Author Topic: George Jefferson's been living in a refrigerator for over a month!!!  (Read 2720 times)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/30/showbiz/sherman-hemsley-dispute/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Sherman Hemsley's body lies in an El Paso, Texas, funeral home refrigerator more than a month after his death while a court decides who gets the actor's remains.

A Philadelphia man claiming to be the "Jeffersons" actor's brother is challenging a will Hemsley signed a month before his death, according to the funeral home handling his arrangements.

"It is disgraceful," Hemsley's longtime partner Flora Enchinton told CNN affiliate KVIA-TV. "It is sad. This was a man with dignity."

The will signed by Hemsley on June 13, 2012, a month after he was diagnosed with cancer, named Enchinton as executor and left his entire estate to her, according to court papers.
'Jeffersons' star Sherman Hemsley dies

Hemsley's embalmed remains are kept in a refrigerator at San Jose Funeral Home in El Paso awaiting a court order allowing burial or with instructions on who should be given the body, funeral home employee Renny Dosier said Thursday.

A spokeswoman for the El Paso County Probate Judge Eduardo Gamboa declined to comment about the case.

Enchinton, who said she lived with Hemsley at his El Paso home for the past decade, told KVIA-TV that the dispute gives her a "very ugly feeling, very desperate feeling that I feel inside."

Sherman Hemsley: A tribute to the great George Jefferson and more

"The emotional thing is you wake up thinking he's still frozen out there," she said.

Contrary to what Enchinton said, Hemsley's body is "embalmed under refrigeration," not frozen, Dosier said.

The man who claims to be Hemsley brother is asking for custody of his remains and possessions.

"I have never heard of a so-called brother named of Richard Thornton in the 20 years I have known Sherman," Enchinton said. "This is not what Sherman would have wanted."

"Sherman left very worried about me, about me staying alone, what was going to happen to me, being alone if he was gone. That's what worried him the most. I guess maybe he sensed what was going to happen. It just gives me these emotions and feelings (that) all of a sudden there's these people that have never known anything about our life, about who we are, about what we're all about, about what we endured," Enchinton said about the validity of her role in Hemsley's life being questioned.

Hemsley played George Jefferson, a wisecracking owner of a dry cleaning business, on "All in the Family" from 1973 until 1975, when the spinoff "The Jeffersons" began an 11-season run on CBS.

Hemsley also played Deacon Ernest Frye in the sitcom "Amen."

Comments: So long, Sherman; Thanks for the laughs
A

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: George Jefferson's been living in a refrigerator for over a month!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 03:45:39 PM »
Probably resting easier than Ted Williams' head.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 03:50:57 PM »
This is the second big name to have this type of incident this yr. Before it was Carroll Shelby.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 10:22:57 PM »
http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/entertainment/20121110/ENTERTAINMENT-US-HEMSLEY/

"The Jeffersons" star Hemsley's will is ruled valid - lawyer

SAN ANTONIO — The will of the late actor Sherman Hemsley was ruled valid on Friday in Texas, clearing the way for the star of "The Jeffersons" to be buried more than three months after his death, the lawyer who prepared the will said.

Hemsley, 74, died of lung cancer in Texas in July. His body has been held at an El Paso area funeral home while the courts ruled on a dispute between a Philadelphia relative of Hemsley and a friend named in his will.

It was not clear whether the relative, Richard Thornton, would appeal the ruling by a judge in El Paso. Thornton's attorney could not be immediately reached for comment.

"There is no question in my mind that this will clearly represented Mr. Hemsley's intent," attorney Julian Horwitz said on Friday.

Horwitz said he drafted the will at the request of Hemsley's friend, Flora Enchinton-Bernal. The will lists Enchinton-Bernal as the executor and sole beneficiary of Hemsley's estate, he said.

A veteran Broadway and television actor, Hemsley was best-known as the character George Jefferson on the Norman Lear sitcom "The Jeffersons" which ran from 1975 to 1985.

Horwitz said Enchinton-Bernal called him several weeks before Hemsley's death and asked him to prepare the will, which he said the actor signed while at an El Paso hospital.

"I found him lucid and in full possession of his faculties and desirous of having a will," Horwitz said of Hemsley.

Horwitz said Hemsley lived quietly in El Paso with Enchinton-Bernal and referred to her in the will as "my beloved partner." He never married and had no children.

The Philadelphia-born Hemsley also guest-starred on numerous shows over the years, including "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air."

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 05:36:37 AM »
Movin' on up, to the dirt side.

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 07:38:38 AM »
moving on up - to the next drawer, got a deluxe box on steel glides

moovin on up - to the next shelf, just embalmed image of my self
time under tension

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 08:12:08 AM »
20 years and he never married her? Never understood those situations for either party.

Gosling31977

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 08:14:58 AM »
You know they walk by the freezer saying " Whose the Honky now Bitch " ,,, RIP Sherman,, Anyone catch him on the VH! program, he was real quiet and kept to himself, total opposite of his Jefferson character.  These kind of disputes are ridiculous , let the man RIP , my god people .

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 03:01:35 PM »
  Moving on up

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 03:39:03 PM »
I wouldn't say he's been "living".
: