Author Topic: Cinnamon boosts IGF-1, rejuvenates skin  (Read 6146 times)

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
Cinnamon boosts IGF-1, rejuvenates skin
« on: October 19, 2012, 01:44:46 PM »
Cinnamon boosts IGF-1, rejuvenates skin

I thought this was cool if someone could come up with some supplement of this nature

A cinnamon supplement can help against skin aging, conclude biochemists at Osaka Prefecture University in Japan from a study in which they exposed skin cells to extracts of ten edible herbs in test tubes.

If you're a supplements or cosmetics manufacturer looking for products to reduce skin aging, there are two factors you need to take into account: collagen and IGF-1. Skin owes its suppleness and youthfulness to a high level of collagen synthesis by the skin cells, and the hormone that stimulates the skin cells to produce collagen is IGF-1.

There are indications that molecules in our food can enhance the effect of insulin – which in many respects resembles the effect of IGF-1. That's why these researchers wondered whether they could find these molecules in edible herbs.

When the Japanese exposed skin cells to ten different herb extracts in test tubes, they noticed that fenugreek, cinnamon and Iranian cumin in particular boosted collagen production. The bigger the blob in the figure below, the greater the collagen synthesis.

Cinnamon from Sri Lanka boosted the collagen production the most, the researchers discovered. HPLC analysis revealed the following compounds, as shown in the graph above: peak 1 = cinnamyl alcohol; peak 2 = cinnamic acid; peak 3 = cinnamaldehyde; peak 4 = 2-methoxycinnamaldehyde; peak 5 = alpha-methyl cinnamaldehyde; peak 6 = cinnamyl acetate.

Cinnamaldehyde in particular enhanced collagen synthesis, the researchers discovered.

Cinnamaldehyde improves the performance of IGF-1, the researchers discovered. They discovered more phosphorylated IGF-1 receptors in skin cells that had been exposed to IGF-1 rather than to cinnamaldehyde. So cinnamaldehyde doesn't lead to the creation of more IGF-1 receptors, but does ensure that, once IGF-1 has attached itself to its receptor, that the signal is transmitted better to the cell.

The same actually also happened in experiments without IGF-1, so it would seem that cinnamaldehyde can replace IGF-1 in skin cells. [Hmm... If cinnamaldehyde does the same in muscle cells...]

"Our findings could be helpful in improving the signs and symptoms of aging skin since a reduction in dermal collagen production is considered to be its principal cause", the researchers conclude. "The mechanism by which cinnamaldehyde induces the ligand-independent activation of IGF-I receptor will be addressed further in the near future."

Source:
J Agric Food Chem. 2012 Feb 8;60(5):1193-200.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Cinnamon boosts IGF-1, rejuvenates skin
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 05:17:18 PM »
i use cassia cinnamon sticks in lots of foods

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 10:24:02 PM »
I think I have 4 different cinnamons in my spice cabinet.

So... how much needs to be ingested to be effective?

;D
:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 02:31:21 AM »

;D

2 whole tablespoons daily... eat them straight

please post video of the effects...    :-*

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 03:52:37 PM »

;D

omg that was so gay LMAO

eeh.... cinna man go go ??? lol

On a serious note now I have the urge to chew on cinammon sticks (no homo)

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 04:34:06 PM »
~

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 05:01:17 PM »
i add cassia cinnamon bark to my green tea... tastes good

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 06:45:43 PM »
In addition to being great for the skin, helping to regulate blood sugar, blood flow & circulation,
...it reportedly provides additional 'spice' to your love life as well.  {pun intended}  :P
w

panos32

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 09:32:46 AM »
cinnamon also improves your insulin sensitivity by a mechanism similar to metformin (glucophage) which is prescribed to type-2 diabetics for lowering blood glucose.

with that being said...you need a big dose of cinnamon for that to happen and getting it from cinnamon bark or cassia is potentially dangerous because of the coumarin content

ceylon cinnamon is the real cinnamon (from Sri Lanka) and contains extremely low levels of cumarin.

the water extract of cinnamon is also good, but it is expensive and comes in pill form, so long story short another supplement in your huge bill of things you don't need