting campus--need to call the Obama administration's bluff.

The affordable health care act allows a student to stay on their parents health plan..... ::)
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 07:43:11 PM »
Skip to comments.

Rising insurance costs crimping companies' plans
The Buffalo News ^ | August 26, 2012, | By Jonathan D. Epstein
Posted on August 27, 2012 9:39:52 PM EDT by 11th_VA

Western New York's three big health insurers are again seeking to jack up rates by significant amounts in some cases - and some employers are taking desperate measures as a result.

BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York is asking for double-digit hikes for most plans, while Independent Health Association and Univera Healthcare are seeking increases of mostly less than 10 percent.

The price hikes, detailed in the carriers' filings with the state Department of Financial Services, mark another year in which premiums are rising much faster than the rate of inflation or household income.

Already, that's crimped any plans for growing his company, Buffalo-based commercial real estate developer Plaza Group, which has 11 employees. Between health and workers compensation insurance, the costs of adding staff are prohibitive. "I wouldn't consider hiring anybody else now, anybody who would need health insurance. It just isn't worth it," he said.

He turned to Buffalo-based HR Benefit Advisors to find a less expensive provider for the half-dozen employees that get coverage. "I've had enough. It's just lunacy," he said. "I want him to look into something that's going to put a cap on this nonsense."

(Excerpt) Read more at buffalonews.com ...

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 08:14:15 PM »
Vince, not everyone has parents! not everyone has parents who have insurance, not everyone has parents who wants take care of their 26 year old children.
 Also how does the insurance work if  a student is living in a seperate state that the parent? for example a parent living in n dakota who has a kid going to school in cali or new york
down with hussein

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 08:16:51 PM »
Vince, not everyone has parents! not everyone has parents who have insurance, not everyone has parents who take care of their 26 year old children.
 Also how does the insurance work if  a student is living in a seperate state that the parent?

Vince is a typical stupid slave and 94er cult member to whatever the cult leader Obama tells him to believe. 

It's a real sad state of affairs to see blacks make such fools of themselves defending a person who does not give a flying shit about them. 

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 08:19:26 PM »
all the black dudes i know hate obama!
down with hussein

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 08:20:43 PM »
but the black dudes i know want to work and want to own their own businesses.
down with hussein

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 08:21:34 PM »
but the black dudes i know want to work and want to own their own businesses.

94 to 0.

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 08:26:36 PM »
And who ever says that romney has 0 % of black votes, you need to get out of the house for a while and get off media metters and your facebook. As I have said before I travel the country often for work and I rarely ever run into anyone who supports obama, and this includes tons of black people.
down with hussein

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 08:29:27 PM »
And who ever says that romney has 0 % of black votes, you need to get out of the house for a while and get off media metters and your facebook. As I have said before I travel the country often for work and I rarely ever run into anyone who supports obama, and this includes tons of black people.

I am around black people most of the time and I feel terrible for them.  They were lied to and conned w Obama.   they were sold a lie based on propagamda w Obama and are forced into a tough spot. 

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 09:59:49 PM »
Vince, not everyone has parents! not everyone has parents who have insurance, not everyone has parents who wants take care of their 26 year old children.
 Also how does the insurance work if  a student is living in a seperate state that the parent? for example a parent living in n dakota who has a kid going to school in cali or new york

Then they can chose the government health care plan, dipshit
A

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 10:05:11 PM »
Oh thats nice so obamas goons can tell you what you need rather than your doctor, or if you even get treatment, if you can get through the dmv style lines that will be at these places. I have been to europe before and the insurance that the government provided sent people to shit holes, and the people that had private insurance got to go to the nice hospitals and doctors offices.

So you can have you government provided healthcare   DIPSHIT
down with hussein

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 01:10:08 AM »

Then they can chose the government health care plan, dipshit

You are a Disgrace.