Author Topic: mr.america says.......  (Read 14107 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
mr.america says.......
« on: September 25, 2012, 05:48:24 AM »
bob gajda aau mr america said about joe weider,"joe was the only new jersey jew that read goebbels.he did. and he said "tell the lie over and over and people will believe it as the truth."   :o :o :o :o :o
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: mr.america says.......
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 06:13:42 AM »
just like when gajda said he beat ah-nuld. ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 06:14:21 AM »
but he actually did beat sergio o and dennis t.
F

terrystrand

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 04:26:04 AM »
Taken last Wednesday: A snapshot of the usual suspects with AAU Mr. America/USA/Universe winner Bob Gajda...out for his seventy second birthday greasy lunch....me with the coffee cup. Also, AAU Most Muscular Mr. A winner and multi time World Bench Record holder Bill Seno [I spotted for his first one in 1967] with a hand on my shoulder, and flanking Bob are Chicago iconic iron mavens Freddie Schutz and Al Jakich. Seno benched 570 officially as a 242 pounder...RAW in a t-shirt and gym shorts, no Monolift. The record stood for twenty four years and was only broken by two pounds...by a guy in an effin' strait-jacket bench suit which adds about a hundred and fifty pounds to your lift.

As for Gajda, he is IMO among the most intelligent BB champs alive. I trained at the Duncan Y back in the day, was at Bob's '64 Mr. A contest here in Chicago when Seno beat Sergio.

terrystrand

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 05:27:26 AM »
Arnie and Gajda at the sixty six Mr. U. which Gajda won. Arnold came to compete, and the usual politics between BB federations finally prevented Arnold from entering. Bob was not sure what was happening since everyone was arguing in German.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 05:34:46 AM »
What Mr Universe contest was that?

Draper won the IFBB, Yorton won the nabba and wynter won the nabba pro all is 66.

Was there another universe in 66?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 05:41:16 AM »
Bob Gadja was a very interesting bodybuilder who also popularized the PHA Training system ( peripheral heart action)

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 05:45:20 AM »
Awesome pix. Only 9 posts. Stick around terry n let the insults n back talk roll off your back. Keep posting vintage pix cuz most of us really do love bb n it's history!  Thx!

MikMaq

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 05:57:12 AM »
Awesome pix. Only 9 posts. Stick around terry n let the insults n back talk roll off your back. Keep posting vintage pix cuz most of us really do love bb n it's history!  Thx!
Has anyone ever told you, that your requiring a being told.

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 06:26:13 AM »
i thought joe weider was canadian.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 08:21:59 PM »
Has anyone ever told you, that your requiring a being told.
dont even know wut the fuck that means. Then again I don't speak ratard.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 09:50:52 PM »
but he actually did beat sergio o and dennis t.
Yip he did he Beat a very GREEN Sergio....after 67-68 Forget it in a Neutral based Comp without all the AAU/ Hoffmans Racist Bais he would of made Gajda look like a Child.

terrystrand

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 04:47:30 AM »

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 07:17:45 AM »
Nice video Terry, Bob and the rest have a good friend in you.
Cool that you all still hang out together like that. I would have expected to see a few stogies and shots of Jack D on the table but I guess the older generation is pussified as the rest of us. ;D

Hope Sergio is ok.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 07:20:52 AM »
yeah Terry was one of the good guys on Iron Age....but Getbig is more fun Terry ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 09:32:53 AM »
Nice stuff. Wonder any film of one of Gajda workout? Read they were non stop marathon affairs, using any and every piece of equipment in the gym. Gajda still train?

I've used the PHA system in the past.Got the information from some very old IronMan magazines a older guy loaned me. Very effective, with outstanding stamina benefits. Think it would be a good way to train for endurance and strength.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 09:38:27 AM »
Nice stuff. Wonder any film of one of Gajda workout? Read they were non stop marathon affairs, using any and every piece of equipment in the gym. Gajda still train?

I've used the PHA system in the past.Got the information from some very old IronMan magazines a older guy loaned me. Very effective, with outstanding stamina benefits. Think it would be a good way to train for endurance and strength.
anyway you can scan them jpm ?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 11:21:37 AM »
Donny:  if you mean the old IronMan magazines, no because that was over 20 years ago when I was 18 or 19. A old BB'er friend of my uncles loaned them to me, way back when. Last I heard he was living in Santa Monica or Culver City.

Sure if you did a Bing or Google you could find more information about the Gajda way of doing the PHA.  It's something that may take a little study at first, because the concept is nothing like a regular BB'ing workout.

Just a guess, but might try finding an E-mail address of Bob Gajda or the Duncan YMCA in Chicago. Might have some books on the subject. Even the present IronMan mag.   PHA would fall under circuit training and circuit training is used quite a bit among trainers. Including sports,rehab or private party's. Good Luck. 
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 12:00:51 PM »
yes i have done circuit training before and seen an article about Bob Gadja and his PHA training but it was very short...  :(

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 05:34:57 AM »
bob gajda aau mr america said about joe weider,"joe was the only new jersey jew that read goebbels.he did. and he said "tell the lie over and over and people will believe it as the truth."   :o :o :o :o :o

sounds like keynesian economists or democrats

isn't this bob paris?

terrystrand

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 05:39:29 AM »
Yip he did he Beat a very GREEN Sergio....after 67-68 Forget it in a Neutral based Comp without all the AAU/ Hoffmans Racist Bais he would of made Gajda look like a Child.

Just IMHO: As we all know, the AAU Mr. A judges wanted a Mr. America who was 'American', who could speak the English, who was a citizen, etc. So Sergio was out on that basis. Almost like the Miss America contest where a woman needed to be 'American'. Right or Wrong or Stupid, that was the expectation almost half a century ago in 1966. Oliva couldn't even travel in some cases to the contests overseas since he was not a citizen. Was the AAU racist? Could be. But Hoffman never was, and he insisted that black heavyweight Oly lifter John Davis be housed with his white Olympic lifting team as far back as the fifties.

Weider only put Sergio on the cover of maybe 2 or 3 of his magazines out of the 72 issues [36 Muscle Builders plus 36 Mr. Americas] that were on the newsstands during the entire 3 years that Oliva was Mr. O. White guys and hot skinny girls were the name of the game back then. They sold more magazines for Joe. And that's all the Weider Bros cared about as businessmen.

Mr. Americas Vern Weaver, Jerry Daniels, Val Vasilief and 1959 Mr. A., Harry Johnson, were smooth as hell. But most of them were in the early sixties. Harry Johnson didn't even look as if he worked out, but he was a Southerner and that year the South had some political clout, and the same can be said for Southerner Daniels, who was basically a football player who lifted.

Looking at the photo below of Gadja v. Oliva, Bob Gajda looks great, just as big as Sergio. That was at the June '66 Mr. A which Bob won while Sergio took the Most Muscular. Here's the key to unlocking that mystery: Sergio was not as mind-bending as he would be six months later when he joined Weider and took his first Olympia. And Bob was cut as hell even with no tan and in outdoor lighting as seen in the February '66 S&H. In 1967 through 1972 we watched at the Duncan Y as Sergio grew and grew while working long shifts smashing iron in the scrap yard....during which time Arnie was sunning himself with a Weider contract in Cal. I don't think there are a lot of guys who feel Arnold really beat the Oak for the '72 Mr. O. The Wayne Gallasch photos taken two days after the contest were freaky from another planet.

For the strength fans among us, we knew that Sergio could warm up with the poundages that Arnold maxed out with. It was Chicago iron verses California pump.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 01:02:19 PM »
sounds like keynesian economists or democrats

isn't this bob paris?
no but i see the resemblance.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 01:04:14 PM »
What Mr Universe contest was that?

Draper won the IFBB, Yorton won the nabba and wynter won the nabba pro all is 66.

Was there another universe in 66?
maybe the FICH  mister world contest?
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 01:05:55 PM »
maybe the FICH  mister world contest?
just checked musclememory.com it was actually called the FICH world universe contest.
F

terrystrand

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 01:06:57 PM »
maybe the FICH  mister world contest?

Bob won the 1966 FIHC Mr. Universe Contest in Berlin. You might call it sort of an "AAU Mr. Universe". See my post of the contest in Reply #4 above. That is not a composite or Photoshopped picture. It shows Gajda posing backstage with Arnold. Arnold was not allowed to compete officially because of some kind of BB BS, so he guest posed.