Author Topic: Best come back to the "When are you going to settle down?" type of questions.?  (Read 6231 times)

Fortress

• Getbig V
A related question is “When are you going to have a baby?” or “Don’t you miss not having kids?”

No.  There was a brief period when I felt like I missed not having kids, but it passed very quickly when I got nieces and nephews.  I think being an uncle is way more fun than being a parent.  I get all the joys having the kids around with none of the headaches.  I can play with them all I want (their parents love having a break) and then give them back.  I can have them for the weekend (or longer) and then give them back.  I can take them shopping and spoil them all I want without having to deal with the consequences of that.  I get all the love from the kids and their parents get to be the bad guys who punish, spank, or put them in timeout.

If I want to give them my time, I can (and they love it) but I don’t have to… and it’s not expected of me.

If I want to spend money on them—a lot or a little—I can (and they love it) but I don’t have to… and no one expects it of me.

If I want to put them in private school or fund their college education, I can, but I don’t have to… and no one expects it of me.

All the fun and none of the headaches of parenting!  Sweet! ;D

Dude, I am with you. I have nephews and nieces and this is enough.

I have never been married, either, and I think my family and friends are now finally aware that "settling down" is not in my life cards.

From what I see from peers, settling down is accepting an ever-decreasing sexual partnership, giving up one's youthful passions and slaving for more and more money so as to satisfy the demands of the crew back home. A place, by the way, that has long since been an oasis from the madness of this world.  

POB

• Getbig IV
^lol

orion

• Getbig IV
Just tell them settling down is catabolic, they'll understand.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
I have been married over twenty years, but if someone asked me this question, I suppose I would have to go all "Squadfather" on them.

"Settle down?" hahahahahahaha, oh brother  ::)  Epic skinnyfat twink bottom bitch trying to give advice.  You won't recover.
~

cephissus

• Getbig V

haha

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.

then i relplied" ok, which one of you ladies has a daughter thats hot looking, able and willing to cook, ill take her straight away"

lol

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
I get that annoying answer as well "When are you going to settle down." The trick here is give a short answer but enough to shut them up without being rude. Because you'll never know if they're being naive or nosey. Either way just simply reply with "I'll settle down when you find me a good woman."
#

MikMaq

I get that annoying answer as well "When are you going to settle down." The trick here is give a short answer but enough to shut them up without being rude. Because you'll never know if they're being naive or nosey. Either way just simply reply with "I'll settle down when you find me a good woman."
Good job mr passive.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
I dont like when as soon as you mention you have dated a girl people assume that your wish is to commit and/or get married ???

"When are you going to tie the knot" = instant nasuea for me

Any good comebacks on that one?

You could say, i'm waiting for our society to take marriage seriously. With the divorce rate somewhere around 50%, I really don't like them odds at this point in time.  If the odds drop to around 10%, that's when I'll throw myself into the ring.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
I'm still married to Slayer - always have been always will be  :P

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I'm really annoyed by questions like these and people who are asking 'em, and usualy answer in a very subtle/intellectual/reasoned manner, but it seems that it baffles them even more and makes uncomfortable somewhy, so they persist with some other nonsense.. it's really a futile "discussion", I don't believe in "settling down" would be my honest answer, but it would bring a whole lotta other "directions" of possible "discussion" I'm not even remotely interesting participating in.

What would be the best, witty, maybe harsh (shutting up) answer to that one, in your opinion?

Getting married or living with a woman as your partner is great and doesn't require you to setlle down.
It can be a cold , lonely world and having your lover as your best friend can be awesome.
Yes, you should be monogomous but the real key is never having kids.
I have seen too many couples that have kids and it just sucks the life out of 'em.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
look them straight in the eye and ask them "are you truly happy?"

Then you'll get this answer:

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Getting married or living with a woman as your partner is great and doesn't require you to setlle down.
It can be a cold , lonely world and having your lover as your best friend can be awesome.
Yes, you should be monogomous but the real key is never having kids.
I have seen too many couples that have kids and it just sucks the life out of 'em.
Why can't you stay married to one person? Why all these marriages? Were your parents married long?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
I say "You and mom didn't get married til your mid 30's" and just leave it at that.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
25.Well here he makes about 11.75, and it costs about 20k to do the program including tools etc. So nuts to debt, this aint austrailia mate.

So what was your chosen field of study, young man?

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Why can't you stay married to one person? Why all these marriages? Were your parents married long?
People change over the years is the short answer. Here is a couple examples.
One former wife "discovered" she really wanted children ( 4 yrs after we got married ) and that was a non starter for me.
I didn't want to deprive her of her dream of being a mom, but I didn't want to change and become a dad, se we divorced.
The last one graudyally decided she wanted to live a separate , independent life which worked for awhile.
We spent most weekends and vacations together and lived separate during the week.
It was ok but we eventually drifted apart.
Any more questions?

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
People change over the years is the short answer. Here is a couple examples.
One former wife "discovered" she really wanted children ( 4 yrs after we got married ) and that was a non starter for me.
I didn't want to deprive her of her dream of being a mom, but I didn't want to change and become a dad, se we divorced.
The last one graudyally decided she wanted to live a separate , independent life which worked for awhile.
We spent most weekends and vacations together and lived separate during the week.
It was ok but we eventually drifted apart.
Any more questions?

If you'd performed your due diligence before hand you could have avoided all that.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
I say "You and mom didn't get married til your mid 30's" and just leave it at that.

Reminds me of the time my dad busted on me...he made the comment at one Thanksgiving gathering, "You know, son, when I was your age I was already married and had a kid."  I laughed and said, "Yeah, me."  He paused for a moment and said, "That's a good argument, son, but I still think you should get married."  >:(
~

Yev33

• Getbig III
Re: Best come back to the "When are you going to settle down?" type of questions
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2012, 06:18:28 PM »
25.Well here he makes about 11.75, and it costs about 20k to do the program including tools etc. So nuts to debt, this aint austrailia mate.

Starting out it sucks, you got tools and other expenses to pay off. But in the US you can make over 100k fixing cars, once you have enough skill and experience working in the right shop.  And you can do it by working no more than 40-50hrs a week, and thats working for someone I am not even talking about owning a business.

Not everyone is cut out for it though, so you have a pay range of 25k to 100k+ across the industry.

cephissus

• Getbig V
Reminds me of the time my dad busted on me...he made the comment at one Thanksgiving gathering, "You know, son, when I was your age I was already married and had a kid."  I laughed and said, "Yeah, me."  He paused for a moment and said, "That's a good argument, son, but I still think you should get married."  >:(

LOL how old were you when this happened?

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
If you'd performed your due diligence before hand you could have avoided all that.

Spot on.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Best come back to the "When are you going to settle down?" type of questions
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2012, 06:46:29 PM »
Starting out it sucks, you got tools and other expenses to pay off. But in the US you can make over 100k fixing cars, once you have enough skill and experience working in the right shop.  And you can do it by working no more than 40-50hrs a week, and thats working for someone I am not even talking about owning a business.

Not everyone is cut out for it though, so you have a pay range of 25k to 100k+ across the industry.

True. Just because someone likes cars doesn't mean that it's a Job for them.
Mechanical aptitude & problem solving are very important to have.

My buddy has arkund $250k worth of tools he's accumulated over 15 years & he still bitches about not having certain ones. He makes just under $100,000 a year working for a chain mechanic shop...plus atleast half that amount doing cash side jobs.

You have to build a great reputation in this field & work for a shop that's honest & fair otherwise people will think they're getting fuxked.

MikMaq

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2012, 06:50:21 PM »
Starting out it sucks, you got tools and other expenses to pay off. But in the US you can make over 100k fixing cars, once you have enough skill and experience working in the right shop.  And you can do it by working no more than 40-50hrs a week, and thats working for someone I am not even talking about owning a business.

Thats great advice maybe you should and realize this person I'm talking is set on fucking themselves over living in the middle of nowhere.
Are you even listening this kind of mindset ain't gonna work in a marriage people change as they grow older, what he mentioned is typical, the only way to really avoid it is to knock her up quick so it's a nonissue.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
I'm a godless, blasphemious, cynical and nihilistic atheist, doomed to be extincted by god loving christians and muslims, etc.. so I couldn't care less.. Unfortunately I'm still not a homo.. Oh well..
you ll get extinct and so will be your lineage cause you re an immature egotistical individual who s too busy focusing on his little addictions and image to have a woman and a family, not because of christians or muslims... You probably werent loved much by parents who didnt care about you, and as a result you re not able to care about others either, as we subconsciously and automatically reproduce what we ve been exposed to during our childhood and adolescence blindly for most of our adult life. Taking care of you might have been a pain in the ass for them, and as a result taking care of others now you re suposed to be an adult is a pain in the ass for you. Considering we re just a bunch of preprogrammations, the sum of what generated us and that all these conditionnings predetermines our so called "freedom"/ "free will" and deepest thought patterns , let's just say you ve been programmed to disapear or to convert to any kind of religion, philosophy, system of belief that would give a new meaning to your existence.

It might sound fun to be lonely and do whatever you want in your 20s, it s a lot less funny when you hit the 40, let s not even talk about the 50s and later... Now you know why some old lonely people randomly talk to strangers in the street; cause they have no family, nobody else to talk to and to continue life with.