Author Topic: Why are bodybuilders obsessed with protein?  (Read 11610 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
Why are bodybuilders obsessed with protein?
« on: October 21, 2012, 02:34:47 PM »
I suppose this goes for other people too: fitness freaks, soccer moms, etc.

What's really the reason?  Out of the three macronutrients, protein is the only one with a good reputation.  Fats have recovered a little, and these days carbs are the bogeyman.  It's like people believe you can eat as much protein as you want, and only good things will happen.  You'll never be fat, and the muscle will just pile on.

But doesn't this strike anyone else as just complete BULLSHIT?  Tren + sickening cow genes =

does this cow eat lots of steak?  chicken?

Look at the trap development on this guy:

What does his dinner look like?  A slightly less salty version of RAtard's, perhaps?

"But like, muscle is made out of protein, you have to eat lots of it so ur body can build new ones!"

So you're confident this guy gets in a strict 500g daily?

???

My opinion:

People think muscles are made out of protein, and lifting weights tears down the muscle, so you gotta eat a lotta dem proteins to rebuild da muscles.  It sounds reasonable, so basically everyone believes and preaches it.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
Re: Why are bodybuilders obsessed with protein?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »
Well I guess every bodybuilding champion since the mid 60's was wrong. I'll call them all and let them know.
a

nefario

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 02:36:43 PM »
Good post. Nice animal pictures.

Would probably read again.

8/10

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 02:36:47 PM »
hahah hannibal is so fucking bald and clueless about heme-iron when they asked him
A

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 02:42:27 PM »
Well I guess every bodybuilding champion since the mid 60's was wrong. I'll call them all and let them know.

wtf are you talking about bro, you think phil heath eats 900 grams of protein a day?  you think big zkk is lying about his chicken stir fry 4500 kcals daily?  are you calling superstar trainer and best e-book selling author jason ferrugia a man of questionable integrity?  you think dante truly rinses his beef?

we aren't talkin about bodybuilding prep here, we're talking about questionable beliefs!

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 02:47:25 PM »
hahah hannibal is so fucking bald and clueless about heme-iron when they asked him

About as clueless as you are about the HBP and Type 2 diabetes you are shooting for.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 03:03:53 PM »
Easy one - protein is the alpha and omega to muscle...

"It's to harness the power of the flaccid tap" - Weider 18:20, schmoe transcript 7.

"Once bodybuilders have tap'eth into the divine source they simply can't recover from those woes of thy spirit without the gentle stroke of mans eternal fountain." Random Bodybuilder 20:20, survival verse 6.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 03:08:56 PM »
About as clueless as you are about the HBP and Type 2 diabetes you are shooting for.

wont happen . people get diabetes from people that replace sugar with meat
A

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 03:26:16 PM »
ok, well, humans are not gorillas, you know.and neither are humans cows, when someone says shes a cow, its metaphoric,

No shit, brother.  The point is: doesn't this make you wonder whether the consumption of "protein" is truly necessary for "protein synthesis" or "hypertrophy"?  Of course my animal examples are no "proof," but they've given many, including myself, pause for thought.

secondly, have you ever trained?

if yes, have you ever trained for extended periods and only eaten stirfry and chicken?

how was the results?

now, if you did that, did you ever train for extended periods of time and eaten nothing but junk food,or a diet very low on protein?how was the results

I've never been in "contest condition," but my diet has varied widely.  I never gone low carb, but I have gone low protein.  Never noticed a difference.  Of course trying to isolate these variables in a personal experiment is a joke.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 03:28:06 PM »
Maybe I'm not being clear.  Please post why YOU, PERSONALLY, BELIEVE you need to eat lots of protein as a bodybuilder!  If someone asked you, "why do I need to eat a lot of protein?" what would you tell them?

and props to bruce for a solid answer.

Jizzacked

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 03:32:41 PM »

What is the exact location of this woman

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 03:41:05 PM »
The bull ,the gorilla and the black dude , they all have shitty legs ,

So I came to the conclusion that in order to have a complete physique you need  to be obsess with protein.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 03:48:06 PM »
The bull ,the gorilla and the black dude , they all have shitty legs ,

So I came to the conclusion that in order to have a complete physique you need  to be obsess with protein.

:D

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »
 :D

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »
Good post. Nice animal pictures.

Would probably read again.

8/10

^LOL

Eh.. protein is necessary for genetic expression.

Pretty much genes + protein + hormones = build/rebuild stuff

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 04:23:48 PM »
Apparently, those leaves they eat contain quite a lot of protein. I assume it's the same with cows and grass.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/07/science/07obgorilla.html?_r=0

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 04:29:31 PM »
Eating 300 grams of protein per day when 50 would probably be enough = oh brother ::)

Let's say a bodybuilder megadosing builds 3 kg of muscle in a year. That is about 8 grams a day. Yep, definately need to consume 300 grams of protein for that.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 05:04:04 PM »
Apparently, those leaves they eat contain quite a lot of protein. I assume it's the same with cows and grass.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/07/science/07obgorilla.html?_r=0

Protein makes up about 17 percent of their total energy intake, close to the 15 percent protein intake the heart association recommends for people.

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »

I didn't expect those leaves to contain protein at all to be honest.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 05:13:26 PM »
Plenty of Bodybuiders in the last 40 years didn't eat super amounts of protein- Hilligan, Pearl and Cahling all won their last big competitions as vegetarians. Even Reeves ate mostly salads, etc. The Mentzer brothers mostly ate carbohydrates and some chicken later in their last competitions.  Nassar  apparently only went high protein when cutting up~ off season he was pretty low. George Farah said he ate low protein due to damaged kidneys. Some pretty heavy hitters in that group.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »
Plenty of Bodybuiders in the last 40 years didn't eat super amounts of protein- Hilligan, Pearl and Cahling all won their last big competitions as vegetarians. Even Reeves ate mostly salads, etc. The Mentzer brothers mostly ate carbohydrates and some chicken later in their last competitions.  Nassar  apparently only went high protein when cutting up~ off season he was pretty low. George Farah said he ate low protein due to damaged kidneys. Some pretty heavy hitters in that group.

How much stock do you put into what Mentzer says...first off.  Secondly, at what point do you start factoring in what some of those guys were taking to look the way they do.  Not a drug user bash...just seeing what the opinion/consensus is.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 05:41:36 PM »
How much stock do you put into what Mentzer says...first off.  Secondly, at what point do you start factoring in what some of those guys were taking to look the way they do.  Not a drug user bash...just seeing what the opinion/consensus is.
I totally believe him. Having known him for 10 years, he was never one to lie. Quite the opposite. Told me some stuff that didn't make him look good, but it was honest.  Had lunch with him and dinner once or twice when he was just a trainer. Turkey ( no cheese) sub sandwich, no chips,  Chinese, that kind of thing. Nothing extreme.

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 05:54:39 PM »
Reminds me of a scene in Revenge of the Nerds II when Ogre is lying on the beach smoking weed and prothesis's if Dog really mean Cat. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 05:56:58 PM »
Pearl looked fantastic not eating any type of meat. Just think of how much money they make selling whey protein.  That use to be the waste product of making cheese. Now it's an ultra expensive supplement.

When I reached a point in my early 20's where I could afford any supplement out there and I used everything. Now in my 50's I stopped using all supplements.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2012, 06:08:49 PM »
because i want an excess of amino acids to be available at all times in every single cell in my body so if there is ever an excess of calories then growth will occur and if there is ever insufficient calories then muscle loss wont occur. period.