Author Topic: One more time guys... Deadlifts Twice a Week?  (Read 3435 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
One more time guys... Deadlifts Twice a Week?
« on: September 14, 2012, 05:44:31 PM »
I'm a completely natural bitch, all Creatine, Crystal Lite, and Pickled Eggs...

I do stiff legged dead lifts on leg day (Monday), should I do regular dead lifts on back day (Wednesday)?

cephissus

• Getbig V
Re: One more time guys... Deadlifts Twice a Week?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 05:50:07 PM »
i did this for many years.  looking back, i probably should have taken it a little easier on them, since the movements are so similar the two exercises are basically the same thing.

if you're doing SLDL for "legs" and deadlifts for "back" you may as well just keep the stiff legged variant and ditch the normal deadlifts.  doing deadlifts for "back" doesn't really make any sense, imo, the only "back" involvement is isometric.  what other isometric exercises do you do specifically for a body part?  maybe planks for abs, if you're a homo :D

on the other hand it doesn't matter if you do both, just as long as you do the right amount of weight/sets/reps in the end...

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 05:50:13 PM »
Bowel stimulating enemas usually consist of water, which works primarily as a mechanical stimulant, or they may be made up of water with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) or water with a mild hand soap dissolved in it. Buffered sodium phosphate solution draws additional water from the bloodstream into the colon to increase the effectiveness of the enema, but can be rather irritating to the colon, causing intense cramping or "griping." Mineral oil functions as a lubricant and stool softener, but often has the side effect of sporadic seepage from the patient's anus which can soil undergarments for up to 24 hours. Glycerol is a specific bowel mucosa irritant and when introduced in very dilute solution serves to induce peristalsis.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 05:52:21 PM »
i did this for many years.  looking back, i probably should have taken it a little easier on them, since the movements are so similar the two exercises are basically the same thing.

if you're doing SLDL for "legs" and deadlifts for "back" you may as well just keep the stiff legged variant and ditch the normal deadlifts.  doing deadlifts for "back" doesn't really make any sense, imo, the only "back" involvement is isometric.  what other isometric exercises do you do specifically for a body part?  maybe planks for abs, if you're a homo :D

on the other hand it doesn't matter if you do both, just as long as you do the right amount of weight/sets/reps in the end...

Makes sense, thanks!

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 05:59:17 PM »
You could do both but you'd need to keep the volume and poundages moderate, like say 3-5 sets at 70-80%. Another way that could work is to alternate light/heavy heavy/light.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 06:03:27 PM »
I'm a completely natural bitch, all Creatine, Crystal Lite, and Pickled Eggs...

I do stiff legged dead lifts on leg day (Monday), should I do regular dead lifts on back day (Wednesday)?
deads every 8 days if you know what's good for you. ;D
F

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 06:14:54 PM »
only if you up the dosage....

::)

why? You think you are going to make gains 2x as fast?
all drugs - TPPIIP

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 06:16:19 PM »
You could do both but you'd need to keep the volume and poundages moderate, like say 3-5 sets at 70-80%. Another way that could work is to alternate light/heavy heavy/light.

I've been training forever and never tried that before.  I'll give it a go, thanks!!!

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 06:56:22 PM »
doing deadlifts for "back" doesn't really make any sense, imo, the only "back" involvement is isometric.  what other isometric exercises do you do specifically for a body part?  
Not true at all man. Proper deadlifts requires scapular retraction as well as even greater humoral extension.  Then add on top of that the tremendous erector and trapezius workload being executed. Deads absoutely hammer your back. There's a massive amount of sarcomere damage done on a heavy deadlift day. Theres a reason why it's one of the "big 3." I'm sure a more qualified kinesio guy could explain better than myself.

Anyone ever done just a deadlift day of say 10 sets? I do it weekly...Your back will be blasted if you are performing the movement correctly.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 08:14:16 PM »
Not true at all man. Proper deadlifts requires scapular retraction as well as even greater humoral extension.  Then add on top of that the tremendous erector and trapezius workload being executed. Deads absoutely hammer your back. There's a massive amount of sarcomere damage done on a heavy deadlift day. Theres a reason why it's one of the "big 3." I'm sure a more qualified kinesio guy could explain better than myself.

Anyone ever done just a deadlift day of say 10 sets? I do it weekly...Your back will be blasted if you are performing the movement correctly.

yes massive "scapular retraction" happening during deadlifts all around the world.  and the humeral extension is passive... ::)

and yes i know deadlifts "blast" the back, and yes I have done a "deadlift only" day.  you can also "blast" the back just fine with rows and pullups, which is what i'd recommend considering he's also doing SLDLs on leg day.  but hey, it's not like it really matters!  anyone could build the back of their dreams with or without deads.  i just find it funny that it's practically considered a mandatory back exercise when isometric exercises are barely touched by the bbing community otherwise.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 04:54:06 PM »
deadlifts are the only exercise i wont due, either takes too long to recover or a blow out my back or combination of both
A

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »
deadlifts are the only exercise i wont due, either takes too long to recover or a blow out my back or combination of both
one of best exercises to produce the torn biceps all bodybuilders so covet. ;D ;D ;D
F

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 05:40:23 PM »
Picking up bags of concrete/cans of paint = deadlifts.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 06:05:53 PM »
yes massive "scapular retraction" happening during deadlifts all around the world.  and the humeral extension is passive... ::)

and yes i know deadlifts "blast" the back, and yes I have done a "deadlift only" day.  you can also "blast" the back just fine with rows and pullups, which is what i'd recommend considering he's also doing SLDLs on leg day.  but hey, it's not like it really matters!  anyone could build the back of their dreams with or without deads.  i just find it funny that it's practically considered a mandatory back exercise when isometric exercises are barely touched by the bbing community otherwise.
You should be retracting those scaps as much as possible on your deads...if you're not, you're seriously missing out if hypertrophy is your thing. "Scapular retraction is the key to back exercises..." is a common theme in kinesiology, it's not my own idea.

Blasting your back "just fine" doesn't mean you're recruiting the maximum amount of motor units you COULD on a back workout. Just some food for thought here.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 06:21:53 PM »
I know back in his absolute hardcore prime, Bluto was doing upwards of 2 to 3 deadlift sessions a day. Don't know what kind of results he was getting from it though.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 06:28:54 PM »
I know back in his absolute hardcore prime, Bluto was doing upwards of 2 to 3 deadlift sessions a day. Don't know what kind of results he was getting from it though.
Hope he kept his abs tight at all times  :o

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 07:01:35 PM »
From a power lifting prospective, twice a week. From a bodybuilding prospective. None to once a week.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 07:18:34 PM »
As a former competitive USPF powerlifter, with three Master's ratings and one Elite rating, I say with absolute sincerity; I have never seen a competetive powerlifter pull aka deadlift more than once a week.

That said, my best competitive days were during the Clinton administration- things change.

Bodybuilding? Many excellent BB'ers did lots of DL's- Michael Francois, Jim Quinn, Tom Platz, JP Fux, Aaron Baker- just a few cats I knew personally. I say throw them in off season, and drop then as your diet tightens.

Send me a postcard when you're famous.
a

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 07:43:36 PM »
As a former competitive USPF powerlifter, with three Master's ratings and one Elite rating, I say with absolute sincerity; I have never seen a competetive powerlifter pull aka deadlift more than once a week.

That said, my best competitive days were during the Clinton administration- things change.

Bodybuilding? Many excellent BB'ers did lots of DL's- Michael Francois, Jim Quinn, Tom Platz, JP Fux, Aaron Baker- just a few cats I knew personally. I say throw them in off season, and drop then as your diet tightens.

Send me a postcard when you're famous.

Westside does it every week. One ME, one Speed.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 07:48:18 PM »
Westside does it every week. One ME, one Speed.

:) Louie and the Boys seem to get it right.
a

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 07:49:37 PM »
I deadlift and I'm a very formidable man.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 07:50:30 PM »
I deadlift and I'm a very formidable man.

Are you lookin' for trouble?
a

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 07:55:53 PM »
COME TO ME BRO!!!!!!!!!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 07:59:06 PM »
:) Louie and the Boys seem to get it right.

Yep, we run a similar template with our athletes with a few variations. Strong and fast as hell with (so far) no injuries this season and none the past 3.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 08:02:17 PM »
Yep, we run a similar template with our athletes with a few variations. Strong and fast as hell with (so far) no injuries this season and none the past 3.

I was at Diablo Barbell (Nor Cal's premier PL gym) last week. I am definitely way behind the curve. Evidently Westside BB still sets the tone &  tempo for powerlifting.

Kick ass gym. Swing by when you are in the Bay Area.  
a