Author Topic: goji-berries  (Read 9479 times)

Armani

• Getbig II
  • 161 confirmed kills and counting
goji-berries
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:23:39 AM »
Superfood: Goji Berries
by Lisa LaValle Overmyer

"We’ve all heard of raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, and even snozzberries, but get ready for the new berry star — goji berries. Also known as wolfberries or Lycium, goji berries are most commonly seen in their dried form, resembling reddish raisins. For thousands of years, goji berries have been used in China and other parts of Asia as a way of promoting longevity — but let’s see how much of that is really true[1].

Go, Go, Goji — Why They’re Super

Photo by Mykalee McGowan

Perhaps the most super thing about goji berries is that eating them covered in chocolate is encouraged. Besides that, they have a high concentration of protein (about one gram of protein per tablespoon), contain essential amino acids, are crazy-high in vitamin A (36 percent of the daily recommended value per tablespoon), and a tablespoon has only 18 calories, making them a great snack option.

Goji berries could have almost as many superpowers as Superman himself: One study found that after consuming the berries in juice form for 14 days, subjects reported increased energy levels and improved athletic performance, quality of sleep, focus, digestive regularity, and mental sharpness — not to mention reduced stress and fatigue[2]. No studies have been done to show whether goji berries grant the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound… yet.

Goji berries might also be able to protect us from the elements (and we may be able to learn something from their effects on our little furry friends). One study showed that consuming goji berry juice could provide protection from UV rays by reducing the inflammatory reaction of skin when it starts to get sunburned[3]. Which brings us to the berry’s antioxidant properties: A compound in goji berries was shown to activate antioxidant enzymes in older mice, which could point to the berries’ apparent anti-aging properties that the Chinese have sworn by for centuries[4].

Some studies have also pointed to goji berries’ potential for cancer prevention. In two different studies, goji berries’ polysaccharides (a type of carbohydrate) were shown to inhibit the growth of both prostate cancer and colon cancer cells[5][6].

To round out the list of superpowers, gojis also contain melatonin, which has been shown to help control weight gain, reduce triglycerides, increase “good” (HDL) cholesterol and decrease “bad” (LDL) cholesterol[7]. Since melatonin is also the hormone in charge of regulating the body’s time cues, goji berries and other foods rich in melatonin could also help improve sleep[8]. In another study, mice sick with the flu showed improved immune response when given a mixture of milk and goji berry juice[9]. Doesn’t sound too tasty, but if it gets rid of the flu, why not!

Gaga for Goji — Your Action Plan

Sounds like a pretty perfect superfood, right? Not so fast. It’s time for the big, fat “however.” There hasn’t been enough research to scientifically prove that goji berries actually possess the magical properties described above. Most studies were done on mice or with very small samples. While goji berries are a great addition to any diet, they shouldn’t be relied on as a cure-all for every sickness under the sun.

Use caution when trying goji berries for the first time — there have been a few documented instances of allergic reactions, and the berries can cause a harmful interaction with the drug Warfarin, which is used to prevent blood clots[10][11]. Check with a physician to make sure goji berries will play nice with any current prescriptions.

Get started with gojis by snacking on a handful, adding them to trail mix, or trying out the recipes below!"

http://greatist.com/health/superfood-goji-berries/

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: goji-berries
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 11:49:49 AM »
All studies conducted by a Goji reseller

Armani

• Getbig II
  • 161 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 12:21:28 PM »
All studies conducted by a Goji reseller

True, but I thought the article was quite honest: "There hasn’t been enough research to scientifically prove that goji berries actually possess the magical properties described above. Most studies were done on mice or with very small samples. While goji berries are a great addition to any diet, they shouldn’t be relied on as a cure-all for every sickness under the sun."

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 05:06:01 AM »
berries are a mildly weak source of nutrients...

eat beef liver, lard  & fish and you'll get a shitload more...

berries are good on occasion, preferably covered in heavy cream

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 06:14:29 AM »
berries are a mildly weak source of nutrients...

eat beef liver, lard  & fish and you'll get a shitload more...

berries are good on occasion, preferably covered in heavy cream

It's a shame that beef liver is one of the most vile and disgusting-tasting foods, yet is also one of the most nutrient-dense foods at the same time. I still consume desicated liver tablets on occasion. Taken prior to training, I often feel a slight, but noticeable bump in strength.

I've taken as many as 75 of the Universal brand per day. I had blood work done at that time and my iron count was surprisingly fine. I take far fewer when I'm regularly eating more red meat - usually beef or venison - and drinking more protein powders.

NOW makes a liver powder, which is just as disgusting as plain liver. I still have a little in the one container and a new one to open. I won't be ordering it again. :-X

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 06:05:03 PM »
soak the sliced liver in lemon juice overnight or all day or for at least 2 hours prior to searing (should be pink when served) and cover it with bacon and oignons...

surprisingly good after the first 2 times

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 06:18:04 PM »
soak the sliced liver in lemon juice overnight or all day or for at least 2 hours prior to searing (should be pink when served) and cover it with bacon and oignons...

Why is the third time better?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 06:56:47 PM »

Why is the third time better?

like anything else...

3rd time's the charm

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 11:10:57 AM »

eat beef liver,

:-X :-X :-X

I also can't get past what the liver does either  :-X

My grandma used to make a liver pate that was pretty yummy.  I have no desire to try and recreate it though.

I would think after soaking in acid for that long, it would be mush :-X
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »
:-X :-X :-X

I also can't get past what the liver does either  :-X

My grandma used to make a liver pate that was pretty yummy.  I have no desire to try and recreate it though.

I would think after soaking in acid for that long, it would be mush :-X

Sorry, I was the remedial student at the culinary institute. Pâtés use raw meat?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 05:33:53 PM »

Sorry, I was the remedial student at the culinary institute. Pâtés use raw meat?

No, it was cooked.  I seem to remember liver, onions, hard boiled eggs and oil and she'd run it through a meat grinder twice.  Not sure what else ???
:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 07:22:00 AM »
It doesn't get mushy. It's organ meat.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 10:03:34 AM »
It doesn't get mushy. It's organ meat.

Ha-ha...you forgot to say, "no-homo!"

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 10:04:20 AM »
...or, did you?

;D

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 03:57:08 AM »
Didn't want to generalize. Some organ meat is more mushy than others.

No homo

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 10:17:12 AM »
So I bought some goji berries.  Dried stuff.  Tastes okay, lots of little seeds.  The last two days everytime i take a shit it is explosive and then I look in the toilet and there is red blood on my shit.  I wipe my ass and it is bright red.  I've had to shit 4 or 5 times a day and each time the same.  Is it these berries?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »
So I bought some goji berries.  Dried stuff.  Tastes okay, lots of little seeds.  The last two days everytime i take a shit it is explosive and then I look in the toilet and there is red blood on my shit.  I wipe my ass and it is bright red.  I've had to shit 4 or 5 times a day and each time the same.  Is it these berries?

It may be the beginnings of hemorrhoids.
Chronic diarrhea or excessively frequent and/or forceful bowel movements is a common cause. Bright red blood found on stool and paper is also a common indication of hemorrhoids.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 04:59:43 PM »

A lot of dried fruits use sulfites as a preservative (keeps their color), but a lot of people have an intolerance to them.
:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »
i just ate half of a canary melon... it's the most sugar i've had in weeks...

time for a workout!