Author Topic: Doctor refused to treat 200lb woman  (Read 3937 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Doctor refused to treat 200lb woman
« on: August 28, 2012, 02:45:02 PM »
She is definitely a Getbigger!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2194804/Doctor-refusing-treat-200lb-woman-grounds-staff-injured-obese-patients.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

A doctor in Worcester, Massachusetts has been branded 'uncaring' after turning away an obese woman who came to her for treatment.

Dr Helen Carter, an award-winning primary care physician and internist, has been refusing to treat overweight patients since the spring in efforts to protect staff that she says have too often been injured by them.

But while admitting that her weight does fluctuate over 200lbs, rejected patient Ida Davidson has hit back at the doctor saying her attitude is disappointing.

Speaking to Boston's WCVB, the middle-aged woman recalled her visit to Dr Carter's practice: 'She's like, "You gained weight, are your feet swollen, are your feet swollen?" I said "No."

'She was really obsessed about the whole thing and me being in her office and she didn't want to care for me.'

Defending her refusal of treatment, Dr Carter explained calmly: 'After three consecutive injuries [with other patients] trying to care for people over 250 pounds, my office is unable to accommodate a certain weight and we put a limit on it.'

And according to the American Medical Association's Council on Ethics and Judicial Affairs, she is well within her legal and ethical rights to do just that.

Both patients and physicians should be able to exercise freedom in whom to enter into a patient-physician relationship,' policy documents read. 'Physicians do not give up their freedom of association by merely becoming professionals.'

The rules, she explained, do not just protect her employees, but with a third of Americans classified as obese, also hope to motivate people to examine their own health and weight goals.

Average: A third of Americans are obese like Ms Davidson

'For people who are established patients I've told them that they're grandfathered in so it doesn't apply to them but I've have at least two people be very motivated,' she revealed.

But for Ms Davidson, Dr Carter's harsh rejection showed a startling lack of interest expected from a woman in her profession.

'She didn't care about my health that day,' she lamented. 'She just cared that I was a liability to her and too much work.'

Jezebel noted the danger of such an attitude and how it might indeed affect the relationship between doctor and patient.

'Isn't there psychological and emotional harm done when a doctor - someone you're attempting to have an intimate, deeply personal relationship with - refuses to examine you because your body isn't thin enough?' Asked Dodai Stewart. 'What if a patient is turned away and is so humiliated embarrassed she avoids seeking medical attention?'

But Dr Albert Tiana, an OB-GYN in Florida who made headlines last year for the same reason as Dr Carter, offered a counter argument.

'People don't realize the risk we're taking by taking care of these patients, he told the Sun Sentinel at the time. 'There's more risk of something going wrong and more risk of getting sued.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2194804/Doctor-refusing-treat-200lb-woman-grounds-staff-injured-obese-patients.html#ixzz24sbQjmLU
X

snx

• Getbig IV
Re: Doctor refused to treat 200lb woman
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »
She is definitely a Getbigger!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2194804/Doctor-refusing-treat-200lb-woman-grounds-staff-injured-obese-patients.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

A doctor in Worcester, Massachusetts has been branded 'uncaring' after turning away an obese woman who came to her for treatment.

Dr Helen Carter, an award-winning primary care physician and internist, has been refusing to treat overweight patients since the spring in efforts to protect staff that she says have too often been injured by them.

But while admitting that her weight does fluctuate over 200lbs, rejected patient Ida Davidson has hit back at the doctor saying her attitude is disappointing.

Speaking to Boston's WCVB, the middle-aged woman recalled her visit to Dr Carter's practice: 'She's like, "You gained weight, are your feet swollen, are your feet swollen?" I said "No."

'She was really obsessed about the whole thing and me being in her office and she didn't want to care for me.'

Defending her refusal of treatment, Dr Carter explained calmly: 'After three consecutive injuries [with other patients] trying to care for people over 250 pounds, my office is unable to accommodate a certain weight and we put a limit on it.'

And according to the American Medical Association's Council on Ethics and Judicial Affairs, she is well within her legal and ethical rights to do just that.

Both patients and physicians should be able to exercise freedom in whom to enter into a patient-physician relationship,' policy documents read. 'Physicians do not give up their freedom of association by merely becoming professionals.'

The rules, she explained, do not just protect her employees, but with a third of Americans classified as obese, also hope to motivate people to examine their own health and weight goals.

Average: A third of Americans are obese like Ms Davidson

'For people who are established patients I've told them that they're grandfathered in so it doesn't apply to them but I've have at least two people be very motivated,' she revealed.

But for Ms Davidson, Dr Carter's harsh rejection showed a startling lack of interest expected from a woman in her profession.

'She didn't care about my health that day,' she lamented. 'She just cared that I was a liability to her and too much work.'

Jezebel noted the danger of such an attitude and how it might indeed affect the relationship between doctor and patient.

'Isn't there psychological and emotional harm done when a doctor - someone you're attempting to have an intimate, deeply personal relationship with - refuses to examine you because your body isn't thin enough?' Asked Dodai Stewart. 'What if a patient is turned away and is so humiliated embarrassed she avoids seeking medical attention?'

But Dr Albert Tiana, an OB-GYN in Florida who made headlines last year for the same reason as Dr Carter, offered a counter argument.

'People don't realize the risk we're taking by taking care of these patients, he told the Sun Sentinel at the time. 'There's more risk of something going wrong and more risk of getting sued.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2194804/Doctor-refusing-treat-200lb-woman-grounds-staff-injured-obese-patients.html#ixzz24sbQjmLU

Al Bundy would be proud.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 02:56:36 PM »
I can see both sides to this. 

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 02:57:12 PM »
I can see both sides to this. 

Great. Your opinion means so much.
X

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »
Great. Your opinion means so much.
It doesn't really mean anything in the scheme of things.  If a doctor refuses to treat an obese patient then my or your opinion don't mean shit.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 02:59:57 PM »
It doesn't really mean anything in the scheme of things.  If a doctor refuses to treat an obese patient then my or your opinion don't mean shit.

Yes. I know. Please vacate this thread.
X

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 03:01:54 PM »
Fat people's lack of willpower. . .
a

lvtolft

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 03:02:34 PM »
Honestly, to say something like "She didn't care about my health that day.". WTF?  You weigh over 200 pounds and you want someone else to care about your health when you don't.
Man, our society has gone down the shitter.

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 03:28:01 PM »
I say two fiddy
all drugs - TPPIIP

MikMaq

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »
I don't get it is she refusing based on fat, or on weight, at 200 pounds most getbiggers wouldn't be serviced either.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
Her NOGGIN was probably just too damn big, and the doctor wasn`t on the team.............fuck that big headed fat twat!  ;D

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 03:54:55 PM »
 Not that fat for an American

O

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »
With obesity on the increase, the doctors won't be able to get too picky with whom they treat.

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 04:40:54 PM »
BMC will treat her :D

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »
BMC will treat her :D
Oh come on now, BigMikeCox doesn't go that far. 

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 04:47:25 PM »
Not that fat for an American

Well, she refused to treat her because her staff have by injured by overweight people. In what way? I dont think it said.
X

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 04:51:16 PM »
Well, she refused to treat her because her staff have by injured by overweight people. In what way? I dont think it said.
Possibly pulled muscles and strained their back lifting or rolling her over while she is being examined?

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »
Racist
Y

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 04:19:36 AM »
Tase 'm all...

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 04:31:38 AM »
Yes. I know. Please vacate this thread.
QFT

Fat people's lack of willpower. . .

SICKENING
 ;D

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 04:40:29 AM »

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 04:41:07 AM »
If the doctor who refused care was male the womens groups would be all over this shit.
A

johnny_english

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 04:47:58 AM »
The question here is what can fat people actually do apart from eat

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 05:13:33 AM »
The question here is what can fat people actually do apart from eat
Rancid farts - maybe they could be burnt down and used as fuel

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 05:13:51 AM »
If the doctor who refused care was female the womens groups would be all over this shit.

You mean male.  I wish I could have the balls to do this.  I injured my shoulder with a patient who was obese.  They come in complaining about "I just dont understand what I could have done to cause this low back pain".  Here, let me explain to you how you being 200lbs+ and only 5'5" is not the best thing