Author Topic: ....  (Read 2806 times)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« on: October 03, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
my friend got a job that requires college degree, he stopped school at 14 years old

they hired him because his experience was relevant

can one hope for this or is it a one in a million fluke

I got a job selling car parts for a dealership when I was 17 without having graduated high school yet.

I definitely wasn't qualified.

You actually probably don't really need any formal accreditation to make it in life.  You just have to be half way street smart. 

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
my friend got a job that requires college degree, he stopped school at 14 years old

Not at all.

Companies are getting cheap and lowering the bar. They probably hired him because he has the personality type they feel they will be able to mold into what they want.

That and the biggest factor: Cheap labor.

Mattyh7688

• Getbig IV
Not at all.

Companies are getting cheap and lowering the bar. They probably hired him because he has the personality type they feel they will be able to mold into what they want.

That and the biggest factor: Cheap labor.
pretty much.. A recruiter actually told me they avoid people with too much experience or education because they expect to be paid more.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
how do i get street smart half way?

my friend got it from being a dealer as a teenager rolling with thugs 10-15 years his senior

I guess you're born with (or without) "street smart".  "Book smart" on the other hand can be gained.  

Having Fun Isn't Hard, When You've Got A LIBRARY CARD!  8)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15

I'm one of those extreme cases in which almost everyone I know has achieved success in private business or corporate America with no formal education.  My best friend is a brilliant guy and very skilled in the field of IT, but has no college education and is an IT Manager probably earning more than me.  My brother in law is a VP of his father's company and have no college (yes, I know family ties).  One of my wife's friends is a manager of a salon her mother purchased (again family ties).  Within the company I work for we have plenty of Managers and Directors with no college whatsoever.  I know folks in positions lateral to mine with no college, but a bunch of experience.  

A college degree is great to have, but as a long as a person without college is a good problem solver, critical thinker, can learn things quickly and has a good amount of experience in a particular industry they can have a solid career earning a good income like their degreed counterparts.  

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
I'm one of those extreme cases in which almost everyone I know has achieved success in private business or corporate America with no formal education.  My best friend is a brilliant guy and very skilled in the field of IT, but has no college education and is an IT Manager probably earning more than me.  My brother in law is a VP of his father's company and have no college (yes, I know family ties).  One of my wife's friends is a manager of a salon her mother purchased (again family ties).  Within the company I work for we have plenty of Managers and Directors with no college whatsoever.  I know folks in positions lateral to mine with no college, but a bunch of experience.  

A college degree is great to have, but as a long as a person without college is a good problem solver, critical thinker, can learn things quickly and has a good amount of experience in a particular industry they can have a solid career earning a good income like their degreed counterparts.  

You get part of the equation from college, but if you don't have that foundation you're fucked anyway.

Two of my cousins, one has a Bachelors and one a Masters degree.  One still works at the front desk of Enterprise Car Rental and the other works at H&R Block.  :-X

Natural Man

• Getbig V
we ve been raised to be fully dependant of the system..study, work, get money, buy, be happy. Problem is, how do we adapt, when the system crashes?  If you dont own anything and cant grow /hunt your own food, you quickly see the limitations of the "system". You have no more shelter nor food and you have to rely on those who have.

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
I had a KICK ass job as a Case Manager with the City of Cleveland and I didnt have a degree. I have some college, but didnt finish

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
I had a KICK ass job as a Case Manager with the City of Cleveland and I didnt have a degree. I have some college, but didnt finish

Did you go raw (no condom, no pulling out) with any girls whose cases you managed? 

POB

• Getbig IV
Did you go raw (no condom, no pulling out) with any girls whose cases you managed? 

Lol, great question :D

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!

NO, but i did have one girl "invite" me to her job where she was stripping! I used better judgement and DIDNT go. But she was bad. Only 19 at the time, 2 kids and a big ass. She was latina.

As a matter of fact, when there was a female in my office I always kept the door open

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

I have been the village idiot for years in my town.
Was honest on my resume and they said I was the perfect canidate for the position.

Pecsellent

• Getbig II
we ve been raised to be fully dependant of the system..study, work, get money, buy, be happy. Problem is, how do we adapt, when the system crashes?  If you dont own anything and cant grow /hunt your own food, you quickly see the limitations of the "system". You have no more shelter nor food and you have to rely on those who have.

Then the cleansing begins that the world so longs for.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing

You can make it happen. The only things you need are skill and a way in. Skill you either have or not. A way in you can create, just by working yourself up. The only thing a degree does, is let you start a bit higher on the ladder. And the older I get, the less I believe that's an advantage.

Full disclosure: haven't finished any formal education, yet am director QA for an multinational as of recently.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Real life experience can often be better or outweigh college/university experience.

Someone who has worked in a small supermarket from 16-25 in many roles etc may be better qualified to manage one than a 25 year old who never worked in that environment but has a degree in management.

This will not always be the case and whatever level you get in the cream will always rise to the top, just might take a bit longer.

Yev33

• Getbig III
Depends on who is interviewing you. If it's someone who will be directly working with you then you can sell your self despite not having all of the qualifications they are looking for. If you are getting  interviewed by an HR person it's a different story.

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
If you ever want to see a German's head explode, tell them you're working in a job for which you have never studied.

The situation is fucking insane over here - no (German) papers = no proof = no ability = no chance at all.

I kid you not, just yesterday I enquired at the local animal shelter to see if they could use some volunteer help a couple of hours a week. They told me they were dying for help - just send along proof of my training and they'll put it to the boss.

Fuck - I have an extra 2 hours a week and just wanted to go walk some dogs or help clean up.

james87

• Getbig II
Depends on the job. If its an actual "profession" i.e doctor, lawyer, accountant, teacher, engineer etc then no, no matter how much smarter you are then the degree qualified, you are not getting one of these jobs without the degree. There are laws that prevent this. If you are talking about anything else, some manager somewhere or something like that then yea, degree means nothing other then proof you can stick to something for a few years and apply yourself and are not retarded. It boggles my mind why anyone chooses to do some of those mickey mouse degrees though, like business management or marketing type degrees, what a waste of time IMO.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
If you ever want to see a German's head explode, tell them you're working in a job for which you have never studied.

The situation is fucking insane over here - no (German) papers = no proof = no ability = no chance at all.

I kid you not, just yesterday I enquired at the local animal shelter to see if they could use some volunteer help a couple of hours a week. They told me they were dying for help - just send along proof of my training and they'll put it to the boss.

Fuck - I have an extra 2 hours a week and just wanted to go walk some dogs or help clean up.
That's why I can't stop laughing: I don't have any degree, yet my new team is 80% German, in an office in the north of BW -- so quite conservative. And they all have degrees. ;D

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
im looking for a job guys

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
I'm totally overqualified so I have no job.

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
That's why I can't stop laughing: I don't have any degree, yet my new team is 80% German, in an office in the north of BW -- so quite conservative. And they all have degrees. ;D

You could have so much fun with those guys mate!

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
  Ouch.