Author Topic: Dog repellant  (Read 13804 times)

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Dog repellant
« on: October 07, 2012, 09:44:41 AM »
ok so I need some help.  Where I work we have a huge amount of pets for a samll community.  What happens is the dogs are in the apartments and when the owners take them out, they pee everywhere.  All over the stair wells, near elevators, by peoples doors, etc.  Everywhere excpet the designated pet areas.  We havea lot of pet areas so that's not an excuse.  I know it's not the dogs fault, since the owners need to be more responisible on this issue.  Doing a daily pet walk is not feasible nor cost prudent for us to offer.  I need to know of really good, effective chemical repllants that can be used to steer the dogs to the pet areas.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Dog repellant
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 03:16:51 PM »
ok so I need some help.  Where I work we have a huge amount of pets for a samll community.  What happens is the dogs are in the apartments and when the owners take them out, they pee everywhere.  All over the stair wells, near elevators, by peoples doors, etc.  Everywhere excpet the designated pet areas.  We havea lot of pet areas so that's not an excuse.  I know it's not the dogs fault, since the owners need to be more responisible on this issue.  Doing a daily pet walk is not feasible nor cost prudent for us to offer.  I need to know of really good, effective chemical repllants that can be used to steer the dogs to the pet areas.
What about sending a letter to the tenants saying that in hopes to keep the premises able to accommodate pets, there is a plan to install security cameras to discover the irresponsible pet owners (and you will deal with them accordingly)?

You could install a system for irrefutable proof and it would also offer an element of safety to your tenants.
R

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 03:22:40 PM »

WTF?  Geez that's rude and disgusting.  I'm not sure if what you're looking for even exists.  It sounds like marking behavior from the males.  Even otherwise well behaved and trained dogs are probably doing it because the smell is there.  It's almost impossible to get rid of that smell (to the dogs nose), but you might want to try something like Natures Miracle.
:

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
I think there are some commercial repellants for like gardens. They are expensive and only marginally useful. if your spraying an apartment block, its going to cost major money.  best bet = kick the scuzzy owners in the balls

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 07:29:33 PM »
Don't buy the natural gel repellant they have at Petsmart, I got some of that for my garden and the dogs actually taunted me by looking at me while walking back and forth through my Collards.  ;D

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 09:57:27 AM »
What about sending a letter to the tenants saying that in hopes to keep the premises able to accommodate pets, there is a plan to install security cameras to discover the irresponsible pet owners (and you will deal with them accordingly)?

You could install a system for irrefutable proof and it would also offer an element of safety to your tenants.

we thought of this, but if we have camaras they need to be live and recording due to legal requirements and that is big money.  I foud something that may work and will report back.  I am also going to have the guys pressure wash with bleach the areas first to help get rid of the smell. 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 01:36:39 PM »
we thought of this, but if we have camaras they need to be live and recording due to legal requirements and that is big money.  I foud something that may work and will report back.  I am also going to have the guys pressure wash with bleach the areas first to help get rid of the smell. 

I don't think that will work!  You need to neutralize the odor/ammonia and bleach isn't the answer.  If you're gong to go through that effort, then use something like Natures Miracle which may or may not also remove stains.
:

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 08:33:54 PM »
There's nothing thats going to repel a male from marking or urinating on something.  I have a male that will pee on you if you stand still long enough.  It's what they are.  You need to stop the owners.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »
not helping lol.

Owners suck, and we don't have a feasible way to catch and warn them. 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 11:56:29 AM »
not helping lol.

Owners suck, and we don't have a feasible way to catch and warn them. 

Surly you know who the dog owners are.  Why can't you send a letter to them?  And what prohibits you from installing some cheap nanny-cams?

There's nothing thats going to repel a male from marking or urinating on something.  I have a male that will pee on you if you stand still long enough.  It's what they are.  You need to stop the owners.

Not all males are like that - pee on everything, but even the most well behaved male can surprise you.  When Scout was about a year or so, he peed on a friend's Christmas tree  :o  I was mortified
:-[
:

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 06:07:11 PM »
we dont know all the owners, as some have sneaked pets in.  The issue with nanny-cam setups is the fact that if any crime ahppens and the cam isn't working etc, then we get fined.  We have 265 aprtments so it's hard to monitor it all.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 05:40:35 AM »

Girl dogs rule!

Migs, what if the cameras are fake (non-working/non-recording)?  They are just "decoration" but the owners don't know that?
R

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 02:12:14 PM »
Girl dogs rule!

Migs, what if the cameras are fake (non-working/non-recording)?  They are just "decoration" but the owners don't know that?

it falls under the same legal catagory.  I love the pets we haver there, but it is getting out of hand

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 09:45:57 PM »
I think it's on the owners because male dogs will mark their territory. 

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 08:13:13 AM »
maybe i should pee everywhere so they will know whose territory this really is.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 08:35:10 AM »
In the apartment complex I manage, we use a pack of wolves to discourage the dogs from marking their territories.  It's very effective.  The wolves pee on everything and have eaten a few pets, but that's a different story.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 02:57:40 PM »
maybe i should pee everywhere so they will know whose territory this really is.
That might work.   :D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 06:44:10 AM »
R

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 06:51:27 AM »