Author Topic: Obama Admn: "Increased attacks in Afgh are due to taliban desperation" LOL!!!!!  (Read 716 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
WASHINGTON -- Michele Flournoy, a former top Pentagon official and current foreign policy adviser to President Barack Obama's campaign, said Tuesday that insider attacks by Afghan troops against their American partners are a "very occasional" problem and a sign of "Taliban desperation."

"It's very tragic and it's very upsetting when these things happen," said Flournoy, the undersecretary of defense for policy from 2009 to 2012, who was speaking at a small gathering at the centrist Democratic think tank Third Way. "But they are a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of a percentage of the overall interactions that are happening."

Insider attacks, also described as green-on-blue, have spiked this year in Afghanistan, resulting so far in 51 deaths among soldiers from the U.S. and other NATO allies. The problem has grown so great in recent months that American commanders decided to halt the training program for some Afghan police units and cease all joint patrols, while they rescreen recruits and consider their options.

One of those options, raised in an essay on Foreign Policy Wednesday by a former top commander of U.S. troops in Afghanistan, would be to scuttle the exit plan as scripted and significantly expedite the handover of responsibility to the Afghans.

"If popular tolerance for battlefield deaths was tenuous, there is near zero patience with attacks from the very Afghan forces the allies have been working with over the last eleven years," wrote David Barno, a retired general who is now a senior fellow at the nonpartisan Center for a New American Security.

"The strategic logic of this costly effort in a world where U.S. military power is stretched thin is painfully elusive. It is time to put President [Hamid] Karzai and his troops in the lead and more rapidly draw down U.S. military forces to a sustainable, modest level of support," Barno concluded.

In response to a Huffington Post question at the Tuesday event, Flournoy argued that "these very occasional green-on-blue violent incidents" are not, in fact, an indication of the strategy faltering, but are instead "a sign of, I believe, Taliban desperation."

"The fact is in the last several fighting seasons, since the surge, the Taliban has not been able to regain territory and hold it," she said. "They have been losing influence. This is a change of tactic, it's an asymmetric tactic, to try to break the will of the coalition."

Flournoy also suggested that in the majority of cases, the insider attacks had nothing to do with Taliban infiltration and were instead linked to disgruntlement and "folks with PTSD."

Last week, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta acknowledged that insider attacks are a cause for concern, but, like Flournoy, said they're a sign of the Taliban's shifting tactics, not growing stronger.

Unfucking real how they lie!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
US Afghanistan casualties (KIA) under GWBush (2001-2008) = 1049

US Afghanistan casualties (KIA) under Obama (2009-present) = 2141

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com

we had a surge in afghanistan on obama's watch.

I'm pretty sure if you showed the iraq numbers (with the surge on bush's watch) it'd be inversed.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
On Laura Ingraham's nationally syndicated radio program today, the father of fallen U.S. Marine Greg Buckley Jr., who was killed by an Afghani soldier in an insider attack, spoke out against President Obama and the situation in Afghanistan.

Greg Buckley, Sr.'s son Greg, Jr., died on August 10, when an Afghan Police officer fired multiple AK-47 rounds into his chest as he worked out on an exercise bench at a Marine base in Afghanistan.

"He wrote [his mom and me] basically a goodbye letter at the age of twenty. He knew in his heart and soul that he was not going to be able to come home. For a 20-year-old boy at the time to know this, how could our own government not know this?" Buckley asked.

"I need justice for my son's death," the man said.

"There was no warmth to it, there was no comfort to it… it’s just heart-wrenching that this man would drop the ball on my son, because my son should have been protected when he was there," Buckley said about a form letter he received from President Obama.

"I want justice. I want justice for my son and for these other young men and for these boys and girls to come home immediately," Buckley said.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244

When one starts bribing combatants in Iraq in order to maintain a relative calm,
all the AlQueda terrorists in Iraq were free to travel to Afghanistan, and really pound the crap out of troops there.

...besides, double crossing your partners by assassinating their leaders in drone attacks has a tendency to piss them off.
w

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
COIN doesn't work here...we have far to few troops...the ROE is far to restrictive and Obama was not all in like the Surge in Iraq. Its time to leave. Our guys do pointless dismounted patrols...get blown up or killed for no reason. Its time to go.
L