Author Topic: Mr Olympia and the WTF!! Factor  (Read 1950 times)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Mr Olympia and the WTF!! Factor
« on: September 29, 2012, 04:15:10 PM »
Nothing against Phil or Kai and the rest but I miss watching this show and going WTF!!!!!!!!!!! I mean is there anyone in this line up that actually made you think they weren't human and were awed by the amount of mass and density they are carrying? No one really stands out or excites me (no homo).  :( I remember watching Yates and thinking damn no one will ever catch him then Ronnie comes along and he looked like an alien human hybrid. Oh well, I guess it had to end somewhere.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Re: Mr Olympia and the WTF!! Factor
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »
This is the best top two in a long time.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 04:19:39 PM »

Which is sad. Hell Lionel Beyeke dwarfs both Kai and Phil as far as size goes. Look at Lionel next to Kai when Kai won the (I think) NY Pro. If Lionel came in with Phil's conditioning and 10 pounds more muscle he would own that stage.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 04:19:59 PM »

Yes, best top two in a long time, but neither phil or kai has that WOW factor. All around good bodybuilders for their time, but you are not blown away (no pun intended) by their physiques either.
X

erics

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 04:23:28 PM »
Why do they need to have a wow factor?

They only have to compete and win (or lose).

You're all getting sucked in by Superman's S.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 04:29:48 PM »
Why do they need to have a wow factor?

They only have to compete and win (or lose).

You're all getting sucked in by Superman's S.

Obviously all they have to do is compete and win, but that is not the point. People like to see extreme things. Similar in baseball. You dont need to hit homeruns to win a baseball game, but people love to see a ball being smashed into another galaxy, ya know. Same with bodybuilding. People like competitors who just dominate, like ronnie coleman.

People like EXTREME things. Its pretty straightforward.
X

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »
If Lionel came in with Phil's conditioning and 10 pounds more muscle he would own that stage.

I agree

-If my uncle had tits, he'd be my aunt
 -If my grandma had wheels, she'd be a streetcar

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 04:35:01 PM »
I agree

Smartass!  ;D  Upping the dose and dieting harder is more likely to happen than your Uncle growing tits. Then again may not.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 04:35:10 PM »
I agree

LMFAO!

good shit

erics

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 04:37:44 PM »
Obviously all they have to do is compete and win, but that is not the point. People like to see extreme things. Similar in baseball. You dont need to hit homeruns to win a baseball game, but people love to see a ball being smashed into another galaxy, ya know. Same with bodybuilding. People like competitors who just dominate, like ronnie coleman.

People like EXTREME things. Its pretty straightforward.

I get you. I just don't completely agree with it.

Zane had extreme balance and presentation. Bannout had extreme proportions. Dickerson had extreme presentation.

It all depends on what you think is valuable.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »
I get you. I just don't completely agree with it.

Zane had extreme balance and presentation. Bannout had extreme proportions. Dickerson had extreme presentation.

It all depends on what you think is valuable.

Of course, and that is why ronnie was so dominant. Because he had size, vascularity, and pretty damn good aeshetics for someone his size. Good proportions and presented well. I am not saying he was the most aesthetic or the best proportions, but when you put it all together, he pulled it off quite nicely.
X

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 05:09:30 PM »
this IS the best top 2 in a long time to be fair.

sure the entire lineup is shit and boring compared to the hey days but you have two guys who actually has some shape and cuts to them. neither is off... pretty small waists, they are not in their third trimester at least.

the trend has certainly shifted a little from sheer size to shape which is allright

NYSTATEOFMIND

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigs Reporter of perverse news
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 05:34:04 PM »
Which is sad. Hell Lionel Beyeke dwarfs both Kai and Phil as far as size goes. Look at Lionel next to Kai when Kai won the (I think) NY Pro. If Lionel came in with Phil's conditioning and 10 pounds more muscle he would own that stage.

like the saying goes

If my grandmother had a penis, she would be my grandfather  ;D
getbig or getgot

erics

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 05:36:43 PM »
Of course, and that is why ronnie was so dominant. Because he had size, vascularity, and pretty damn good aeshetics for someone his size. Good proportions and presented well. I am not saying he was the most aesthetic or the best proportions, but when you put it all together, he pulled it off quite nicely.

In his first few years, yes, I would agree with you.

After that, they should have awarded it to someone who wasn't screwing up his physique with each passing year.

The standards that the industry have become used to are pretty low.

If a physique is getting worse, you shouldn't have to be badgered into believing that it is still somehow 'better' than another guy's.

Papper

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 05:49:22 PM »
In his first few years, yes, I would agree with you.

After that, they should have awarded it to someone who wasn't screwing up his physique with each passing year.

The standards that the industry have become used to are pretty low.

If a physique is getting worse, you shouldn't have to be badgered into believing that it is still somehow 'better' than another guy's.

Totally agree. You shouldn't have to totally outclass Mr O to win, now you have all these guys getting screwed because "you have to knock out the champ".  ::) Why isn't it enough to win by score ???

And a retiring Mr Olympia always gets gifts and pity placings screwing more guys out of placings.

The commentary last night was a prime example of this mentality. They already had phil winning before they saw him basically. Imagine if they ever get to be judges in the future. You think they would let anyone beside Phil win tonight? Even if he is noticably worse? Not a chance.

And these judges, I bet, are pretty much the same people each year and reinforces this notion too. But I don't really know because you never see these judges.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 05:49:52 PM »

You're delusion with your kai worship.  He is shaped like a potato and its only going to get worse.  He a stub of a man with a short torso and his midsection is only going to expand as he adds mass.
A

erics

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 05:59:06 PM »
Totally agree. You shouldn't have to totally outclass Mr O to win, now you have all these guys getting screwed because "you have to knock out the champ". And a retiring Mr Olympia always gets gifts and pity placings screwing more guys out of placings.

The commentary last night was a prime example of this mentality. They already had phil winning before they saw him basically. Imagine if they ever get to be judges in the future. You think they would let anyone beside Phil win tonight? Even if he is noticably worse? Not a chance.

I don't mind so much the idea that you have to knock out the champ. I just think that there are a whole lot of things you can knock the champ out with - balance, conditioning, separation, presentation, lines, mass, etc.

The commentary was shameful. Not a single commentator ever says anything of any value. They just throw out words to fill up space.

Papper

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 06:04:30 PM »
I don't mind so much the idea that you have to knock out the champ. I just think that there are a whole lot of things you can knock the champ out with - balance, conditioning, separation, presentation, lines, mass, etc.

The commentary was shameful. Not a single commentator ever says anything of any value. They just throw out words to fill up space.
i

If it's 50/50 I can buy that the default could be the champ.
But if one is better he should win, even if it's by 0,1 percent, or else I don't see the logic.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 06:12:45 PM »
Why is everyone glossing over the undeniable fact that Kai Greene has a HUGE FUCKING COCK!

erics

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 06:13:30 PM »
If it's 50/50 I can buy that the default could be the champ.
But if one is better he should win, even if it's by 0,1 percent, or else I don't see the logic.

Oh, I agree totally.

That's why I mentioned that there are many ways of striking a knockout blow.

Why shouldn't, for example, Dexter defeat Ronnie IF the only thing Ronnie has over Dexter is size?

If they are worried about some nobody winning the Olympia, well, so? If you deserve to win, you deserve to win.

They should limit the Olympia to a MAXIMUM of 15.

That might help.

efirkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 06:16:09 PM »
I agree.  They all look the same to me.  I have a hard time picking one over another.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »
If only they had access to some crazy mass building orange drink used by Kings  ;)