Author Topic: intermittent fasting- Can someone explain it to me pliz?  (Read 3815 times)

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
intermittent fasting- Can someone explain it to me pliz?
« on: September 22, 2012, 09:32:15 AM »
It's just another new trend or does it really work?

If I fast 16 hours, it means that I can eat as much as I want at one meal then I need to fast again for 16 hours?  ???

Any experiences?

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
Re: intermittent fasting- Can someone explain it to me pliz?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »

If I fast 16 hours, it means that I can eat as much as I want at one meal then I need to fast again for 16 hours?  ???

Any experiences?

Fasting is only beneficial if accompanied with some sort of "cleansing" regiment. Flexingtonsteele put me on one a few years ago; only or vegetable juice, jello and tons of fiber for about 3 days. My asshole was never that clean afterwards. I felt like shit the first 48 but I remember feeling awesome for a while after that.
®

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 10:17:45 AM »
This fellow is a biggie on the IF scene, he should explain it decently -

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html .

http://www.leangains.com/2008/06/brief-primer-on-popular-approaches-to.html .

I found it fit my day pretty well, I got stronger, and a bit leaner, but if I was bodybuilding, I go with a more traditional approach.

No Patience

• Getbig IV
  • adaptation is the creator of evolution
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 10:21:20 AM »
Fasting is only beneficial if accompanied with some sort of "cleansing" regiment. Flexingtonsteele put me on one a few years ago; only vegetebal juice, jello and tons of fiber for about 3 days. My asshole was never that clean afterwards. I felt like shit the first 48 but I remember feeling awesome for a while after that.

Fasting itself is a cleansing.

My wife follows the 16/8 IF style of eating. She does very well with it. I swear by fasting. I started with IF via Martin Berkhan but changed to Pilons 24hr fasts. I eat above maintenance 2 days followed with a 24hr fast. This has been the most effective way i have ever used for getting lean. There is no muscle loss, and actually i feel stronger and fuller by doing fasts. I also do not workout around fasts, if it is a fast day and a workout day i do it and do not eat anything until time.

6 small meals a day is such fucking bullshit. Especially for someone who is natural. I eat 1-3 meals a day with fasting. Strength gains and efficient fat loss.

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 10:35:50 AM »
Don`t eat, then eat and then don`t eat. hth.
time under tension

No Patience

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 10:58:47 AM »
Fasting is proven to be extremely beneficial to long term health and overall efficiency of the bodies many functions.

It is also a much more natural life to follow than being in a fed state all day.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 12:51:05 PM »
As beneficial as downhill mountain biking wearing assless ck briefs and a stale baguette for a saddle

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 01:06:18 PM »
As beneficial as downhill mountain biking wearing assless ck briefs and a stale baguette for a saddle

"Big"Sip, are you saying you're not willing to impose on yourself any type of fasting including the "no foreskin diet" which would help curb your daily cockppetite?
®

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »
"Big"Sip, are you saying you're not willing to impose on yourself any type of fasting including the "no foreskin diet" which would help curb your daily cockppetite?

Hahaha yesssss I am not a fan of being in cocktosis

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 02:56:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies and the links, but it looks like a normal person diet to me  ???, except this diet skips breakfast. And the author looks like the typical guy on steroids trying to make a buck from snake oil.  :-\  Does this shit work?

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 03:34:16 PM »
No, it doesn't offer any significant advantage over what any other diet consisting of the same amount of kcals would offer. Just the same with every other diet out there, except some will have you feeling like shit more so because of carb cutting and subsequent serotonin deficiency.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 03:43:48 PM »
Fasting is proven to be extremely beneficial to long term health and overall efficiency of the bodies many functions.

It is also a much more natural life to follow than being in a fed state all day.

some would argue modern life isnt natural

some then would add if modern life isnt so natural then life in its natural state is destined to be modern and not "natural"

so the clear argument IS stuffing your face IS much more "natural"
A

No Patience

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 05:06:17 PM »
some would argue modern life isnt natural

some then would add if modern life isnt so natural then life in its natural state is destined to be modern and not "natural"

so the clear argument IS stuffing your face IS much more "natural"

i would say the most natural way to eat is to work your ass off when fasted, gorge, sleep

No Patience

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »
No, it doesn't offer any significant advantage over what any other diet consisting of the same amount of kcals would offer. Just the same with every other diet out there, except some will have you feeling like shit more so because of carb cutting and subsequent serotonin deficiency.

many people that have used this method have been able to lose the last bit of fat that they otherwise couldnt...but i agree with you that for weight loss, calorie restriction is aspect that makes or breaks

some of the benefits to me:
-i get to eat large meals that satisfy
-i have unreal clearity and energy while in the fasted state
-compliance due to convenience...i dont have to eat at awkward times or watch the clock 24/7
-i eat whatever the fuck i want as long as i keep my protein moderately high

Serotonin deficiency is increased with being in the fed state over the entire day like the bodybuilding brainwashers recommend

No Patience

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 05:20:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies and the links, but it looks like a normal person diet to me  ???, except this diet skips breakfast. And the author looks like the typical guy on steroids trying to make a buck from snake oil.  :-\  Does this shit work?

he is not selling anything...not even a book, no suppliments...he gives all of his researched based advice and info for free...that right there should make you realize it is the real deal

i know it fucking works...i have done the bullshit bodybuilding frequent meals, macro counting...its fucking bullshit, it works but is not necessary

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 06:41:26 PM »
Hahaha yesssss I am not a fan of being in cocktosis

LoL @cocktosis...l  feel like we're speaking an evolved dialect lost in history.

That being said, have you considered penile suppositories to gjve your "digestive system " a "break"?
®

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 06:44:35 PM »
2000 calories on days you don`t work out, 2500 on days you do work out with a 16 hour break from all eating is what I do.  Works extremely well and has many health benefits, particularly in the suppression of IGF-1.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 06:45:04 PM »

Any experiences?

Shameless plug.....

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 06:45:52 PM »
I also eat whatever I want for each day to make my total calories.   Every so often I will have a day where I don`t keep track of calories.  Sometimes several in a row, but the majority is spent with 2000, 2500 and always the 16 hour Fast.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »
Shameless plug.....

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting
You have to admit, you did fight me on this for a while.  Water under the bridge though at this point.  I still one day want to get some sort of training routine from you as I sometimes get tired of my own and would like to increase my lifts a bit.  I`d love to bench press say 340 lbs while weighing 170 lbs, but I am not sure if that will ever be possible.

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 06:53:04 PM »
2000 calories on days you don`t work out, 2500 on days you do work out with a 16 hour break from all eating is what I do.  Works extremely well and has many health benefits, particularly in the suppression of IGF-1.

Who would want to suppress igf-1 while wanting to muscle up????
®

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 07:00:32 PM »
he is not selling anything...not even a book, no suppliments...he gives all of his researched based advice and info for free...that right there should make you realize it is the real deal

i know it fucking works...i have done the bullshit bodybuilding frequent meals, macro counting...its fucking bullshit, it works but is not necessary

Regarding the author, idk man, he's still promoting himself as a PT. But if works for you and some other gbers maybe I should give it a try.

Got it! The thing is, I currently eat 2 smalls meals and 2 normal meals, something like this.

breakfast: 4 white eggs
lunch: something like 1.5 cup of rice and 150 g of chicken-meat or tuna
preworkout (around 5 pm): a small tuna sandwich
postworkout (around 8 pm): something like meal 2 (this is also my dinner)

So, if I try IF I kinda will be eating the same amount of food I eat in my meal 1, around 5-8pm. I mean, I will be eating the same amount of food I currently eat, but at another time, with the difference I'll be fasting for about 16 hours.

I'm a little skeptical about it, but who knows I may try it.

Thanks for the help!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 07:01:19 PM »

Who would want to suppress igf-1 while wanting to muscle up????

Reducing insulin/IGF-1 signaling has been shown to decelerate the degenerative aging process and extend lifespan. I`m in it for the long haul.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 07:02:30 PM »
And then theres this:

The IGF signaling pathway has a pathogenic role in cancer. Studies have shown that increased levels of IGF lead to increased growth of existing cancer cells.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 07:16:26 PM »
You have to admit, you did fight me on this for a while.  Water under the bridge though at this point.  I still one day want to get some sort of training routine from you as I sometimes get tired of my own and would like to increase my lifts a bit.  I`d love to bench press say 340 lbs while weighing 170 lbs, but I am not sure if that will ever be possible.

Yep, actually went to dinner with Berardi last year and he explained it to me and I bought into it. Admittedly though I haven't tried it but I do incorporate it with some of my clients. Years ago when I was training under Rory, we did the same thing especially after our monster cheat days. We usually cheated on Sundays and virtually nothing but water from midnight Sunday till Tuesday breakfast. But to be fair, these were no ordinary cheat days..haha. It's funny and don't get me wrong, I like Berardi, he's a super intelligent guy, but it seems most of the stuff out there is just regurgitated from the old days and repackaged to sell. The difference is there is just a better understanding of why the process actually worked.