Author Topic: found an interesting quote by Mentzer regarding his training of Sharon Bruneau  (Read 7848 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
i find this hard to believe, but who knows, maybe it's true...

“A few years ago I started training champion bodybuilder Sharon Bruneau. After her first week of three workouts, she told me she wanted to stop training for a while because she’d already seen an increase in size. She was worried she’d be too big for the Ms. Olympia. After three weeks of no training, I put Sharon through another week of three workouts. Curiously enough, she was stronger on every set of every exercise in that second series of three workouts. That meant she’d succeeded in stimulating an increase during the first series of workouts and that her body had not only produced but also maintained the increase—for three weeks. If the body does in fact decompensate after 96 hours, she would have been weaker, but she was considerably stronger after three weeks of absolutely no weight training."

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
He was a little off. That HIT training works, but it burns you out FAST!!!  I try to train like that once a week. It takes a LOT, to do 1-2 sets until failure (I do 2 sets)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Drug addicts massaging drug addicts. Retard3

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Maybe she didn't want to train with Mentzer and trained elsewhere for three weeks only to be convinced to return for another try at it...in other words, how does mentzer know what she did for those three weeks?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Mentzer was known to lie about his work outs, and was high as a kite through most of the 80's, including running around LA naked claiming Arnold sent a hit squad after him......

cephissus

• Getbig V
He was a little off. That HIT training works, but it burns you out FAST!!!  I try to train like that once a week. It takes a LOT, to do 1-2 sets until failure (I do 2 sets)

a lot to do 1-2 sets to failure???  what do you normally do?

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!

2 sets to failure, once a week? No way is that even humanly possible. You would die of massive CNS failure before the second set was completed.

MB

• Getbig IV
Most anyone could train 3 times in a week, take 3 weeks off, then come back and repeat the workout week and be "stronger".  The problem is trying to increase strength over the coarse of several months and years.  It becomes an impossible task for an advanced lifter to keep upping the intensity. 

booty

• Getbig V
Yeah it sounds like Sharon didn't want to train with Mentzer and was trying to get rid of him.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
How could he not even suspect it was drugs??? ???

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
1-2 sets to failure works per exercise maybe 2 exercises per bodypart its brutal though. Most people arent willing to do this hence they do volume training which is ok if you got the genes but if you dont have the genes it wont work. Just think if Woody Allen did volume training he would get nowhere his best bet is HIT, although he dont have the genes still the best for him. Genes rule or their would be 100 Mr O's.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Yeah it sounds like Sharon didn't want to train with Mentzer and was trying to get rid of him.
Then why did she return for more?

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V

“A few years ago I started training champion bodybuilder Sharon Bruneau. After her first week of three workouts, she told me she wanted to stop training for a while because she’d already seen an increase in size. She was worried she’d be too big for the Ms. Olympia. After three weeks of no training, I put Sharon through another week of three workouts. Curiously enough, she was stronger on every set of every exercise in that second series of three workouts. That meant she’d succeeded in stimulating an increase during the first series of workouts and that her body had not only produced but also maintained the increase—for three weeks. If the body does in fact decompensate after 96 hours, she would have been weaker, but she was considerably stronger after three weeks of absolutely no weight training."

Can anyone elaborate on this? Is this true?

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Tired of gurus acting like this shit is rocket science and that they each have discovered the holy grail of muscle attainment. Mentzer was weird. I saw him enuff at Venice in the nineties after he really lost his mind to know that although some of theories are sound the guy was a complete whack job. And you can throw this latest mentzer double blind study out the window cuz Sharon was juiced to the gills at the time anyway.
She was hot tho but attention whore was my impression doing dumbbell lunges up n down the godam gym all the time.

Schmoff

• Getbig V
Drug addicts massaging drug addicts. Retard3

:D

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
So if after 96 hours the body starts to lose muscle mass then one week between body parts is not enough?

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.

She was hot tho but attention whore was my impression doing dumbbell lunges up n down the godam gym all the time.

you = lustful cockmonster

"omg, I wish this hot chick would go away instead of parading her ass up and down for my viewing pleasure"

jwb

• Getbig V
I knew someone who, because of work and family etc, could only train once a week.

Week one he did chest, shoulders, triceps

Week two was legs

Week three was back, biceps

He did high volume and pretty high intensity (many sets to failure). Workouts were two hours or so.

Made better progress than most of the gym.

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
So if after 96 hours the body starts to lose muscle mass then one week between body parts is not enough?

lets not mix up intermittent muscle volume fluctuations with strength

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Never understood the "only 2 sets to failure 2 exercises is soooo difficult" crowd.

I usually do 16-24 sets per bodypart every set to failure sometimes never going over 6 reps and never had a problem completing a workout for years.

Whats the deal?

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Mentzer was known to lie about his work outs, and was high as a kite through most of the 80's, including running around LA naked claiming Arnold sent a hit squad after him......

are you serious???

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
People, who are inherently all lazy, believe more easily in a system that is not time or energy consuming.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew

I've told you on numerous occasions it's possible. I know it's anecdotal, but I've rested for 3-4 weeks before and got considerably stronger. I haven't trained more frequently than once a week in 4 years...

cephissus

• Getbig V
Never understood the "only 2 sets to failure 2 exercises is soooo difficult" crowd.

I usually do 16-24 sets per bodypart every set to failure sometimes never going over 6 reps and never had a problem completing a workout for years.

Whats the deal?

x2 except the "never had a problem" part... like wtf, 3-5 sets to failure is considered a "hard workout" for some people???

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
I've told you on numerous occasions it's possible. I know it's anecdotal, but I've rested for 3-4 weeks before and got considerably stronger. I haven't trained more frequently than once a week in 4 years...

ok man, this could be so, and i'm not saying that it ain't

but i believe training just once a week could/would only work for fellas who are beastly strong ie. squat and dead with 400 pounds for reps, and bench with 300 pounds for reps

IMO, there is certainly over-training, but there is under-training as well, and both are hallmarked by a lack of steady progress

Mentzer's old training style, when he was competing was more "ideal" again IMO, as he training each muscle twice a week on a 2-way split training 4 days per week