Author Topic: Sergio Oliva - Photo Shoot 2 Days After The 1972 Mr. Olympia - PICS!!!  (Read 26399 times)

johnny1

• Getbig IV
Re: Sergio Oliva - Photo Shoot 2 Days After The 1972 Mr. Olympia - PICS!!!
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 06:02:58 PM »
His hams were better than Arnold's while they went head to head and were some of the best at that time. His back along with Arnold were the best at that time also.

Abs were not greatest, but not a weak point either.
Yeah Arnold probably had the Better Back overall, Sergio the Width Factor, the thing is alot of Guys dont Realize is that way back in those Days Mainly the 1960s and early 1970s is that the V-Taper was the most sort after Effect for a BDB....as in alot of the Top Stars of the era went for hitting the BDB pushing there shoulders out hard.... Especially Sergio highlighting the differential between his waist and shoulder width, the picture ND just posted Highlights that point....instead of CONTRACTING the back muscles as Arnold did alot giving a Much thicker look to the Back, it wasn't until the LATE 1970s-1985 SERGIO actually starting hitting the BDB Properly.... CONTRACTING the back muscles, giving a Different effect than when he was actually in his Prime.

Iceman1981

• Getbig V
  • www.LegendsOfBodybuilding.com
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2012, 07:08:36 PM »
Yeah Arnold probably had the Better Back overall, Sergio the Width Factor, the thing is alot of Guys dont Realize is that way back in those Days Mainly the 1960s and early 1970s is that the V-Taper was the most sort after Effect for a BDB....as in alot of the Top Stars of the era went for hitting the BDB pushing there shoulders out hard.... Especially Sergio highlighting the differential between his waist and shoulder width, the picture ND just posted Highlights that point....instead of CONTRACTING the back muscles as Arnold did alot giving a Much thicker look to the Back, it wasn't until the LATE 1970s-1985 SERGIO actually starting hitting the BDB Properly.... CONTRACTING the back muscles, giving a Different effect than when he was actually in his Prime.

Spot on.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2012, 07:14:31 PM »
his waist is way too small and shoulders way too wide.  what was he thinking??   

fuk what a joke this 'sport' has become

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2012, 08:13:58 PM »
his waist is way too small and shoulders way too wide.  what was he thinking??   

fuk what a joke this 'sport' has become

I hope you are being sarcastic in some way. small waist large legs and large upper body = win.

A giant gut is very unappealing.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 08:43:53 PM »
He had a crazy physique. And his coconut head made his body look even that much bigger.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 09:12:16 PM »
Small traps and delts? LOL oh boy. They weren't small for his time.

I'll agree; For his time, his traps and delts weren't so small.  By today's standards, though, his great structure seems wasted -- his upper back, delts and abs could have been much, much better developed.   

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2012, 09:33:29 PM »
I'll agree; For his time, his traps and delts weren't so small.  By today's standards, though, his great structure seems wasted -- his upper back, delts and abs could have been much, much better developed.   

I think it's possible Sergio's abs (except for 1972 and 1977) weren't as sliced as they could be, because he wasn't as ripped as he could be. It's possible he was holding just a tiny bit of water or fat that prevented his abs from showing so completely.

In 1977, he was ripped to shreds posing poolside with etched abs but was noticably smaller than the late '60s/early '70s.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2012, 09:34:30 PM »
I hope you are being sarcastic in some way. small waist large legs and large upper body = win.

A giant gut is very unappealing.
\

i sure hope you sensed the sarcasm, i was laying it on pretty damn thick!!!  lol

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2012, 10:15:34 PM »
40 years ago :o :o :o

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2012, 10:20:07 PM »
I think it's possible Sergio's abs (except for 1972 and 1977) weren't as sliced as they could be, because he wasn't as ripped as he could be. It's possible he was holding just a tiny bit of water or fat that prevented his abs from showing so completely.

In 1977, he was ripped to shreds posing poolside with etched abs but was noticably smaller than the late '60s/early '70s.

It's true that most of the pics I've seen show him in less than ripped condition so maybe that's what I don't like.  A guy who has a similar freaky build but who came a little later, was Robby Robinson -- who I thought looked better than Sergio.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 10:25:41 PM »
It's really hard to believe that Sergio attained this kind of physique 40 years ago. Here is Sergio 2 days after the 1972 Mr. Olympia which many think he should have won instead of Arnold. Some say that this is his All-Time best condition. It's hard to argue against that after seeing these pics.

Over 60 Pics -----> Sergio Oliva Photo Shoot 2 Days After The 1972 Mr Olympia

For what it's worth (nothing I'm sure. haha) I'm a fan of your site. If I may make a suggestion..add, Rory, Bob Paris, Jon Aranita and of course....myself ;D It was what West Coast bodybuilding was.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 10:27:42 PM »
Robby had a Great BDB, Biceps, abs/tie ins and V Taper, his somewhat highish Calves and more so inconsistent Conditioning let him down @ the Mr O and bye the Late 70s when Zane was ruling the roost with just that very thing... Detail and Conditioning.... this was a Must, in the Gym Robby looked Near unbeatable....on the O stage when Zane was the Best not so.  

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2012, 02:02:04 AM »

Three of the best physiques ever.

Hard to say who was better out of him and Arnold. Arnold had more detail in most muscle groups and better conditioning. Sergio had the tiny waist, better legs. Both had full muscle bellies. I would give the edge to Arnold.
Trans Milkshake.

Sam

• Getbig IV
  • I just shoot the bastards.....Thats my policy!
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2012, 02:33:45 AM »
Just Incredible - His thickness is mindblowing.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2012, 02:44:04 AM »

Hard to say who was better out of him and Arnold. Arnold had more detail in most muscle groups and better conditioning. Sergio had the tiny waist, better legs. Both had full muscle bellies. I would give the edge to Arnold.
Fair point there, Arnold had the Conditioning over Sergio and left NOTHING too chance in the showdowns they had as in EVERYTHING, Physique, Posing, stage presence, the whole Package, im probably in the Minority here however imo i think Sergio actually had the Better Physique When in Top Shape... but not bye much.....and in a close thing between the 2 Arnold was the Superior Poser, had alot better actual Stage Presence, and was Superior in his all round Conditioning, Sergio (it seems) just went out there on stage threw a whole heap of Awkward somewhat clumsy Poses and walked off.... as if to say "Right now"... ive won right?  

V Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2012, 04:28:10 AM »
Color me unimpressed.  A guy with chest and arm development like that should not have such small traps and delts hips and waist.

Fixed

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
Sergio was the most genetically gifted Bodybuilder ever!

Iceman1981

• Getbig V
  • www.LegendsOfBodybuilding.com
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2012, 09:43:21 AM »
For what it's worth (nothing I'm sure. haha) I'm a fan of your site. If I may make a suggestion..add, Rory, Bob Paris, Jon Aranita and of course....myself ;D It was what West Coast bodybuilding was.

Thanks Coach. I appreciate the feedback. I'll add pics of those mentioned above in the near future.

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2012, 11:43:12 AM »
If Sergio would've been the "Weider boy"....Maybe Arnold would've been a one time Mr. O(1970) like Sammir,Chris and Dexter.

Who knows really?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2012, 11:51:07 AM »
If Sergio would've been the "Weider boy"....Maybe Arnold would've been a one time Mr. O(1970) like Sammir,Chris and Dexter.

Who knows really?

Sergio was a " Weider boy " for three years ( 1966-1969 ) when he won the Olympia. Sergio didn't just lose in the IFBB he competed in NABBA and lost there to , to Bill Pearl

Sergio was Flex Wheeler of his time , outstanding physique but inconsistent and relied to much on his genetics to carry him through and put his failures on the feet of others instead of looking inward.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2012, 11:58:51 AM »

hAHAHAHHAHA....look at Arnold's and Nubret's calves...pathetic.  Very Wolfesk.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2012, 12:00:31 PM »
hAHAHAHHAHA....look at Arnold's and Nubret's calves...pathetic.  Very Wolfesk.

Arnold's at this contest? Nah

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »
Sergio was a " Weider boy " for three years ( 1966-1969 ) when he won the Olympia. Sergio didn't just lose in the IFBB he competed in NABBA and lost there to , to Bill Pearl

Sergio was Flex Wheeler of his time , outstanding physique but inconsistent and relied to much on his genetics to carry him through and put his failures on the feet of others instead of looking inward.

That's a way to see it.....  (But go back in time) In the 60's   Sergio was the best bodybuilder in the world and the Olympia was just a new contest by Joe and his federation.....is not like today where every pro bodybuilder dream is to win the Mr.O

I'm not saying that Arnold didnt deserved being the center/poster boy for IFBB...is just that back then (60's)guys like Blonde Bomber,Nubret,Pearl and Oliva didnt feel the need to kiss the "Master blaster's behind"....  even if it hurt their Respective legacies in the long run.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »
It might pay to take an objective look at exactly why Sergio entered certain non-IFBB contests during 1971-1972. He was not an insider in the IFBB - he entered contests based on the information that he had at the time. Obviously, if he'd known that he'd be banned from competing in the Olympia, he wouldn't have entered those contests.

Somehow... he didn't get the memo and Arnold soundly beat relatively weak competition in 1973-1975. Lou was big but no Sergio.

I'm a huge Arnold fan and it's so close between the two in their peak shapes... so close that one could argue Sergio was being manipulated to stay out of Arnold's contests after 1972, when even Arnold admits he'd have voted Sergio the winner. Arnold was down in shape from 1971 but it was a wake-up call to him and Joe Weider that Sergio was a threat... perhaps too much of a threat.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2012, 08:31:18 PM »
It might pay to take an objective look at exactly why Sergio entered certain non-IFBB contests during 1971-1972. He was not an insider in the IFBB - he entered contests based on the information that he had at the time. Obviously, if he'd known that he'd be banned from competing in the Olympia, he wouldn't have entered those contests.

Somehow... he didn't get the memo and Arnold soundly beat relatively weak competition in 1973-1975. Lou was big but no Sergio.

I'm a huge Arnold fan and it's so close between the two in their peak shapes... so close that one could argue Sergio was being manipulated to stay out of Arnold's contests after 1972, when even Arnold admits he'd have voted Sergio the winner. Arnold was down in shape from 1971 but it was a wake-up call to him and Joe Weider that Sergio was a threat... perhaps too much of a threat.
Interesting points, imo i really dont think Oliva gave a Rats ass too be Honest, as in after he lost to Arnold @ both the 70 World and 70 Olympia he was "convinced" Weider had found the Golden goose in Arnold... and that from then on he was Battling more than Arnold come contest time, the IFBB in Particular were out to "get him" due too non Compliance and not being a Yes man, a interesting point was that after the 72 Olympia swearing black and blue he would never get a fair go in the IFBB.... he went and competed anyway in the 1973 IFBB MR International in Mexico.... where Arnold, Weider, Columbu were spectators @ the show, Sergio told arnold was in the house ;D ;D ;D.... Challenges Arnold from the stage...Weider stands up and "Declines" on Arnolds behalf ??? ??? ???, Columbo takes up the challenge and promptly get trounced bye Oliva ;) ;) ;)... Sergio winning the Show...with in the day....the "results" are REVERSED....Oliva Disqualified for some "reason" according to the IFBB....and Franco is Declared the "Winner"... 1973 MR International........... ... :o :o :o :o :o :o