Author Topic: 20 Dumbest Things Ever Said By Bodybuilders  (Read 7779 times)

DKlent

• Getbig III
Re: 20 Dumbest Things Ever Said By Bodybuilders
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 10:03:42 AM »
He's 100% wrong about saturated fats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat#Association_with_diseases

You can see all of the studies sourced here.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 10:06:08 AM »
"I have diabetes so I can't use dangerous anabolic steroids."   -Tim Belknap
a

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 10:26:48 AM »
19 is bullshit.  Bench presses are not in a good position for lifting off on your own. You can fuck up your shoulders reaching back over your head to get the weight up.  It helps when someone takes the burden off of your shoulders.  Same with racking them again.  Sounds like a dipshit who benches 1 plate wrote this.  Try it with 3 plus plates a side and you'll understand.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 10:40:52 AM »
"I have diabetes so I can't use dangerous anabolic steroids."   -Tim Belknap

Quite believable.  :D

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »
100% natural. Hard work, baby. - Gustavo Badell.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2012, 11:10:46 AM »

bbers really are clowns... all that mass means nothing against a trained puncher
Holyfield looked like a bber, and had arms that would have dwarfed a lot of 80s--early 90s bbers. Proof that having big arms are not a detriment...he had the training.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2012, 11:13:50 AM »
Holyfield looked like a bber, and had arms that would have dwarfed a lot of 80s--early 90s bbers. Proof that having big arms are not a detriment...he had the training.
a

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 11:15:33 AM »
"It's impossible for me to get below 250"
O

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2012, 11:17:34 AM »

Yeah, I remember Lee training Holyfield...Holyfield had some traps on him as well.
David Tua also was jacked, and Tyson as well---except he wasn't as cut as Holyfield.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »
20 Dumbest Things Ever Said By Bodybuilders
June 27, 2012 by Mike Westerdal  

18) Can I get a lift off?
If somebody says this before they start, walk away! If you cant lift it on your own, you have no business lifting that weight. The only exception is some crappy old shoulder and incline presses that make you reach 4 feet behind your head to grab the bar.  In such cases I remove #18

Yes I agree.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2012, 11:27:48 AM »
"De plane! De plane!"

I wonder if he got any love on De Isle de Fantasy

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »
20 Dumbest Things Ever Said By Bodybuilders
June 27, 2012 by Mike Westerdal  

1) Chicken, egg whites, rice, and rice cakes ONLY…..If you want to get shredded.
PLEASE DO NOT do this! Your body needs micro nutrients and vitamins.  I know of so many aspiring bodybuilders and people that just want to better their physique that hire people who tell them to follow this diet. FIRE THEM!

2) Fats make you fat.
Fats are essential for countless essential body processes. All fats are good (trans fats excluded) in some proper ratio. Rotate your fat sources and watch your libido and test levels skyrocket. I’m just saying…

3) You’ve gotta lift heavy to grow
Cmon people! If you’ve ever read anything I’ve written you know this is not true. You’ve got to lift properly, and maximize tension to grow! Don’t worry, its easier than it sounds once you get it.

4) A calorie is a calorie (all calories are created equal)
Sounds like meathead math to me! Even when trying to get as big as possible, the WORST thing you can do is eat indiscriminately. This will set you up for insulin resistance and LESS muscle growth. I can’t believe all the kids brainwashed into thinking pop tarts are okay!

5) I’m trying to work my “tie ins”
I still laugh when I read this. J WTH is a “tie in” There is NO SUCH THING people. A muscle is a muscle, and its structure is what it is. Where two muscles tie together is simply where two muscles tie together. You CANT train that. You can certainly train a muscles ENTIRE length, but not the space between two muscles.

6) I’m training to stretch my fascia.
Ummm, FASCIA DOES NOT STRETCH! 100% proven fact that fascia has the tensile strength of STEEL. It may expand, much like muscle does when it gets warm, and become more pliable, but as soon as it cools its right back to where it started. Fascia grows in much the same way muscle does. You may break fascial adhesions which gives the illusion of expansion or greater range (this is a great thing!) but unfortunately its not stretching to allow for muscle growth peeps. Volumize your muscle via training and fascia will see a need to adapt and expand or grow.

7) Narrow grip T-Bar rows work my inner back
A-mazing! NO-IT-DOES-NOT! Narrow grip on back simply impedes ranges and forces you to use greater internal rotation of the shoulder joint (rotator muscles)

8) I don’t want to “overtrain”
Listen, an hour or two 5 days a week IS NOT overtraining…EVER…PERIOD. Unless you don’t eat, and don’t sleep…in which case overtraining is the least of your worries.

9) Low intensity cardio is best for fat burning
Hopefully, by now, most of you know that this is a big load of BS and that low intensity cardio does in fact burn a greater percentage of overall fat WHILE doing the exercise but does NOTHING for your BMR aka calorie burning for the rest of the day.

10) Fasted cardio burns more fat
NOPE! Never been proven. Ever. In fact, it has been showen that cardio(or any exercise for that matter) done after consuming calories has a greater thermogenic effect.
(more calories burned)

11) Preacher curls work my lower bicep
Oh boy! Weve ALL done this at some point. Myself included. But thankfully I know better now. As much as it would nice to work my lower bicep or lengthen my bicep, preacher curls do not do this, and either do any exercises. They may overload the lower portion of the strength curve, thereby making you stronger in that part of the range giving you the misconception that youre lengthening your bicep. In reality, youre just getting overall thickness to your bicep.

12) Close grip bench works my inner chest
Or ANY exercise for that matter…you CAN NOT work your “inner chest”. I actually had a fight with another pro about this. To improve development of your inner chest it is simply necessary to fully shorten your pec muscles. Much like a bicep curl “for peak” forces your muscle to be fully shortened and thereby grow upward, same idea for inner chest.

13) I must touch the floor on stiff leg deadlift for a full range and maximum stretch in my hammies.
Cool you can touch your toes. That doesn’t mean that youre getting a greater range in your hamstrings. It often means that youre achieving a greater range via putting your spine in a compromised position. Go only as far as your hamstrings flexibility will allow.

14) When you stop working out, does all that muscle turn to fat?
Clearly every bodybuilder that stops training will turn to a massive fat slob. All that muscle has to go somewhere right? Well, no. Fat and muscle are two completely different entities. Its like turning chicken breasts into donuts. Although it might be cool, I don’t see it being likely anytime soon unless you can track down Doc Brown and his flying Delorean.

15) Saturated fat is bad
Actually, saturated fat has never been shown to have any correlation with all the negative things the media might have you believe. Heart disease etc. When it does become bad is when its combined with sugars! Saturated fat on its own actually have many great positive benefits in the body. Hormone production etc.

16) Taking glutamine and Whey protein together is bad. They compete.
In fact they can help with increased protein synthesis when combined.In fact glutamine improves immune function and immune function is an indicator of strength. Weak immune system = weak muscles.

17) I’m going to diet and lose bodyfat before I start weight training
Ok, maybe not said by a lot of bodybuilders, but I still here this idiocy all the time.  Listen people, Weight training is THE best way to lose body fat and change composition.  Vinny and I can take ANY physique to 10% body fat with weights and diet alone!

18) Can I get a lift off?
If somebody says this before they start, walk away! If you cant lift it on your own, you have no business lifting that weight. The only exception is some crappy old shoulder and incline presses that make you reach 4 feet behind your head to grab the bar.  In such cases I remove #18

19) Creatine causes cramping and muscle tears.
Nothing even close to that has ever been shown, but the media loves to tell stories that sensationalize everything that they put out.

20) I just can’t build my triceps (insert YOUR lagging bodypart here).
YES you can. You just need to learn HOW to do things properly. They might never be the best in the world, but you can bring up any lagging bodypart to match the rest of your body with knowledge of proper execution.

http://www.criticalbench.com/20-dumbest-bodybuilders/

x2
#

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2012, 12:01:37 PM »
Holyfield looked like a bber, and had arms that would have dwarfed a lot of 80s--early 90s bbers. Proof that having big arms are not a detriment...he had the training gh.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2012, 12:02:21 PM »
"De plane! De plane!"

Great poster and a ladies man.

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2012, 12:05:04 PM »
26.. what you are going to need is a sharp knife and a grapefruit.
time under tension

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2012, 12:09:16 PM »
25. '' It's going to be a battle ''

Exactly. Iron warriors.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2012, 12:46:44 PM »
He's 100% wrong about saturated fats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat#Association_with_diseases

You can see all of the studies sourced here.

The lipid hypothesis has been disproven over and over again. Wake up and move on. It's not 1980.

19 is bullshit.  Bench presses are not in a good position for lifting off on your own. You can fuck up your shoulders reaching back over your head to get the weight up.  It helps when someone takes the burden off of your shoulders.  Same with racking them again.  Sounds like a dipshit who benches 1 plate wrote this.  Try it with 3 plus plates a side and you'll understand.

Weakling.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2012, 04:52:48 PM »
 :D

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2012, 04:58:47 PM »

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2012, 07:27:33 PM »
so what is it now, are saturated fats bad now or not?

when you melt cheese or butter till its fluid, it turns from saturated into unsaturated fat, but isnt it still the same thing?

and sure it depend with what else the fats are consumed.

no way eating cookies is healthy, theres no way.

saturated fat is ultra healthy...

saturated means stable (ionically)... monounsaturated is also good (bonds during digestion and becomes stable), polyunsaturated should be consumed in small amounts from non-vegetable sources but beware hydrogenated polyunsaturated fats (aka trans fats)... they're lethal

one thing above all... fat is not fat

the fats we eat are lipids

lipids are used by the human organism for a number of vital processes

the calories from lipids can be stored in the body's fat cells but they are not preferentially stored... excess carbohydrates play that roll

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2012, 07:31:50 PM »
One of my favorite words is "Statutory".

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2012, 06:03:38 AM »
One of my favorite words is "Statutory".

holiday
rape
declaration
instruments
interpretation
duties
in nature
funding
obligations
requirement
homelessness
nuisance