Author Topic: Man Beats 5 month old son to Death, his Defence “Spare the rod. Spoil the child"  (Read 8722 times)

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
Oh Brother! How do you think this child murderer is going to fare in The Big House - I wonder if God will help him.

Guess the Race! Doesn't the bible also say something about "An Eye for an Eye"

A DeKalb County father says the Bible made him do it.

Benjamin Edetanlen was sentenced to 18 years in prison Wednesday for beating his 5-month-old son to death.
Edetanlen’s defense is that he adhered to Proverbs: 13, which taught him “Spare the rod. Spoil the child.” But prosecutors said he went too far and his discipline killed his 5-month-old child in his home in 2004.

Assistant District Attorney Dalia Racine said Edetanlen beat his 5-month-old, his 2-year-old daughter and a 1-year-old son, and used the Bible to justify it.

“The defendant stated that he disciplined the children, according to the book of Proverbs in the Bible,” Racine argued in court.
Prosecutors said the boy died from blunt force trauma. He suffered brain injuries and a broken leg. Edetanlen’s attorney told the court his client loves his children.

“Mr. Edetanlen firmly believed in the adage, you know, spare the rod and spoil the child,” defense attorney Ingrid McGaughey said.
Edetanlen faced murder charges. He pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of involuntary manslaughter and several counts of child cruelty,

“We are asking for 18 years to serve,” Racine said, and the judge agreed.

Edetanlen was ordered to stay away from his other two children once he is released from prison.

His wife faces a charge after she allegedly did nothing to stop the abuse.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/dekalb-dad-gets-18-years-for-bible-inspired-fatal-/nSbL2/
V

BigCyp

• Getbig V
That is the same scripture that is the basis for how I discipline my children, but mine equates out to 3 warnings resulting in a very measured smack on the backside with a wooden spoon / or i'll smack their behind with my hand.

Never when i'm angry, NEVER out of proportion. I mean for fucks sake what is wrong with this animal, you discipline your kids because how deeply you love them and want them to be obedient and grow into respectable children. not fucking beat them to death what the hell. That has just pissed me right off.

If I knew the guy I would beat him to death with the biggest hardback king james bible I could find  :'(

BigCyp

• Getbig V
Seriously what the fuck?

Noel Fuller

• Getbig IV
5 month old can barely crawl, what could they do to need discipline?

lvtolft

• Getbig III
5 month old can barely crawl, what could they do to need discipline?
Exactly!!!  They cannot even grasp discipline or rules or behavior then.  There not even eating solid food yet!
Dude should be killed.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
Colores

snx

• Getbig IV
He should be stoned to death. Spare the stones, spoil the murderer, as they old adage goes.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
black is as black does

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
What's even more pathetic is how is lawyer tried to use the bible as a defense  ::) ::)
X

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
The evil book.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
5 MONTHS.

Seriously, the most my son did wrong at that age was drop his bloody teddy. What kind of disgusting defense could they possibly use to reduce that setence?

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
He should be stoned to death. Spare the stones, spoil the murderer, as they old adage goes.
ROFL  ;D
V

BigCyp

• Getbig V
ROFL  ;D

"Spare the cardio, spare the improvement"

(Tbombz)

snx

• Getbig IV
5 MONTHS.

Seriously, the most my son did wrong at that age was drop his bloody teddy. What kind of disgusting defense could they possibly use to reduce that setence?

Don't want to infuriate hard line right-wing christian voters, if you're the D.A., now do you?

Murder is wrong, but if you were an elected official, wouldn't you have a hard time taking a hard line stance against this defence? Wouldn't you be dismissing the bible's teachings, in the eyes of the fundamentalist right wing christian? Of which there are many, particularly in the south?

Again...take off your current lenses. Pretend you're an elected official who's concerned not always with the law, but how your consitituents want you interpreting the law and punishing who they feel is guilty...because that's what you do if you like your job and want it for another term in office.

Personally, I say hang the guy from a tree and throw heavy shit at him til he's dead. Then set him on fire. Then ship pieces of his burned and broken body to every child molester to let them know they're next if they keep it up. But, I have a certain "tone" about me that liberals don't always agree with.

XBB007

• Getbig II
That is the same scripture that is the basis for how I discipline my children, but mine equates out to 3 warnings resulting in a very measured smack on the backside with a wooden spoon / or i'll smack their behind with my hand.

Never when i'm angry, NEVER out of proportion. I mean for fucks sake what is wrong with this animal, you discipline your kids because how deeply you love them and want them to be obedient and grow into respectable children. not fucking beat them to death what the hell. That has just pissed me right off.

If I knew the guy I would beat him to death with the biggest hardback king james bible I could find  :'(
Words to live by.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
Don't want to infuriate hard line right-wing christian voters, if you're the D.A., now do you?

Murder is wrong, but if you were an elected official, wouldn't you have a hard time taking a hard line stance against this defence? Wouldn't you be dismissing the bible's teachings, in the eyes of the fundamentalist right wing christian? Of which there are many, particularly in the south?

Again...take off your current lenses. Pretend you're an elected official who's concerned not always with the law, but how your consitituents want you interpreting the law and punishing who they feel is guilty...because that's what you do if you like your job and want it for another term in office.

Personally, I say hang the guy from a tree and throw heavy shit at him til he's dead. Then set him on fire. Then ship pieces of his burned and broken body to every child molester to let them know they're next if they keep it up. But, I have a certain "tone" about me that liberals don't always agree with.

No I totally agree man, votes over justice every time. I even see this on a tiny level in local government/village councils etc it's pathetic.

Lol at 'certain tone about me'! We would get on well haha

Radical Plato

• Getbig V

Bible Basher!  ;D
V

snx

• Getbig IV
No I totally agree man, votes over justice every time. I even see this on a tiny level in local government/village councils etc it's pathetic.

Lol at 'certain tone about me'! We would get on well haha

Bingo my friend! Politics suck ass.

Here's the kicker...right now we see this leniency for hardline christians. What happens when muslim integration into american society reaches a critical mass great enough to affect judicial decision making?

Will we then see leniency for muslim men who marry a dozen pre-teens and beat them for attracting a glance from another man?

I get it that not all muslims are fundamentalist muslims and most are social beings. But we all know that politicians overly-respond to vocal minority groups. So what happens when that vocal minority becomes a little less "minority" and strengthens its numbers...enough to line the pockets of the local politico?

I'm not saying breed out the fundamentalists (I just think they're all bat-shit crazy and stupid). I'm saying justice should have no room for religion, or god. It is law. It is right and wrong. Not by what a god, or a religious text says. It is by what society deems necessary. And by a society as a whole...not by minority groups who would seek to impose their beliefs.

Here's an exercise in logic: if a baby-killer can get 18 years by inciting the wrath of fundamentalist right-wing christians, why can't I also abuse the "eye for an eye" motto of those same fundamentalists? Does their old testament not feature this? Or do I have stay stuck in the new testament and turn the other cheek? Which book can I use to get my way? Or can I just choose when it's convenient for me.

The whole judicial system is broken. But then, hasn't it always been? Money, power, political influence...nothing to do with justice and everything to do with manipulation and agendas.

Yes my friend...we would have many stories to tell over a nice ale and some sandwiches at the pub.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
Wise words snx.

Yes the biggest danger to the western world right now is not terrorism, but powers that are beyond our sight that are trying to get us to weave our own web, which will eventually tangle us as well.

Religious extremists are dangerous no matter the religion.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2167755/Smacking-children-increases-chances-mental-illness-later-say-scientists.html

"Adults who were hit or smacked as children face higher odds of mental health problems, including mood and anxiety disorders and problems with alcohol and drug abuse, researchers say.

The study is the first to examine the link between psychological problems and spanking while excluding more severe abuse in order to better gauge the effect of corporal punishment alone.

Those who were hit as children were between two and seven per cent more likely to encounter mental issues later, according to the study from the University of Manitoba in Canada."
from incomplete data

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
In before anecdotes about how people were smacked as kids and grew up just fine to become responsible tax paying citizens.
from incomplete data

snx

• Getbig IV
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2167755/Smacking-children-increases-chances-mental-illness-later-say-scientists.html

"Adults who were hit or smacked as children face higher odds of mental health problems, including mood and anxiety disorders and problems with alcohol and drug abuse, researchers say.

The study is the first to examine the link between psychological problems and spanking while excluding more severe abuse in order to better gauge the effect of corporal punishment alone.

Those who were hit as children were between two and seven per cent more likely to encounter mental issues later, according to the study from the University of Manitoba in Canada."

I wonder, then, how many bodybuilders were smacked as kids...

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
In before anecdotes about how people were smacked as kids and grew up just fine to become responsible tax paying citizens.

It always goes there doesn't it.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
I was spanked as a child and I turned out just fine. Although I did have a period of substance abuse. But that was more related to my party days and playing in a band than it was to some sort of psychological problem.

EH

• Getbig III
using the bible as an excuse to beat your children is pathetic. do you beat your dogs as well?

fucking christians.