Author Topic: UFC 152 picks  (Read 13077 times)

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
UFC 152 picks
« on: September 18, 2012, 02:26:15 PM »
Someone had to start one for this.

Does Vitor have a chance? I hope so. I'd love him to be the one to deflate Jones' head and bring him back to Earth.

HTe only other fight on the bill i care for is Bisping vs Stann. I wouldn't be too shocked by Stann ko-ing Bisping, but i'm expecting Bisping to be smart enough to avoid Stann's hits and likely win on the ground.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
Re: UFC 152 picks
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:23:32 AM »
Here are my picks for UFC 152's maincard..

Jones vs Belfort:  I'd give it to Jones.  Belfort is past his prime at this point and won't be able to answer any of Jones' attacks.  If it's a striking match, Jones has 4 inches over Belfort, not to mention a ridiculous reach.  If it goes to the ground, we could see some decent action from both, but I think Belfort will gas way before Jones if it goes to the ground.  Remember, Jones has a lot to prove with this fight in the form of reminding Dana why he is the best fighter in the UFC (second to Anderson Silva of course IMO).

Benavidez vs Johnson: A close decision, but I'd have to go with Benavidez.

Bisping vs Stann: I'd go with Bisping.  I've never been a huge fan of Bisping.  That said, I think he does have solid skill and can outstrike many opponents, as well as dominate on the ground.  My problem with Bisping is that IMO he probably has a nice glass jaw that not too many fighter have been able to exploit besides Dan Henderson.  I think Stann is a tough SOB, but unfortunately don't see him getting past Bisping.

Hamill vs Hollett:  Hamill all the way.

Swanson vs Oliveira:  Toss up.

"1"

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 02:16:12 PM »
As you can see, this board is largely dead.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 10:20:36 PM »

Jones will win...

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 06:41:01 AM »
Hamill vs Hollett:  Hamill all the way.

When did Matt Hamill come out of retirement?

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »
When did Matt Hamill come out of retirement?

That kid hasn't given up quite yet..

"1"

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 02:56:13 AM »
jones will win by submission maybe in the fourth
T

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 09:27:46 AM »
jones will win by submission maybe in the fourth

Accurate prediction!

"1"

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 10:53:42 AM »
Hate to say it but it almost looked like Vitor gave up after the first. Why continue to pull guard if you're eating elbows? Seems like it would have smarter to stay standing and be more aggressive.

Never been a Bisping fan, loved it when Dan clobbered him.

And wtf is with those little bastards??  That was fun to watch, so fast!!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 11:02:09 AM »
Hate to say it but it almost looked like Vitor gave up after the first. Why continue to pull guard if you're eating elbows? Seems like it would have smarter to stay standing and be more aggressive.

Never been a Bisping fan, loved it when Dan clobbered him.

And wtf is with those little bastards??  That was fun to watch, so fast!!

I think Vitor had a chance with the armbar, but afterwards probably figured, "wtf, I'm getting good money for this fight, why break my back with Jones" and gave up.

Sadly, we need better competition for these guys.  The way I see it, Anderson Silva has no competition in his division and the same goes for Jones.

I'd love for them to have a unification fight with Silva vs Jones, but I think those guys woudn't go there unless Dana offers them individually a few million dollars to take the fight (something which Dana and the Fertita's don't believe in doing).

"1"

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 09:04:21 AM »
I feel Jones would manhandle Silva.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 01:14:44 PM »
I feel Jones would manhandle Silva.

I think they would have a serious slugfest and Silva would edge out a win via submission. Clearly, I am biased towards Silva, but I can agree with the possibility of Jones landing a win.

I just think that Silva's overall experience with big fights and different caliber contenders would allow him to beat Jones in the end.

Age, Stamina, Speed goes to Jones..

Skill, experience and strength goes to Silva..

"1"

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 01:18:45 PM »
I don't think Silva would be able to penetrate Jones' reach. 

Even if he does manage to, Jones will bully him around.  He's a much bigger, younger, stronger, Silva. 

Once Jones gets his hands on Silva (considering the distance is overcome), Silvas a goner.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 05:11:28 PM »
I don't think Silva would be able to penetrate Jones' reach. 

Even if he does manage to, Jones will bully him around.  He's a much bigger, younger, stronger, Silva. 

Once Jones gets his hands on Silva (considering the distance is overcome), Silvas a goner.

If he were to attempt to keep the fight standing, I think he would much rather use leg kicks (bring in his Muay Thai know-how into the mix) in order to attack Jones. Silva's reach wouldn't be too helpful against Jones.

That said, I don't think Silva would care to penetrate his reach.  On the contrary, I think Silva's game plan with Jones would be to take it straight to the ground.  While Jones is a solid wrestler, Silva is a black belt in JiuJitsu with over 2 decades worth of experience in that discipline alone.  I don't think Jones would fare too well with Silva on the ground.  His height advantage would go right out the door.

Again, this is all hypothetical, because this fight might very well never happen, but if I were Silva, that would be my approach towards Jones.

"1"

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 01:33:19 PM »
No offense, but if you think Silva would handle Jones on the ground, you're crazy.  Jones is a solid wrestler and has so much leverage that even top wrestlers can't hang.  And I'd say Jones has the best elbows in the business.

Silva would never get his muay thai going either.  Jones has too much distance due to his reach.

A much better fight would be Silva/GSP.  Much closer.

Jones is too much a monster for Silva.  

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 04:49:28 PM »
Jones is too much a monster for Silva.  

Wrestling and BJJ are two different forms all together.  While it is much easier for a wrestler to become highly skilled in BJJ, as opposed to a random newbie, there are still many differences.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  I truly hope this "superfight" goes down at some point.  I'd love to see the outcome.

"1"