Author Topic: Another Old Fart coming out wishing he never stepped foot on the Grid Iron  (Read 7034 times)

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
after he dropped all the money, and nobody is left to cheer for him, now he was to denounce the sport that gave him everything

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/super-bowl-winning-quarterback-jim-mcmahon-says-wishes-192055029--nfl.html

In my family, the members of the 1985 Super Bowl-winning Chicago Bears team ranked just slightly behind the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost. In fact, as a 6-year-old I was taught the "Super Bowl Shuffle" by a Franciscan nun, so that ranking could be muddled at times. Walter Payton was at the top of the list, but I couldn't help but be crazy about the rebellious, mouthy, "Punky QB known as McMahon."

The way he would play football made me misunderstand the quarterback's role as a child. Aren't all quarterbacks supposed to jump over the top of the pile? Don't they all take punishing hits then pop back up for more? Why would a quarterback slide for a first down when he could get an extra half-yard by taking the big hit?

During his career with the Bears, Philadelphia Eagles and other teams, McMahon never started a full season. His tough and sometimes reckless style of play meant he suffered many, many injuries. Now, 16 years after he retired, he is experiencing an injury that can't be fixed by a surgery or therapy.

At 53, McMahon is in the early stages of dementia. He is part of the group suing the NFL that says they hid the effects of concussions. Though his career resulted in a Super Bowl ring and a Pro Bowl appearance, he still says he would have played baseball if he knew what concussions would do to him.

"Being injured, if you don't play, you don't get paid. If I was able to walk out on that field, I was gonna play," he said in an interview with Chicago's WFLD-TV at his Arizona home. "Had I known about that stuff early on in my career, I probably would have chosen a different career. I always wanted to be a baseball player anyway."

McMahon played football while at Brigham Young University, but said he would have stuck with baseball had he received a scholarship for that sport.

He is a group of more than 2,000 players who need help from the NFL after concussions have filled their retirement with dementia, memory loss, and in some cases, a bitter end. McMahon's teammate, Dave Duerson, committed suicide and asked for his brain to be studied. He was found to have chronic traumatic encephalopathy, the same disease found in other players who have died under tragic circumstances.

The NFL has made strides in improving how concussions and head injuries are treated. Though problems still exist, like Colt McCoy being sent back in the game last season when he was not healthy, the culture around head traumas is changing.

But the retired players who sacrificed their bodies to create the exciting game we all know and love today should not be forgotten. When one of them says he wishes he didn't even play the game that won him fame, it's a cry for help that should not go unheeded.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Wow, what an idiot.

"I didn't know repeated blows to the head could cause brain damage, you better give me money!" Herp derp.

SLYY

• Getbig IV
  • A mug only your mom could love...
Wow, what an idiot.

"I didn't know repeated blows to the head could cause brain damage, you better give me money!" Herp derp.

That is not what the issue is about.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
  Set Foot

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
That is not what the issue is about.
Whats it about then? It's common fucking sense, thats a risk you take anytime you set foot into any contact sport. You don't see Ali suing the Boxing federations for his condition.

MB

• Getbig IV
Go back to leather helmets.  That would eliminate defenders launching with their head instead of tackling.  

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
we all break down as we go through life some are better at finding coping mechanisms, he doesnt seem like one of them

some people just give up, blame others, blame god

its up to the individual to do what he can to solve whatever ails him.

maybe one day ill be in a position like his with lung cancer from breathing in too much dust and paint fumes in the work area, but im not gonna blame the world if im dieing, ill probably just eat more vegetables and carrot juice and not be such a pussy putting the blame on others
A

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
I care about people who work real jobs not these rich spoiled athletes.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
A similar logic can be used when it comes to pro bodybuilding.
I knew what it took to get to the next level when I competed in my prime.
I dabbled in moderate amounts of juice but said "F it" after 3 yrs.
I loved bodybuilding but I refused to use the amount of drugs it might take .

Unlike football's  McMahn or bodybuilder Jay Cutler, I didn't think I was gifted enough to be a pro anyway.
For me it was a "no brainer" to give up on the pro BB goal path.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
I care about people who work real jobs not these rich spoiled athletes.

x2

i agree but we also gotta act better than them to teach them by showing these dumb spoiled athletes some compassion as in an email telling him to read Jeahn fehlcan's dietary advices posts on getbig to avoid dementia and cancer
A

SLYY

• Getbig IV
Re: Another Old Fart coming out wishing he never stepped foot on the Grid Iron
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 04:55:03 PM »
Whats it about then? It's common fucking sense, thats a risk you take anytime you set foot into any contact sport. You don't see Ali suing the Boxing federations for his condition.

The issue has to do with the NFL's knowledge of concussions during the years McMahon played and earlier.  It is alleged that the NFL knew that when a player gets a concussion, they should be taken out of the game and rest of x amount of days.  While the NFL was armed with this knowledge, they allegedly told the trainers and doctors to give the players immediately clearance to continue playing.  It is alleged that the NFL did this to keep players playing and therefore, to make more money.  Many of the players from 20+ years ago are suffering from dementia and the like because they didn't get the requisite time off after suffering concussions.  Again, it's being alleged that the NFL knew this would be the result and not only withheld the information from the players, but also told the trainers and doctors to give the players clearance.  How can this be proven?  I don't know, we will have to stay tuned.

Regarding the idea that getting a concussion and continuing to play football is common sense, look at high school, college, and the NFL's serious rule change regarding concussions.  If a player gets a concussion nowadays, they don't go near the field.  This story was all over the news a few years back because IT WAS NEWS.  Prior to a few years ago, players would get a concussion and continue because they were manly....or in the NFL's case...because the doctors cleared them when they shouldn't have done so.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 04:59:22 PM »
The issue has to do with the NFL's knowledge of concussions during the years McMahon played and earlier.  It is alleged that the NFL knew that when a player gets a concussion, they should be taken out of the game and rest of x amount of days.  While the NFL was armed with this knowledge, they allegedly told the trainers and doctors to give the players immediately clearance to continue playing.  It is alleged that the NFL did this to keep players playing and therefore, to make more money.  Many of the players from 20+ years ago are suffering from dementia and the like because they didn't get the requisite time off after suffering concussions.  Again, it's being alleged that the NFL knew this would be the result and not only withheld the information from the players, but also told the trainers and doctors to give the players clearance.  How can this be proven?  I don't know, we will have to stay tuned.

Regarding the idea that getting a concussion and continuing to play football is common sense, look at high school, college, and the NFL's serious rule change regarding concussions.  If a player gets a concussion nowadays, they don't go near the field.  This story was all over the news a few years back because IT WAS NEWS.  Prior to a few years ago, players would get a concussion and continue because they were manly....or in the NFL's case...because the doctors cleared them when they shouldn't have done so.
It seems to me that if you have a concussion, its a personal choice to go back onto the football field, and no one is responsible for a personal decision other than the person themselves. I understand what you're saying though.

If the docs LIED to them and said they'd be fine (without knowing better), thats one thing. But how many stories have we heard about players begging docs to let them go back out and play, even though they may not be 100% healed?

SLYY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 05:06:04 PM »
It seems to me that if you have a concussion, its a personal choice to go back onto the football field, and no one is responsible for a personal decision other than the person themselves. I understand what you're saying though.

If the docs LIED to them and said they'd be fine (without knowing better), thats one thing. But how many stories have we heard about players begging docs to let them go back out and play, even though they may not be 100% healed?

I'm sure many players wanted to get back in and play no matter what the doctor said.  The issue here is whether the NFL should have disallowed that, at least with regard to concussions.  The answer will not only be based on whether the allegations against the NFL are true, but whether they can be proven.

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 05:08:52 PM »
NFL is a very careless and dangerous sport with world class athletes

i barely watch NFL so i watched a game last week and i couldnt believe

the dangerous tackles happening, no technique in tackling what so ever with too many head clashes

put these athletes in rugby league and you would have the greatest football team ever lol

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »
Or. . . ."I am broke because I was an idiot, listen to my sob story".
a

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 05:17:30 PM »
It's not up to ourselves to take care of ourselves.  It's up to others to keep us safe. 
Y

SLYY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 05:22:06 PM »
It's not up to ourselves to take care of ourselves.  It's up to others to keep us safe.  

Let's get rid of the police and military.  Hey Doison, maybe we can start a getbig militia?

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 05:54:53 PM »
Daaaaaaaaamn!!!! Punt returner from the Cleveland browns just died on the field !!!!
Lights out!

Hope dude gets up

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 05:55:50 PM »
Daaaaaaaaamn!!!! Punt returner from the Cleveland browns just died on the field !!!!
Lights out!

Hope dude gets up

yea

and got spiked in the face with his helmet off  :-\ :-\

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »
I don't understand these sports guys.  Save your money and fuck the bitches.  The bitches will fuck you for FREE.   Don't use heavy narcotics and buy shit you can't afford.  It works for the rest of us and it will work for you too.
A

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »
Lights out!

Hope dude gets up
Is he ok?

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 06:39:38 PM »
Go back to leather helmets.  That would eliminate defenders launching with their head instead of tackling.  
THis, maybe they will start tackling correctly.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 06:44:59 PM »
What's his family history with dementia?  before he gets to suing, he should look into that.  A lot of people have early onset dementia...but they never had the chance to be rich and famous. he should just be appreciative and keep quiet.  88 and 89 49ers were better than 86 bears, too.

SLYY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »
What's his family history with dementia?  before he gets to suing, he should look into that.  A lot of people have early onset dementia...but they never had the chance to be rich and famous. he should just be appreciative and keep quiet.  88 and 89 49ers were better than 86 bears, too.

More than 2,000 former NFL players are suing due to the NFL allegedly withholding information regarding the link between concussions and long-term brain injuries.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 07:35:51 PM »
imagine how many dementia cases mma will have in a few years.

some of the oldschool already has