Author Topic: Energy Drink Lawsuit  (Read 3298 times)

Armani

• Getbig II
  • 161 confirmed kills and counting
Energy Drink Lawsuit
« on: October 23, 2012, 12:55:55 PM »
This topic is in the news because of the recent lawsuit by the parents who allege their 14 year old daughter died after drinking two 24 ounce cans of "Monster Energy Drinks" within 24 hours. My  thoughts:

(1) The girl had an inherited disorder which causes weakened blood vessles. No healthy person should die from the amount of caffeine in two Monsters. The lawsuit appears meritless.

(2) There is a record of five deaths in the past year in which Monster was consumed. No information is provided, however, regarding the health or conditions of any of the decedents. I suspect that hard liquor may have been a contributing factor to a much higher fatality rate in the same time.

http://www.webpronews.com/monster-beverage-lawsuit-alleges-energy-drink-caused-girls-death-2012-10

Monster Beverage Lawsuit Alleges Energy Drink Caused Girl’s Death
By Sean Patterson ·

Monster Beverage is famous for its caffine and sugar-filled energy drinks, but it may soon find itself having to defend its beverages in court.

In a complaint filed in a California Superior Court, Monster Beverage is being sued over the death of a 14-year-old girl named Anais Fournier. The girl’s family, from Hagerstown, Maryland, alleges that the girl died after drinking two 24-ounce cans of Monster Energy drinks within 24 hours.

According to an AP report, an autopsy performed Fournier’s death found that she had died of cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity. The caffeine had made the girl’s heart pump irregularly, preventing it from pumping blood properly. In addition to the caffeine, the AP reports that the girl had inherited a disorder that “can weaken blood vessels.”

Obviously, Monster doesn’t believe its drinks caused the girl to die, and has vowed to “vigorously” fight the lawsuit. The company stated that it does not know of any deaths caused by its drinks.

A Bloomberg report, however, shows that Monster Energy drinks have been linked to the deaths of five people in the past year. Five different reports received by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) show that Monster drinks were consumed prior to patient deaths.

Monster Beverage stock is down today following the news. The price dipped as low as 43.60, an almost 19% drop from the day’s high. Monster Beverage opened today’s trading at 53.32.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Energy Drink Lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 04:31:35 PM »
Is it popular/trendy for people to mix Monster energy drinks with alcohol as they do Red Bull?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 06:18:50 PM »
idiots in california can sue other idiots for stupidities...

it's the state's fault

this does not occur ANYWHERE else in the word

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 03:41:37 AM »
"Stupidity" may merit a product disclaimer - something along the lines of the Surgeon General's warning on cigarette cartons. Threats posed to those with a rare genetic anomaly is a different matter.

Regardless, I suspect that this will most likely result in an out-of-court settlement, with plenty of attorneys making some nice coin in the process.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 04:35:03 AM »
"Stupidity" may merit a product disclaimer - something along the lines of the Surgeon General's warning on cigarette cartons. Threats posed to those with a rare genetic anomaly is a different matter.

Regardless, I suspect that this will most likely result in an out-of-court settlement, with plenty of attorneys making some nice coin in the process.

a symptom of a sick society imo

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 05:15:36 AM »

a symptom of a sick society imo

I detest our liberal court system that allows sick shit like this to happen.
See "Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants" for further proof of the joke that is our Judicial system.

That's why our own Armani needs to run for Judge!!
 ;D 8) ;) :D

Purge_WTF

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 08:08:40 AM »
 I think the makers of energy drinks should post health disclaimers and the amount of caffeine on the cans/bottles from now on. I pray for the girl and her family.

Armani

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 10:13:48 AM »

I detest our liberal court system that allows sick shit like this to happen.
See "Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants" for further proof of the joke that is our Judicial system.

That's why our own Armani needs to run for Judge!!
 ;D 8) ;) :D

ohhhh the skeletons that would come flying out of the closet were I ever to seek higher office!

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 10:33:26 AM »
ohhhh the skeletons that would come flying out of the closet were I ever to seek higher office!

;D
w

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 12:05:16 PM »

Yeah, that'd make you a shoe-in!! 8)

Armani

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »

Yeah, that'd make you a shoe-in!! 8)

Well, I don't insert CIGARS in my female interns! heh heh heh

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 02:17:08 PM »

Cigars $ BJ's are okay...
So long as you don't have traditional intercourse with her.

But, I'm sure that if you did, you at least would not lie to a judge and all of America about it. If anything, you know there's no need, as according to post-scandal approval ratings, America apparently loves blow-jobs!
 ;D

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 05:55:05 PM »
Pretty confident alcohol was involved.

Mass dehydration, overheating, heart rate, acting like tools at some club = dead.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 06:58:04 PM »
I think the makers of energy drinks should post health disclaimers and the amount of caffeine on the cans/bottles from now on. I pray for the girl and her family.

pray for what? to what?

we're all worm meat...

i am your only god

Armani

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 09:24:26 AM »

Caffeine listing I have no problem with.  Issuing a "health disclaimer" for a product that is statistically safe for countless millions of consumers not so much.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 03:35:26 PM »
Wouldn't that be up there with the "WARNING CONTAINS PEANUTS" warning on my bag of peanuts?

Armani

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
Wouldn't that be up there with the "WARNING CONTAINS PEANUTS" warning on my bag of peanuts?

Exactly Wooo.  Pretty soon every product will need to come with a pamphlet of disclaimers like your television.  

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 04:14:37 PM »
Exactly Wooo.  Pretty soon every product will need to compe with a pamphlet of disclaimers like your television.   

WARNING that post was written by Armani

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 10:51:22 PM »

:D