Author Topic: those of u who lifted in venice back in the good ol days...  (Read 15846 times)

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
those of u who lifted in venice back in the good ol days...
« on: September 24, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »
whatever happened to big billy smith?

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
Re: those of u who lifted in venice back in the good ol days...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 06:45:26 AM »

Anyone ???

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 07:13:26 PM »
I know this is a bump but all around bug dude and he seems to have just vanished.  Can't find a thing at him.  Not a stalker.  In fact I forgot I posted this till I saw the thread again.  No one?  He was an American gladiator back it the day.

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 07:39:31 AM »
I was there in '94, asked if he could work in with me on the seated calf, "sure ", then he proceeded to stack 5 plates for his first set, I laughed and said "I go do some standing" lol

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 09:21:24 AM »
We talking about William Smith (the actor) or another Smith? The actor play in  lot of low budget biker movies and was in a couple of TV series, way back in the day. He is a white guy. Hung around Venice, I have been told.

William Smith (the actor) was very strong and held the reverse curl record for quite a while. Also a top wrist wrestler. But that was probably around the late 60s & late 70's. He worked out at Vince's for awhile.  Might try IMDB.com, if it was the actor your talking about. Should be a picture there, at that site.
F

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:07:46 AM »
We talking about William Smith (the actor) or another Smith? The actor play in  lot of low budget biker movies and was in a couple of TV series, way back in the day. He is a white guy. Hung around Venice, I have been told.

William Smith (the actor) was very strong and held the reverse curl record for quite a while. Also a top wrist wrestler. But that was probably around the late 60s & late 70's. He worked out at Vince's for awhile.  Might try IMDB.com, if it was the actor your talking about. Should be a picture there, at that site.

The actor you are talking about is a different man. Yours did a movie with Joe Namath among others. This Smith was a monster in the early 90's different guy and on TV with American Gladiators.

sexpert

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 10:23:39 AM »
The actor you are talking about is a different man. Yours did a movie with Joe Namath among others. This Smith was a monster in the early 90's different guy and on TV with American Gladiators.
dude thinks he knows it all ::)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 10:47:31 AM »
dude thinks he knows it all ::)
but he is correct, i think they profiled billy smith in a flex and he more or less moved to the middle of no where with his family, think log cabin in the middle of the frozen north with some monster dogs that he raised.pic is of the other actor smith, i just bought this mag for 4 bucks guy was in a ton of movies including conan with arnold s. he played young conan's father.on set william smith beat ah-nuld at arm rassling. arnold never talked to him again.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 12:45:28 PM »
Yeah, that was the Bill Smith I had in mind, on the mag cover. Lots of movies, over the years. Heard a lot of stories about him form the old BB'ing veterans. Usually good stuff.  He's got to be in his 70's or 80's, I would think.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 02:40:18 PM »
Yeah, that was the Bill Smith I had in mind, on the mag cover. Lots of movies, over the years. Heard a lot of stories about him form the old BB'ing veterans. Usually good stuff.  He's got to be in his 70's or 80's, I would think.

pretty old, he had an interesting life spoke multiple languages including russian taught it at the unibersity level. check out his web site you van even hear him recite some of his poetry, ode to woody, the reaper, ode to a mirror.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 02:41:47 PM »
 :)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 02:42:50 PM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 02:44:28 PM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 02:48:10 PM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 02:58:27 PM »
 :) if anyone  has pics of the other billy smith post them. i remember a pictorial of him working out with jim quinn  in an old flex before quinn left for the wbf.older bill smith used to workout with brad harris as they were friends from young.
F

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 09:23:12 PM »
yeah, that's not he billy smith I ws talking about but that billy smith was also a kind of I wouldn't say hero but as a kid I used to see him play bit parts and man the guns on him.  I think he may have been in a chios episode too.  He fought Clint Eastwood correct in any which way but loose..I think he was in CC rider with Joe Namath and Ann Margaret, He seemd like a cool guy.  Didn't he die of cancer?

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 09:25:51 PM »
:) if anyone  has pics of the other billy smith post them. i remember a pictorial of him working out with jim quinn  in an old flex before quinn left for the wbf.older bill smith used to workout with brad harris as they were friends from young.
I'll look and see.  I should have an old iron man where billy was just up and coming winning some local state show. I remember big jim quinn at venice.  Never forget he gave me a compliment on my squats.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 09:00:26 AM »
yeah, that's not he billy smith I ws talking about but that billy smith was also a kind of I wouldn't say hero but as a kid I used to see him play bit parts and man the guns on him.  I think he may have been in a chios episode too.  He fought Clint Eastwood correct in any which way but loose..I think he was in CC rider with Joe Namath and Ann Margaret, He seemd like a cool guy.  Didn't he die of cancer?
he was in a ton of movies,the eastwood movie was called any which way you can, cc and company a bunch of other motor cycle movies black samson, rich man poor man, and many more see imdb.com under william smith. he's still alive making movies still.
F

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 11:20:08 AM »
Billy Smith, american gladiator, Jim Quinn's training partner, the guy that measured Flex at 0.0% bf in 93. Super strong

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 05:33:33 PM »
Wow
Havn't thought of Bill Smith in a long time. He was good friends with Bert Elliott and they would show up at Zuver's Gym now and then to grab a work out. He had huge arms for the day 18 1/2 incher's. he was so good at many things. In acting he was in many movies and did the Rawhide Series Western for quite some time. He was also the 200lb World Arm Wrestling Champion. Bill also was the last official Marlboro Man for cigarettes before cigarette advertisement was banned from television. Bill still does some acting now and agin. Here are a few shots not shown yet. We all know Dave, Bert, and how Grumpy old Bill can get.
RZ

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 05:54:51 PM »
Just thought you guys might like to see a few vintage pictures of Bert Elliott and Terry Todd on one of their visits to the early 1964 Zuver's Hall of Fame Gym.
Picture
#1-- Bert and Terry checking out the lifting totals on the wall record board.
#2-- Bert signing Zuver's Famous Odd Lift Shifting Water Barrel.
#3-- Bert telling Big Bob Zuver what he thinks of Zuver's Gym.
#4-- Terry Todd witnessing Bert signing The Zuver's Big Water Barrel.

Just a few great moments at Zuver's.
RZ

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 06:10:47 PM »
Just thought you guys might like to see a few vintage pictures of Bert Elliott and Terry Todd on one of there visits to the early 1964 Zuver's Hall of Fame Gym.
Picture

RZ

PS
Funk51
You should like these pics for your records.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 08:10:58 AM »
Wow
Havn't thought of Bill Smith in a long time. He was good friends with Bert Elliott and they would show up at Zuver's Gym now and then to grab a work out. He had huge arms for the day 18 1/2 incher's. he was so good at many things. In acting he was in many movies and did the Rawhide Series Western for quite some time. He was also the 200lb World Arm Wrestling Champion. Bill also was the last official Marlboro Man for cigarettes before cigarette advertisement was banned from television. Bill still does some acting now and agin. Here are a few shots not shown yet. We all know Dave, Bert, and how Grumpy old Bill can get.
RZ
robert do you mean laredo, clint eastwood also a vince's gym member was in rawhide?
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 08:14:19 AM »
Just thought you guys might like to see a few vintage pictures of Bert Elliott and Terry Todd on one of their visits to the early 1964 Zuver's Hall of Fame Gym.
Picture

RZ
[/quote   for sure,      ?????? bert elliot was a fireman i think????????
F

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 11:32:45 AM »
robert do you mean laredo, clint eastwood also a vince's gym member was in rawhide?

Oops.
You are correct.
My mistake. To many things going on at the same time.
Thanks
RZ