Author Topic: ...  (Read 8661 times)

snx

• Getbig IV
Re: how did squats and deadlifts ever become "cool" or worth boasting about
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 03:52:38 PM »
This post is actually makes some very good points.  I've been hitting pretty hard for 30 years now.  As you age, all those years of intense/heavy training eventually catches up with you.  It's the mileage, plus all the wear and tear. 

Putting up big numbers becomes less important... even impossible due to injuries, declining hormone levels, lack of energy, etc...  My main goal now is to workout as intensely as possible without getting hurt.

To the guys under 30 here:  Keep on training and keep on living... you'll see.

^^x1000.

I absolutely loved powerlifting. I mean really loved it. Best fun I ever had in the gym. And I still miss it to this day. It made going to the gym seem like it had purpose...like I had a purpose there. It's so concrete - make the weight, or don't. Win, or lose. Nice and black and white...because life is too much grey area.

Can't do it anymore though. I'm so fucked with injuries it's not funny. The only thing that worked - lifting like a boring bodybuilder. Light weights, going for a pump, nice slow controlled reps, stretch and squeeze. Might I add....so f'n boring. Now I'm not hurting anymore, and I can work out 4-5 days a week, which I need to do to stop myself from being a fat-ass. I'd rather train like a pussy than be hurt and not train at all, I guess. That's all I have left. So now I'm the guy I used to laugh at only 7 years ago.

The injuries really started piling on past age 30.

Oh well...I had my fun. Nothing good ever lasts forever.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 04:27:56 PM »
^^x1000.

I absolutely loved powerlifting. I mean really loved it. Best fun I ever had in the gym. And I still miss it to this day. It made going to the gym seem like it had purpose...like I had a purpose there. It's so concrete - make the weight, or don't. Win, or lose. Nice and black and white...because life is too much grey area.

Can't do it anymore though. I'm so fucked with injuries it's not funny. The only thing that worked - lifting like a boring bodybuilder. Light weights, going for a pump, nice slow controlled reps, stretch and squeeze. Might I add....so f'n boring. Now I'm not hurting anymore, and I can work out 4-5 days a week, which I need to do to stop myself from being a fat-ass. I'd rather train like a pussy than be hurt and not train at all, I guess. That's all I have left. So now I'm the guy I used to laugh at only 7 years ago.

The injuries really started piling on past age 30.

Oh well...I had my fun. Nothing good ever lasts forever.
Again, great post!!!

Funny thing..I never was one of those Monday chest type of guys.  I loved lifting the heavier stuff.  Almost HATED training arms.  The feel of the squatting and the deadlifting heavy was great.  I tore my pec benching 395 (I have the 385 bench completion AND the 395 tear on tape...UGH).  There absolutely is something raw about it.  I have dumped a squat only twice in my life.  Just couldnt drive back up.  Otherwise I have racked every squat I have done.  I have only failed to lift the bench one time (besides the tear).  Never have a hitched/rounded my back on deads.

I have a pec tear, tricep tear, hamstring tear, meniscus tear, and ab strain.  Last year I found I had a 12mm tear in supraspinatus tendon.  This year I found out I have a shit ton more wrong with the shoulder.  I have chondromalacia patella in both knees.  Since I went from lifting balls out and heavy to the lighter "pussy" weights...the joints have been feeling better. 

It really sucks when you get up out of a chair and your knees tell you to go fuck off!! LOL.  Or, after a long car ride your low back tells you to sit the fuck back down.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »
Chasing meaning you failed?

I pulled 705 at 235 and almost locked out 725 back in '05, and squatted 635 off a low box without a belt in the same year. onetimehard's seen vids of me lifting so I guess he could vouch if you think bullshit (understandable given this is GB)

And if I'd had half a brain I would have been happy squatting 455 for sets of 10 and NEVER tried to lift heavier and heavier singles.. and maybe I wouldn't be in constant pain with damaged hips and a lower back that doesnt let me put on my shoes some mornings.

ukjeff

I never squat or dead lift.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
Nitro-Tech Hardcore is clinically proven to be 24 times more powerful than regular whey protein for building muscle.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
Tricep kickbacks for teh PuMpZoRzZ is where it['s at, dude.

Totally agree bra - the bump is where growth land shizzles.

Power

• Getbig III
  • Move along
I pulled 705 at 235 and almost locked out 725 back in '05, and squatted 635 off a low box without a belt in the same year. onetimehard's seen vids of me lifting so I guess he could vouch if you think bullshit (understandable given this is GB)

And if I'd had half a brain I would have been happy squatting 455 for sets of 10 and NEVER tried to lift heavier and heavier singles.. and maybe I wouldn't be in constant pain with damaged hips and a lower back that doesnt let me put on my shoes some mornings.

Mawse,  Did you feel lost for a while.  When I finally had to "slow it down" and no longer had a target weight or contest to train for I felt really lost in the gym.  Hell I still occasionally ramp it up to keep the pups in check.  I just stay home for a couple days afterward lol.

PWR

ukjeff

what about bench press

it's the third powerlift and also has questionable application to bodybuilding

Nope, no barbell bench press either.
I do mainly isolation exercises and try and just work a specific muscle.

ukjeff

to totally flex the pectoral muscle you need to have your hands at waist height and compressed together.
Just ask anyone to flex their chest they always do this

Doesnt look anything like a bench press movement to me.

ukjeff

but why do all the pros and all the bbers around the world do 2-3 pressing exercises and 1-2 isolation exercises for chest training?

Because they think they have to  ;)

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
don't have to brag when you LOOK like you can lift a truck

and NOT FATASS STYLE EITHER - pure rock - powerlifter and numbers are just fatass -

EVERYTIME the fat fck POWERLIFTERs are in the gym yelling and writing number - write your BLOOD PRESSURE AND LDLs down

theres a number for the big strong fat asses

ukjeff

i'm starting to think this way

it must be cool to be that strong but at what cost

skeletal destruction and obesity
I see people watch me train with light weights for my size and stare.
I do flys with 25kilo dumbells and some stick insect at the side of me flops back with 30s and is all over the fucking place trying to control them.

I love using smaller weights and watching them trying to impress me by lifting heavier, I couldnt give a fuck what they do, I do what works for me.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Upright Rows

Mawse

• Getbig IV
Mawse,  Did you feel lost for a while.  When I finally had to "slow it down" and no longer had a target weight or contest to train for I felt really lost in the gym.  Hell I still occasionally ramp it up to keep the pups in check.  I just stay home for a couple days afterward lol.

PWR

I guess. Nowadays I don't give a fuck what weights I use, or measure my 'progress' by squats/deadlifts/bench

I did 30+ sets of back today and I don't think I went past 2 plates a side on the hammer strength machines for anything.. I did deadlift 655 a couple weeks back but that was a moment of retardedness

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
Deadlifts are my absolute favorite exercise! ATG Squats second. DB benching third but I fucked up my rotator cuff so meh not for a while they aint.

Deadlifts are king. Anyone who doesn't dead or squat doesn't care about anything but curls and bench  ::) Plus barbell bench does not hit chest as much as DB benching... What initially tore my rotator was barbell benching  ::)

this
K

bigkid

• Getbig IV
It's because of crossfit. It's a plague.  My whole facebook is full of people bragging about eating "clean" and training hard and all these hashtags like #motivation #warrior.  Who gives a fuck.  Just workout and shut the fuck up.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
everytime someone brags about their squat or deadlift i think to myself

"oh how fucking impressive"

Don't use word "think" because you obviously don't know what it means, and you lack some body parts needed to accomplish the job, meaning brains..

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
bench press and big arms fool

don't forget nice round delts and full pecs brother

FUCK LEGS

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Maybe becouse they are the hardest, most productive moves you can do?
And they are full cool, yes! :)

full range supinated weighted chin-ups are pretty damn hard as well

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
to totally flex the pectoral muscle you need to have your hands at waist height and compressed together.
Just ask anyone to flex their chest they always do this

Doesnt look anything like a bench press movement to me.

hammer bench is one of the best pec exercises around