Author Topic: Interview with the great Arnold about his best bench, cigarettes in the gym etc  (Read 7010 times)

Pecsellent

• Getbig II
Arnold Forever

In the great galaxy of entertainment, stars are often born from obscurity. Learn how this boy from an Austrian village became the most-recognized champion in bodybuilding history.

by Sean Hyson

Arnold Schwarzenegger's life is one of superlatives: The best bodybuilder of all time. The biggest box office draw for a time. The most powerful man in the most populous state in the country. His may be the greatest success story on the planet, and he doesn't need to work another day in his life to prove it.

At this point, he's so rich and important, he doesn't even have to shave himself—but he still does. In fact, he stopped a groomer on the set of our shoot and took a straight razor to his own face to neaten up the beard he grew for The Tomb, his upcoming movie with Sylvester Stallone.

After dismissing the shaving lotion we offered him for being "too effeminate"—what were we thinking?—the ultimate man's man and icon talked training, movies, and politics in the world's most imitated accent.

QMF: How has the fitness industry changed in your lifetime?
Arnold: Thirty years ago, I could be traveling for a movie and be in a hotel and there would be no gym. Today, nearly every hotel has a workout facility, or there's a place right around the corner. The availability of equipment is much better.

Why is America so fat?
You can't come home and just watch TV or say, "I don't have the energy to cook, so let's just go out and get McDonald's." Not that McDonald's doesn't also have healthy foods, but most of the time people eat the stuff that makes you gain weight—thousand-calorie shakes and malts, and things like that.

When it comes to healthcare reform, we need to give incentives for living healthy. Exercising every day and not smoking should reduce your healthcare costs.

When you see grownups who are obese, their kids are going to be obese.

So what is the solution to the youth obesity crisis in America?
You have to teach kids how to live. My mother started cooking at 4 o'clock. We'd come home from school, do our homework, play soccer, and then eat my mother's food—vegetables, meat, and potatoes. We didn't have a TV set. For as long as parents don't recognize the problem, as long as no one has time to cook, you're going to have this problem.

I also think more money has to be put into physical education programs in schools. I think the food that is being served in most schools today is terrible.

But when I was governor of California, we were the first state to ban soda in schools and junk food in the vending machines.

How would you compare action movies today with the kind you starred in?
Action movies used to be considered B movies, and now they're A movies—the bread and butter of the studios. The original action movies that Sly, Bruce Willis, and I did in the '80s were popular because the heroes had muscles and looked believable.

Now there are a lot of capes and tights, which is OK. There's room for both kinds. But that's why The Expendables 2 is coming out. It's for fans who like muscles and guns. There need to be movies with real muscles, real guns, and fight scenes instead of just people flying around with capes on and superpowers.

How do you choose a movie role these days?
It has to be appealing to everyone. It's egotistical to ask myself, "What [role] would be a great challenge?"

A Shakespearean role may be great and maybe I would pull it off, but is it really what people want me to do? I am performing for the people, not myself.

Just like when you're a politician. You do the people's work and not the policy that appeals to you.

That's the way I look at acting because we are using a lot of people's money. You have to bring that money back and be financially responsible.

How did your training evolve throughout your movie career?
It depended on what objective [the director] had for me.

When I did Stay Hungry, Bob Rafelson made me lose 30 pounds. So two-thirds of my training was cardio, and one-third was weight training.

Whereas, when I made Conan the Barbarian, they wanted me to look like a powerful guy who had gotten his body through fighting and hard work. I had to be big and strong but not as defined, so I did heavier training.

In general, after I stopped competing, I started training faster. I would do six sets in a row without stopping. I did higher repetitions. I also do more cardiovascular training now to keep the heart in shape and burn off the fat because the metabolism slows down when you get older.

What is the worst lie ever told about you?
That in 1979 I shared a joint with President Obama.

Because he didn't inhale?
Because he didn't share! [Laughs]

What will set your new autobiography, Total Recall [out this October], apart from the other bios on you?
Readers will get the feeling of what it was like to grow up in Austria after the dreams of the Third Reich had been shattered.

To grow up in an environment where people felt like losers, and then to make it out of there and become the world champion of bodybuilding, making it in the movies when no one could pronounce my name, marrying a Kennedy, and becoming governor.

I'll take them through what working out in
Austria was like, and how I developed the
drive and the will and the fire in my belly.

[At this point, Arnold asked us a question.]

Arnold: What's the story with carb back-loading? My assistant was telling me about it, and I didn't understand it.
MF: It's a diet strategy created by nutritionist John Kiefer. The idea is to not eat carbs in the early part of the day, and then after you train, load up on carbs. Your muscles will absorb them better.

If you want to have more of a relaxed diet and eat more junk foods without gaining fat, time your carbs later in the day after your training.

Arnold: Franco [Columbu, Arnold's best friend and a fellow bodybuilder] and I, the week before competition, used to go to the House of Pies [in Santa Monica, CA], and eat pies at night. But we did not know what you just said. Instinctively, we just felt like we needed the pie.

Other bodybuilders would say, "You guys are crazy, it's going to smooth you out. You're going to f-k everything up with your diet and lose the competition." But after dieting, we couldn't even think straight. So we would go like an addicted couple and devour our pies just like animals.

They were usually cherry pies. We'd be so happy walking out of there, like we had our fix. But it was always at night, like eight or nine. Now, when you explain it, maybe that's the reason why it didn't have the bad effect that everybody was worried about.

Q And Arnold
The Governator fills in the blanks.

The strangest thing I've ever seen in a gym was …
A cigarette machine and a huge amount of beer mugs. It was the gym I managed in Munich. This was 45 years ago, and nobody talked about how smoking was bad for you.

My best bench press was …
520 pounds. I was 20 and weighed 245.

My worst movie was …

Hercules in New York. There's this political battle over water-boarding at places like Guantanamo Bay.

I think that [the interrogators] should just say, "Hey, if you guys don't talk, you'll have to see Hercules in New York."

I guarantee those guys would talk much faster with that treatment.

My legendary competitiveness …
Has toned down a little bit. When I was young, I wanted to be the king of the world. Today I would be happy with just being president.

The strangest request I ever got from a fan was …
To run away and get married. But he wasn't my type. He was a little too tall. [Laughs]

I regret …
Some of the movies I've made. On a personal level, I made mistakes that I regret. But my list of regrets is much shorter than the moments I enjoyed.

My big dream now is …
To live forever. But I doubt it.

The hardest thing in life is …
To have a vision. If you see yourself doing certain things, it's easier to work your way up that ladder because you know which ladder to climb. Once you know what you want to do, the how-to material is out there. I was lucky to be born as a person who always had a very clear vision.

America needs to …

Live within its means as a country. We shouldn't be spending a trillion more dollars a year than we take in. We ask ordinary people not to do that, so why is government doing it? We need to invest in our future and rebuild our infrastructure.

We also need green technology. We are destroying our environment with pollution. We need to power our cars without gas and create energy without coal.

I think we need to insure everybody. We have the greatest health-care system, but 48 million people aren't happy with it.

The hardest thing as governor was …
Going to the funerals of the fallen firefighters and cops. Meeting the young wives who had just started a family and meeting their 5-year-old children who would never see their dad again. I don't have tears in my eyes many times, but that does it.

My most satisfying accomplishments were …
The way that we brought the economy back in California before the recession and rebuilding the infrastructure. I also campaigned for stem cell research, and the people approved three billion dollars for it. We're No. 1 in the country for stem cell research.

Then the environmental progress that we made. We're 40% more energy efficient than the rest of the country. We passed historic legislation to reduce greenhouse gases by 25% by 2020.

Article here:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/arnold-forever.html?CJAID=10409943&CJPID=5546877

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
i heard that when he was a young up and coming bodybuilder living in Germany/Austria that he used to lure f@gs into the toliet stalls and then beat their asses and rob them, not sure if that's true or not

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
A whole lot of bullshit in that interview.
Trans Milkshake.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
 :o T-Bombz looks like a young Arnold here.
V

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
he surely didnt do that to the weiders

no, but i bet that he sure would have liked to

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek

;D ;D ;D

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
-I don't think he benched 520 lbs.....

-He regrets entering the 1980 Mr.O but he won't metion it....

-Btw,I hope he talks about the "London years" in his book....

WOOOSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Figo

• Getbig V

Big difference when he shaves

MB

• Getbig IV
My best bench press was …
520 pounds. I was 20 and weighed 245.

BS meter is pegged out here.  Ric Drasin has repeatedly emphasized his own 455 lb bench being more than Arnold's. 

POTA

When Arnold powerlifted, results from the competitions were posted in magazines. His best bench listed here is 440 lbs and his best deadlift is 683 lbs. Though, I'm certain he once pulled 710 at a competition, but it isn't listed here. (This was posted on the Iron Age forums)

1963 Olympic Lifting Competition (placing unknown, early 1963, Graz)
1964 Steirischer Jugendmeister/Styrian Youth Weightlifting Champion (1st, Autumn)
1965 Gewichtheber-Junioren-Meisterschaften der Steiermark
1965 Austrian Olympic Lifting Champion (1st, Heavyweight, Summer)
1966 Steirischen Kraftleistungs-Dreikampfmeisterschaften/Styrian
         Powerlifting Championships (4th, Spring, Graz)
1966 Internationale Meisterschaft Kraftdreikampf/International Powerlifting
         Champion (1st, 80+ kg, 30th Oct, Stuttgart)
1967 German Powerlifting Championships (2nd, 80+ kg, 2nd Apr, Munich)

1967 Graz Paradise Keller Lifting Championships (2nd, Dec)
1968 German Powerlifting Champion (1st, 80+ kg, 5th May, Munich)

(Contests in bold have been confirmed from original reports)

Notes

1963 Olympic lifting competition. In an interview with Peter McGough (M&F, July 1997, p. 60), Arnold told of competing in a competition at a beer hall in Graz in early 1963. This was apparently Arnold’s first contest. He lifted 165 lbs overhead, beating his previous best of 150 lbs. It is not clear whether this was a jerk or a press.
   On 4th March 2006 at the Arnold Classic weekend, Arnold was recorded by John Corlett as saying that, “In Austria in those days, in 1962, when I began lifting you were not allowed to go to the gymnasium and just to bodybuild ….. so we had to do Olympic lifting, and I became part of the team and we then competed going from one village to town to the next doing all the competitions. It was a wonderful experience at the age of 16,….and 17 and 18.”

1964 Steirischer Jugendmeister/Styrian youth weightlifting championships (Autumn). Albert Busek’s article on Arnold (Kraftsport revue Nr. 30, Jan 1967) states that Arnold was the Steirischer Jugendmeister in the Autumn of 1964. The winning weight is given as 280 kg (616 lbs). However, the English version of Busek’s article (H&S 30th March 1967) claims a total of 705 lbs. Neither article is clear about which lifts were included.

1965 Gewichtheber-Junioren-Meisterschaften der Steiermark. Der Muskelbilder (Nr. 33, Oct 1965) reported that Arnold won the Gewichtheber-Junioren-Meisterschaften der Steiermark. No other details were given.
   A photo of Arnold bench pressing appeared in the German language biography Arnold-Hautnah. It appears to have been taken at the same event as the unidentified photos of a bodybuilding competition that are tentatively listed as the 1965 Mr. Styria held in Spring 1965. Arnold seems to be bench pressing at least 250 lbs. Arnold was wearing the Graz weightlifting team suit. Was this the Gewichtheber-Junioren-Meisterschaften der Steiermark or a different contest?

1965 Austrian Olympic lifting championships (Summer). Arnold also states in ‘Education of a Bodybuilder’ that before he was 18 he had won the heavyweight division of the Austrian Olympic lifting championships. Busek also wrote (Kraftsport revue Nr. 30; H&S 30th March 1967) that by the summer of 1965, Arnold ‘occupied an undisputed first place in the list of Austrian weightlifters’. The impression given in ‘Education of a Bodybuilder’ was that this was Arnold’s last Olympic lifting competition.
   The H&S article reported best lifts of, Press 264 lbs, Snatch 243 lbs and C&J 298 lbs. There was no suggestion that these were the lifts from the 1965 Austrian contest.

1966 Steirischen Kraftleistungs-Dreikampfmeisterschaften/Styrian Strength-Powerlifting championships (Spring). The results were published in Der Muskelbilder (Nr. 37, p. 11-12). No date was given but it was reported that Arnold won the 1965 Jr. Europe half a year ago. Arnold came 4th and bench pressed 140 kg, squatted 150 kg and curled 100 kg. Helmut Cerncic won, Ernst Theiner was 2nd and Fritz Tatscher 3rd.

1966 Internationale Meisterschaft Kraftdreikampf/International powerlifting championships (30th October). Results appeared in Kraftsport revue (Nr. 30, p. 36-37). Arnold won, Michelik Stanko was 2nd and Leo Pelekies 3rd. Arnold’s lifts were, Deadlift 250 kg, Bench 165 kg and Squat 170 kg. The original contest report gave the total as 585kg, Busek’s H&S article reported 1290 lbs.

1967 German powerlifting championships (2nd April). Results appeared in Kraftsport revue Nr. 34 (p. 34-35). Arnold came 2nd to Georg Schipper, Klaus Schumann was 3rd. Arnold’s lifts were, Bench 170 kg (374 lbs), Squat 200 kg (440 lbs), Deadlift 280 kg (616 lbs). A photo of Arnold deadlifting at this event was published in FLEX (May 2005) but incorrectly dated as 1966. I have the results for the 1966 competition. Arnold did not compete, although he was one of the guest posers.

1967 Graz Paradise Keller lifting Championships (December). Wendy Leigh reported that Arnold lost to Helmut Cerncic. Apparently, Kurt Marnul, Karl Kainrath and Adolf Ziegner also competed.

1968 German powerlifting championships (5th May). The results was given in Kraftsport revue (Nr. 46). Arnold’s numbers were squat 215 kg, bench 200 kg and deadlift 310 kg.
   The impression given in ‘Education of a Bodybuilder’ was that this was Arnold’s last powerlifting competition.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
That 520lb bench might have looked something like his 275lb barbell "curl"

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
King Zane was able to out squat arnold

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
  Icon

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Damn I'm not reading all that summary please.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
Damn I'm not reading all that summary please.

I regret
Some of the movies I've made. On a personal level, I made mistakes that I regret. But my list of regrets is much shorter than the moments I enjoyed.

My big dream now is …
To live forever. But I doubt it.

kimo

• Getbig III
arnold was a good bench presser had the chest to prove it . .  how much could he press overhead .

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
FUCK HIM

When it comes to healthcare reform, we need to give incentives for living healthy. Exercising every day and not smoking should reduce your healthcare costs.

So why didn't he fucking do this while he was governor of Cali?