Author Topic: Blood work, some concerning results.  (Read 6175 times)

Jizzacked

Blood work, some concerning results.
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:25:01 AM »
Alright bros, I went and had a whole bloodwork panel done, with some less than stellar results.  Most things came back fine, but I will list the messed up values.  I am 32yo....

Thyroid levels are all normal range, except for T3 Uptake: 40%

IGF-1: 247 normal range: 71-241
Estradiol: 75 normal range: 3-70

Testosterone total: 411 normal range: 348-1197 - this is "normal" but obviously on the low end which concerns me.  I haven't touched anything gear related in probably like a year, but used on and off over the years.

AST(SGOT) : 55 normal range: 0-40 - I have read this can be due to strenuous excercise, and I am in the gym 5-6 days a week.  specific liver ALT SGPT was normal at 38

Triglicerides: 173 normal range: 0-149
HDL: 46 (normal range, but low)
LDL: 110 normal range 0-99

I have a history in my family of heart disease, and the lipid results concern me, especially since I do regular cardio and take at least 5g of fish oil a day.

Nothing is crazy out of range, but obviously things could be better for me.  I obviously need to make some changes to my diet and lifestyle, since what I am doing at the moment apparently is not quite good enough.  Any suggestions from those of you with experience/expertise in these matters?  I would appreciate some input here.

POB

• Getbig IV
Re: Blood work, some concerning results.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:36:18 AM »
Take the docs advice,that liver test looks like pills or alcohol(sorry if its not), I'd start liv 52 today plus good multi and plenty of water

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:50:20 AM »
eat clean diet.

your test levels gonna stay like that for years.this is simply what happens after extensive or even not so extensive steroid use.

Jizzacked don't believe that guy, in fact disregards anything he says, hasn't a clue and is pretty much a lier and a crook.

Tata

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:54:14 AM »
The last thing you should be doing is asking for medical advice on a bodybuilding message board.  Seriously, you've got some numbers that are out of line.  You need to see a real doctor, possibly a medical nutritionist (not a "dime a dozen" nutritionist), and get some real advice.  Life's too short my man, don't take this shit lightly.  Good luck.   :D

Jizzacked

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:59:30 AM »
The last thing you should be doing is asking for medical advice on a bodybuilding message board.  Seriously, you've got some numbers that are out of line.  You need to see a real doctor, possibly a medical nutritionist (not a "dime a dozen" nutritionist), and get some real advice.  Life's too short my man, don't take this shit lightly.  Good luck.   :D

I purposely had this done through a private lab, so that if anything was off, I would have some time to make some improvements before I get some health coverage, which will happen in a couple of months.   I didn't know what to expect, and didn't want to be branded with something on my medical record that I may have been able to fix or at least improve on my own before seeking coverage.

Admittedly, my diet is high in saturated fats, and I tend to enjoy the booze a bit much on some weekends.  I will be making some changes that is for sure, but there are some knowledgeable people around here, and I would certainly like to hear what they might recommend.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:11:35 AM »
In that case, definitly cut down on the booze.  I need to cut back myself.  :'(  There really are no benefits to booze at all, unless you're having 1 glass of redwine for a bad heart.  As for your cholesterol and tri's, just try cleaning up the diet.  Where I work, they give us a full physical yearly.  Bloodwork, urinalysis, spirometry, xrays, hearing, eyes, flexability, strength, endurance, ekg, etc.  My blood is always in check except for the cholesterol.  Occasionally it is high.  One trick I have for lowering it, is to eat oatmeal, fruits, and walnuts for breakfast every morning.  Substituting eggs with oatmeal has drastically lowered my cholesterol.

Sounds like you've got the right approach.  You've acknowledged that there's a problem, you're trying to fix it, and you're trying to get health coverage.  Cut out the booze, clean up the diet, and do more cardio.  Good luck.

Jizzacked

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 10:14:49 AM »
Thanks bro, I appreciate it.  I was considering bringing oatmeal back into the breakfast routine for a while anyways, so this is as good a reason as any.

I am off to run a few miles on the treadmill  ;D

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 10:18:40 AM »
Alright bros, I went and had a whole bloodwork panel done, with some less than stellar results.  Most things came back fine, but I will list the messed up values.  I am 32yo....

Testosterone total: 411 normal range: 348-1197 - this is "normal" but obviously on the low end which concerns me.  I haven't touched anything gear related in probably like a year, but used on and off over the years.

AST(SGOT) : 55 normal range: 0-40 - I have read this can be due to strenuous excercise, and I am in the gym 5-6 days a week.  specific liver ALT SGPT was normal at 38

I have a history in my family of heart disease, and the lipid results concern me, especially since I do regular cardio and take at least 5g of fish oil a day.

Nothing is crazy out of range, but obviously things could be better for me.  I obviously need to make some changes to my diet and lifestyle, since what I am doing at the moment apparently is not quite good enough.  Any suggestions from those of you with experience/expertise in these matters?  I would appreciate some input here.

Watch your sat fats and start taking a soluble fiber supp twice daily along with regular cardio. Your lipoproteins will improve drastically.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 11:03:15 AM »
More fiber (oatmeal) Liv.52 (or similar), less booze, drop a few lbs. if overweight...

Also for liver values, research "NAC" and "TUDCA" supplements..

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 11:05:28 AM »
Perfectly average WASP male in his 30s...

io856

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 11:07:54 AM »
Bodybuilding is the muscle

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 11:15:57 AM »
Jizzacked,

All of those values are fine.

You might have marginal increases in certain values, but you are still predominantly healthy by those values provided.

The elevated AST can certainly be attributed to the time you spend in the gym (muscle damage/repair).

Only thing I would do is to clean up the diet and maybe do a little more cardio.

Good luck,
"1"

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 11:31:48 AM »

Are you obese?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »
In that case, definitly cut down on the booze.  I need to cut back myself.  :'(  There really are no benefits to booze at all, unless you're having 1 glass of redwine for a bad heart.  As for your cholesterol and tri's, just try cleaning up the diet.  Where I work, they give us a full physical yearly.  Bloodwork, urinalysis, spirometry, xrays, hearing, eyes, flexability, strength, endurance, ekg, etc.  My blood is always in check except for the cholesterol.  Occasionally it is high.  One trick I have for lowering it, is to eat oatmeal, fruits, and walnuts for breakfast every morning.  Substituting eggs with oatmeal has drastically lowered my cholesterol.

Sounds like you've got the right approach.  You've acknowledged that there's a problem, you're trying to fix it, and you're trying to get health coverage.  Cut out the booze, clean up the diet, and do more cardio.  Good luck.
You work at a hospital?

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 11:34:55 AM »

This may be and I have no idea what AST(SGOT) is, but when medical literature says "strenuous exercise" it usually means aerobic exercise (i.e. not weightlifting).

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 11:50:17 AM »

Jizzacked

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 11:58:49 AM »
Thank you for all the suggestions and recommendations.... I do appreciate everyone's input.

As far as my conditioning at this point, I am pretty lean and cardio is on point.  I typically run 1.5-2.5 miles 4-5x a week, as well as lifting 4-5x.  I try to be in the gym 6 days a week, as it makes a huge difference to my general physical and psychological well being.  There was a time when I was only concerned about getting as big as possible in my foolish youth, but these days conditioning and longevity are big concerns for me.

The testosterone being as low as it was is really going to mind fuck me now that I know about it, despite it being in the clinical "normal" range.  It is strange, cause I feel fine, and my libido is extremely strong... typically get off multiple times daily.  I am going to up my game here and get things checked out again maybe in another 2-3 months and see where I am at.

King_Raisin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 12:03:58 PM »
Don't be too concerned with slightly elevated liver enzymes...AST and ALT are really only a concern if they are 3-4 times normal.  Being slightly elevated may represent either a normal variant or being slightly overworked as mentioned in an above post (booze, pills), but it's nothing to be overly worried about

The cholesterol panel looks a bit rough for a 32 year old, especially one who works out 5-6 days per week.  It looks pretty textbook of a nutrient-poor diet likely consisting of foods high in processed foods/saturated fats and low in fiber/vegetables.  Not really rocket science, just clean up the diet/lifestyle and at your age you should be able to recover pretty quickly if you're willing

Jizzacked

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 12:14:31 PM »
I totally agree with you.  I take in way too much processed foods out of convenience, and have a weakness for cheeses, eggs, red meat etc.  I have been wanting to go a bit more "green" in my diet anyways, and am open to food suggestions.  I don't do pills, but the alcohol consumption will be moderated.

Frank Clairmonte

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM KAI GREENE #BELIEVE
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 12:16:54 PM »
up your dosages

you will be fine

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
I feel like dogshit if I go more than a day without eating some sort of vegetable (outed).

I like to buy one pepper of each color (green, red, yellow, orange) when I go shopping and chop them all up then eat a handful or two for dinner every night.  Peppers are very tasty imho even raw, so you can mix in other things with it that are good for you but not so tasty (broccoli, spinach, w/e).

Nothing wrong with cheese/eggs/red meat a few times a week but they shouldn't be the foundation of your diet.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 12:20:11 PM »
Haha gotta agree with Stark.  Galeniko's advice is pure bullshit!  Eating clean has no bearing on cholesterol levels.  In fact eating clean can RAISE your fucking cholesterol levels.  Furthermore if you study the research and actually read the scientific literature you'd quickly realize cholesterol has fuck all to do with heart disease.  In fact iron is much more detrimental for men when it comes to heart disease.  But I'm sure Mr. galeniko knows all that "stuff".  After all anyone who advises post workout carbohydrates has got to be an idiot right?  LOL............fucking clown he is!

Jizzacked

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 12:20:16 PM »
I also recently found out that three of my mother's siblings have all had heart attacks relatively early in life (40's-50's) and it was a strong motivator for me to get this panel done.  I would rather find out now and remedy the situation while I am still fairly young.  I do have hypertension, but it is controlled to normal levels with a beta blocker, which I started taking years ago when it was first discovered.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 12:22:03 PM »
Eating clean has no bearing on cholesterol levels.

Yes this is a good point.  Dietary cholesterol has only a very small effect at most on blood cholesterol.  Along the same lines:

- Eating sodium doesn't really do much to your blood pressure unless you have existing blood pressure issues
- Eating fat doesn't make you fat

...among other dietary myths of the unwashed masses.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 12:27:40 PM »
Yes this is a good point.  Dietary cholesterol has only a very small effect at most on blood cholesterol.  Along the same lines:

- Eating sodium doesn't really do much to your blood pressure unless you have existing blood pressure issues
- Eating fat doesn't make you fat

...among other dietary myths of the unwashed masses.

Whole grains are good for you!  Is another huge one nowadays.  Italians have been eating pasta for centuries using refined flour.  If you made a traditional Italian eat whole wheat pasta they'd slap you in your face!  And traditional Italians suffered some of the lowest rates of heart disease in the world at one time.  Whole wheat/grains have a lot of anti-nutrients.