Author Topic: Bayonet Co. slices Obama to shreds: "He should educate himself"  (Read 10756 times)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Re: Bayonet Co. slices Obama to shreds: "He should educate himself"
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2012, 04:20:08 PM »
It was a pretty moronic comment by Obama. His comment wasn't that they win wars, it was that there aren't many of them left, which is totally stupid and ignorant.

he said fewer, that does not imply many of them left, how did you deduce that?

here is an example for you, say in 1920 we used 100 bayonets and now use 99, that's called fewer.

it is in fact a fact that fewer bayonets are used now.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2012, 04:23:12 PM »
I don't if they are "standard issue" for Marines, but every Marine is trained to use them.  They're also still used quite a bit. 

http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloomberg/article/War-Horses-Fade-Into-History-Even-as-Marines-3975138.php

sure, I think they should be, his comment is still right and his point is still correct that romney going on about ships it moronic. How do you know you lack substance? use the sheer number of ships as a talking point. It's actually absurd you guys are defending his use of this issue and now this bayonet bullshit.

In fact under Obama the number of "ships" is higher then the all time low under bush so his comment is wrong out the gate and stupid in the long run. You guys spend more on defence then the top 23 other countries, seriously, as long as you argue about bullshit like this you will never get anywhere.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2012, 04:34:15 PM »
sure, I think they should be, his comment is still right and his point is still correct that romney going on about ships it moronic. How do you know you lack substance? use the sheer number of ships as a talking point. It's actually absurd you guys are defending his use of this issue and now this bayonet bullshit.

In fact under Obama the number of "ships" is higher then the all time low under bush so his comment is wrong out the gate and stupid in the long run. You guys spend more on defence then the top 23 other countries, seriously, as long as you argue about bullshit like this you will never get anywhere.

I wasn't defending anything.  Just clarifying the use of bayonets. 

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2012, 04:56:39 PM »
jesus, bayonets are not standard issue,
You are a moron. Marines going into combat are issued bayonets. We also train with them. Also, I believe Mountain Warfare school still uses horses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weapons_of_the_United_States_Marine_Corps

Bladed weapons
M7 bayonet - currently being phased out
OKC-3S bayonet
KA-BAR - generally issued to Marines who carry pistols, machine guns, or other non-bayonet compatible firearms
Marine non-commissioned officers' sword, 1859-present - ceremonial use only
Marine Officers' Mameluke Sword, 1875-Present - ceremonial use only

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »
I see.
When you were in the service did you carry out a lot of attacks from horse-back with a bajonet?
We did quite a bit with bayonets. As I said, Mountain Warfare school still uses horses and mules, I believe.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2012, 04:59:28 PM »
h

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »

No one is arguing this, just that his comment was idiotic. Bayonets are still used in the military and are still very important. The horse thing is semi-accurate. The bayonet part was not. There are just as many bayonet's in the hands of the infantry today as there was back then.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2012, 05:01:35 PM »
You are a moron. Marines going into combat are issued bayonets. We also train with them. Also, I believe Mountain Warfare school still uses horses.

UM.. Shock.. While i do know you train with them. The instance of going into combat zones and walking with it attached to the end of your rifle isnt practiced as much. Oh and i didnt know you were a marine. My older bro is and he is my hero for real. Thanks

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2012, 05:02:27 PM »
h

Ambassador Stevens actually had 2 armed Navy SEALS with him.  Still beats a bayonet anyday
A

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2012, 05:02:57 PM »
UM.. Shock.. While i do know you train with them. The instance of going into combat zones and walking with it attached to the end of your rifle isnt practiced as much. Oh and i didnt know you were a marine. My older bro is and he is my hero for real. Thanks
Of course its not practiced as much. But it's there for when you need it. It's attached in dire situations, when you know fighting is going to be at arms reach, such as if you're overrun, or low on ammo, or going to charge an enemy position.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2012, 05:03:46 PM »
Of course its not practiced as much. But it's there for when you need it. It's attached in dire situations, when you know fighting is going to be at arms reach, such as if you're overrun, or low on ammo, or going to charge an enemy position.

Yeah i kind of think thats what obama was getting at

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2012, 05:05:14 PM »
Yeah i kind of think thats what obama was getting at
I can only go off what he said, and I know that Marines still carry their bayonets when they go into combat. They don't get used nearly as much, but they still have them.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2012, 05:07:26 PM »
I can only go off what he said, and I know that Marines still carry their bayonets when they go into combat. They don't get used nearly as much, but they still have them.

Let's compare.   how many people in the military are carrying them today?

in WWI, or 1916, there were about 300,000 US Troops fighting, and I bet most of them had at least one bayonet.......

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2012, 05:11:28 PM »
Let's compare.   how many people in the military are carrying them today?

in WWI, or 1916, there were about 300,000 US Troops fighting, and I bet most of them had at least one bayonet.......
You'd need to know how many of those troops were actually IN THE FIGHT, not just as being involved with the war.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2012, 05:13:04 PM »
this is from beachbum       he's a repub so he must be right ;D

As for horses, although a few reappeared in the opening days of the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the special operations forces who rode them were carrying laser pointers to direct air strikes rather than sabers and lances to carve up the enemy.

While Obama was correct that the U.S. Army has fewer horses and bayonets than it did in 1916, as anyone who has seen the movie or play “War Horse” knows, the days of the cavalry charge and fixed bayonets were already waning in World War I. They were victims of machine guns and artillery.

While the U.S. Army still used horses for transport and supply duty, the last of them were traded in for trucks and Jeeps at the end of World War II.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloomberg/article/War-Horses-Fade-Into-History-Even-as-Marines-3975138.php#ixzz2AAdvIdQf

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2012, 05:13:53 PM »
Why does the green grass grow?

G

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2012, 05:18:53 PM »

As for horses, although a few reappeared in the opening days of the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the special operations forces who rode them were carrying laser pointers to direct air strikes rather than sabers and lances to carve up the enemy.

While Obama was correct that the U.S. Army has fewer horses and bayonets than it did in 1916, as anyone who has seen the movie or play “War Horse” knows, the days of the cavalry charge and fixed bayonets were already waning in World War I. They were victims of machine guns and artillery.

While the U.S. Army still used horses for transport and supply duty, the last of them were traded in for trucks and Jeeps at the end of World War II.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloomberg/article/War-Horses-Fade-Into-History-Even-as-Marines-3975138.php#ixzz2AAdvIdQf
No one has been arguing about the horses.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2012, 05:22:29 PM »
Why does the green grass grow?

What makes the grass grow?

Blood, blood, blood.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2012, 05:32:37 PM »
No one is arguing this, just that his comment was idiotic. Bayonets are still used in the military and are still very important. The horse thing is semi-accurate. The bayonet part was not. There are just as many bayonet's in the hands of the infantry today as there was back then.
::)
G

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2012, 05:34:45 PM »

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2012, 05:36:18 PM »

I dont think anyone is silly enough to argue Obama wasn't factually accurate.

However, it is a chance to act offended, something we can never pass up.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2012, 05:37:04 PM »
::)
They have their place.

A Bayonet Charge Saved A Whole Lot Of Lives During The Iraq War
Geoffrey Ingersoll    | Oct. 23, 2012, 2:56 PM | 3,023 | 12

inShare

Email
More

Mark Stroud via U.S. Marine Corps
Brian Wood was just a young lance corporal at the time when he dismounted his thin-skinned vehicle amid withering enemy fire, and followed his commander's order to fix bayonets.
The order came from from Sgt. Dave Falconer, reports The Sun and BBC, who later said he was proud of the actions from his men that day.
The date was May 14, 2004, and Falconer, along with Wood, Private Anthony Rushforth, Sgt Chris Broome, and privates John-Claude Fowler and Matthew Tatawaqa, were speeding down a roadway 150 miles south of Basra in Southern Iraq. They were on their way to relieve fellow comrades caught in an ambush when they were caught in one of their own.
The fire was so close and at such an angle (a close quartered, L-shaped ambush) that the only way to defeat it "was to put boots on the ground," said Falconer.
So he immediately ordered his men to dismount and fix bayonets.
"When the order came to dismount and attack, it was just like what we’'ve done dozens of times in training," said Rushforth to the Sun. "We were pumped up on adrenaline — proper angry. It'’s only afterwards you think, ‘Jesus, I actually did that’.'”"
The six soldiers charged across open ground, pausing only to throw themselves to the ground to avoid enemy fire, and return a bit of their own. In a few small sprints, they had traversed to the first trench, into which they immediately leapt, coming face to face with the enemy.
The fighting was close quarters and intense.
"Basically, it was short, sharp and furious," said Wood, who was later awarded the Military Cross for actions that day.
Cleared, they headed to the next, and the next, fighting, which took almost two hours, and the lives of approximately 30 Mahdi army soldiers of Muqtada Al-Sadr.
A few continued to hold out, holed up in a bunker, until a British tank arrived to level it.
The last time the Army used bayonets in action, The Sun noted, was when Scots Guards assaulted Argentinian positions in 1982.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-most-famous-bayonet-charge-of-modern-conflict-2012-10#ixzz2AAkZnYAZ

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2012, 05:38:08 PM »
I dont think anyone is silly enough to argue Obama wasn't factually accurate.

However, it is a chance to act offended, something we can never pass up.

i guess you have not read all the post ;D

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2012, 06:08:20 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weapons_of_the_United_States_Marine_Corps

Bladed weapons
M7 bayonet - currently being phased out
OKC-3S bayonet
KA-BAR - generally issued to Marines who carry pistols, machine guns, or other non-bayonet compatible firearms
Marine non-commissioned officers' sword, 1859-present - ceremonial use only
Marine Officers' Mameluke Sword, 1875-Present - ceremonial use only

again, they are not standard issue. nor are they used as much, hence the fewer.

again, so what if someone or some division uses horses, he said fewer. You are really grasping here aren't you.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2012, 06:11:27 PM »
again, they are not standard issue. nor are they used as much, hence the fewer.

again, so what if someone or some division uses horses, he said fewer. You are really grasping here aren't you.
What in the hell is you definition of standard issue? Every Marine that goes into combat has his bayonet. Is that not standard issue enough for you?