Author Topic: Ravens Owner Art Modell Passes Away  (Read 2228 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Ravens Owner Art Modell Passes Away
« on: September 06, 2012, 12:10:49 AM »
Dude is 87.   At one time (before LeBron), perhaps the most hated man in Cleveland.  poor guy spending night in hospital, NFL Network reports.

BALTIMORE (AP) -- Former Baltimore Ravens owner Art Modell is hospitalized in Baltimore.

The team says the 87-year-old Modell is at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Kevin Byrne, senior vice president of public and community relations for the team, did not know Modell's condition. But Cleveland television station WKYC reported that Modell's vital organs are failing.

Modell purchased the Cleveland Browns for $4 million in 1961 and moved the franchise to Baltimore in 1996. The relocation made him a hero in Baltimore but a pariah in Cleveland.

He sold a minority interest in the team to Steve Bisciotti in 2000, and in April 2004, Bisciotti completed purchase of the franchise. But Modell retained a 1 percent piece of the team and is listed in the current Ravens media guide as a minority owner.

During his days as sole owner of the team, Modell served as NFL president from 1967-69, chaired negotiations for the first collective bargaining agreement with the players in 1968 and was a key figure in getting NFL games televised on Monday nights.

Modell enjoyed watching the Ravens practice, always riding in a golf cart because he had difficulty walking. But those visits became more infrequent in recent years because of his failing health.

His wife of 42 years, Patricia, died in 2011.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/09/06/art-modell-hospitalized.ap/index.html#ixzz25fhFTm9r

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
Re: Ravens Owner Art Modell Hospitalized, in Grave Condition
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 04:41:04 AM »

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 04:47:14 AM »
Dude sold out a while ago, Steve Biscotti is the man now. PIP, he did die this morning, thanks for running a great team and leavin that shithole.

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 06:01:07 AM »
was he also the owner of MODELL'S sports apparel stores?

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
Re: Ravens Owner Art Modell Passes Away
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 07:43:44 AM »
As a Clevelander and Browns fan, you have mixed emotions. Sad for his kids that he's dead, but still have not forgot how he fucked the city over. For a while he was more hated than Lebron

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 11:57:53 AM »
As a Clevelander and Browns fan, you have mixed emotions. Sad for his kids that he's dead, but still have not forgot how he fucked the city over. For a while he was more hated than Lebron

Whatever dude....ask any Baltimore football fan what it's like to lose a team.

When Modell left, he didn't take the Browns' name or colors with him like when the Colts left town. And when Cleveland got their team back a few years later, a new football stadium was built that Modell highly coveted and begged years for.

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 11:58:52 AM »
Whatever dude....ask any Baltimore football fan what it's like to lose a team.

When Modell left, he didn't take the Browns' name or colors with him like when the Colts left town. And when Cleveland got their team back a few years later, a new football stadium was built that Modell highly coveted and begged years for.

He TRIED to take the name and colors but the city said it would not sue him if he left the name, colors and record books.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 12:41:31 PM »
He TRIED to take the name and colors but the city said it would not sue him if he left the name, colors and record books.

Not sure I entirely believe that. But if it is true, I stand corrected.

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 12:50:49 PM »
Not sure I entirely believe that. But if it is true, I stand corrected.

My Dad worked for the City and worked closely with the Mayor at the time, Mike White who did the negotiating for the city. The NFL also wanted Cleveland to keep its name and history.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 01:12:15 PM »
My Dad worked for the City and worked closely with the Mayor at the time, Mike White who did the negotiating for the city. The NFL also wanted Cleveland to keep its name and history.

Gotcha...well at the end of the day...both Cleveland and Baltimore got what they wanted.

Everything except for a competitive series....Can't remember the last time Cleveland beat Baltimore.

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »
Gotcha...well at the end of the day...both Cleveland and Baltimore got what they wanted.

Everything except for a competitive series....Can't remember the last time Cleveland beat Baltimore.

Its been a while and will be even longer. Randy Lerner was an absentee owner, unlike his Dad, Al who loved being the owner. The Browns have been set back at least 5-7 years with bad draft picks (Tim Couch, Geral Warren, William Green). So sad. And Mike Holgrean isnt doing better. If the Browns could have pried Ozzie Newsome away to be out GM, things may be different

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 01:54:29 PM »
The best tickets I ever got at a Ravens game was a Browns game. 2009, I sat right behind the bench in row 12 and watched a drubbing of the clowns.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
O

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 12:23:40 PM »
They had a moment of silence for Art Modell at every stadium in the NFL today.   Except Cleveland.

They feared negative response from the crowd maybe?  Like cheers or something cruel like that?

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 07:28:35 AM »
They had a moment of silence for Art Modell at every stadium in the NFL today.   Except Cleveland.

They feared negative response from the crowd maybe?  Like cheers or something cruel like that?

Something cruel. It would have gotten ugly. People in Cleveland are STILL not over him moving the Browns and some never will. The Modell family told the Browns NOT to honor him. What Art did (and Lebron) will never be forgiven in Cleveland. NEVER!!!!

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 07:31:52 AM »
another sports story non-NFL fans could careless about. 

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 07:41:30 AM »
another sports story non-NFL fans could careless about. 

You are not a man if you dont like football! What do you do on Saturday and Sunday?  Paint your nails, get a pedicure, YARD work?  Silly rabbit

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 07:52:52 AM »
You are not a man if you dont like football! What do you do on Saturday and Sunday?  Paint your nails, get a pedicure, YARD work?  Silly rabbit

NCAAF on Saturday and chase tail on Sunday in North Park.  Fuck the NFL!

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 08:04:39 AM »
NCAAF on Saturday and chase tail on Sunday in North Park.  Fuck the NFL!

Sunday we pray at the alter of Roger Godell. Besides, why not just get some chick to come over and service you WHILE watching the NFL