Author Topic: Bill Maher: Does Fox News Know What Media Bias Is?  (Read 764 times)

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
Bill Maher: Does Fox News Know What Media Bias Is?
« on: November 01, 2012, 04:01:22 PM »
Found this interesting because, just the other day, someone on here called Bill Maher biased.

If there's one drum the right wing likes to bang it's the one about the "liberal media", which, by law, must appear in every right-wing editorial or come out of the mouths of every Fox News and radio show pundit at least four times a day or Rupert Murdoch strips you of your wingnut accreditation.

Claiming "liberal bias" is like a tick. If you make up a scandal and it doesn't get reported to your satisfaction, it's not because the whole Solyndra thing was a great big guy, it's because the liberal media is protecting the president. If Sarah Palin says something stupid and it gets reported, it's not because Sarah Palin said something stupid. It's because the liberal media has it out for strong conservative women who quit their jobs and do nothing for years.

And to this end, Fox News' website now has this thing called "BIAS ALERT." And each day, in bright red letters, they post some example of what they think is "liberal bias."

Except there's only one small problem: it's almost never an example of media bias. What they seem to have uncovered is that ...grab hold of something ...not everyone is a Republican.

Take this effort about Andrew Sullivan:

"BIAS ALERT: Pundit Warns Of Romney's 'Global War'"

Daily Beast columnist Andrew Sullivan warns that Romney will launch 'new global war' if elected

...Yes, Andrew Sullivan is not a fan of Mitt Romney. But how is this evidence of media bias? Andrew Sullivan is not a reporter. He's a blogger and columnist. He's not held to some standard where he's not allowed to be partisan, or to express his personal views. That's what he does. It's like saying Charles Krauthammer is biased. The bit might as well be called "PEOPLE WHO SAY THINGS WE DON'T LIKE."

Other recent recipients of Fox’s "BIAS ALERT" include David Letterman, whose monologues are apparently bound by the standards of fair journalism, and Mother Jones, the liberal magazine that busted Romney on his 47% comments. How dare they not agree with Mitt Romney on everything, and then say so?

This is almost sort of refreshing. Because it means that 95% of the time we have to sit through some wingnut screeching about liberal media bias, they don't actually understand who is actually bound to a standard of journalism (journalists) and who isn't (everyone else). They're just upset that people exist outside their bubble and they don't believe the same things they do.

So to recap: reality is now evidence of media bias. And so are people with opinions.

If there's one drum the right wing likes to bang it's the one about the "liberal media", which, by law, must appear in every right-wing editorial or come out of the mouths of every Fox News and radio show pundit at least four times a day or Rupert Murdoch strips you of your wingnut accreditation.

Claiming "liberal bias" is like a tick. If you make up a scandal and it doesn't get reported to your satisfaction, it's not because the whole Solyndra thing was a great big guy, it's because the liberal media is protecting the president. If Sarah Palin says something stupid and it gets reported, it's not because Sarah Palin said something stupid. It's because the liberal media has it out for strong conservative women who quit their jobs and do nothing for years.

And to this end, Fox News' website now has this thing called "BIAS ALERT." And each day, in bright red letters, they post some example of what they think is "liberal bias."

Except there's only one small problem: it's almost never an example of media bias. What they seem to have uncovered is that ...grab hold of something ...not everyone is a Republican.

Take this effort about Andrew Sullivan:

"BIAS ALERT: Pundit Warns Of Romney's 'Global War'"

Daily Beast columnist Andrew Sullivan warns that Romney will launch 'new global war' if elected

...Yes, Andrew Sullivan is not a fan of Mitt Romney. But how is this evidence of media bias? Andrew Sullivan is not a reporter. He's a blogger and columnist. He's not held to some standard where he's not allowed to be partisan, or to express his personal views. That's what he does. It's like saying Charles Krauthammer is biased. The bit might as well be called "PEOPLE WHO SAY THINGS WE DON'T LIKE."

Other recent recipients of Fox’s "BIAS ALERT" include David Letterman, whose monologues are apparently bound by the standards of fair journalism, and Mother Jones, the liberal magazine that busted Romney on his 47% comments. How dare they not agree with Mitt Romney on everything, and then say so?

This is almost sort of refreshing. Because it means that 95% of the time we have to sit through some wingnut screeching about liberal media bias, they don't actually understand who is actually bound to a standard of journalism (journalists) and who isn't (everyone else). They're just upset that people exist outside their bubble and they don't believe the same things they do.

So to recap: reality is now evidence of media bias. And so are people with opinions.

http://www.real-time-with-bill-maher-blog.com/real-time-with-bill-maher-blog/2012/11/1/does-fox-news-know-what-media-bias-is.html
G

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Bill Maher: Does Fox News Know What Media Bias Is?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 04:03:29 PM »
you really shouldnt post things from mahr when talking about bias...

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 04:11:39 PM »
Bill Mahr has never said 1 thing good about a repub or 1 bad thing about a dem.

This my man is big time bias.

msnbc is got obama back 24/7 network

cnn is democrat news network

fox is moderate, its just that to people conditioned to lefty luncy they appear to go against the grain

right!!

america is not a lefty loony bin

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 04:51:14 PM »
you really shouldnt post things from mahr when talking about bias...
Did you read it?

That was the whole point.
G

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 04:52:47 PM »

fox is moderate, its just that to people conditioned to lefty luncy they appear to go against the grain

::)

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 04:54:31 PM »

right!!

Do you think there is a war on religion in America right now?
G

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »

right!!

Someone got dropped on their head a few times when they were a baby :D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 05:03:16 PM »

right!!

LOL - Fox is the media arm of the Romney campaign and Maher has Repubs on his show EVERY week

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 07:12:19 PM »
LOL - Fox is the media arm of the Romney campaign and he also has Repubs on his show EVERY week

Do we really need to rehash the "Who is on Who's Side" argument?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 07:14:32 PM »
Do we really need to rehash the "Who is on Who's Side" argument?

I corrected my typo

does it make more sense now?

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 07:19:12 PM »
I corrected my typo

does it make more sense now?

It certainly does.

Maher is still an ignorant, braying, blowhard jackass, though.

I still like what he has to say sometimes.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 07:21:53 PM »
It certainly does.

yep he make a lot of money doing so

just like Rush, or Hannity, O'Reilly and B/C team roster

only difference is that he is an actual comedian and never pretends to be otherwise

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 09:40:39 PM »
yep he make a lot of money doing so

just like Rush, or Hannity, O'Reilly and B/C team roster

only difference is that he is an actual comedian and never pretends to be otherwise
This.
G

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »
they're all biased - which is fine.  They're all privately owned companies and can cover polar bears, embassy attacks, spring break titty flukes, or romney's pet care if they choose.  

They pick what will be profitable with their viewers.  FOX viewers will turn off 30 minutes of Romney flip flops, while msnbc viewers will jerk off to it.   MSNCB viewers feel ill when they see embassy attack coverage, while fox viewers do pushup wearing their Palin shirts.  

Nothing wrong with the channels picking topics their viewers want.     This is America - capitalist society.  I'd fear any country where the govt controls channels.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 09:49:40 PM »
they're all biased - which is fine.  They're all privately owned companies and can cover polar bears, embassy attacks, spring break titty flukes, or romney's pet care if they choose.  

They pick what will be profitable with their viewers.  FOX viewers will turn off 30 minutes of Romney flip flops, while msnbc viewers will jerk off to it.   MSNCB viewers feel ill when they see embassy attack coverage, while fox viewers do pushup wearing their Palin shirts.  

Nothing wrong with the channels picking topics their viewers want.     This is America - capitalist society.  I'd fear any country where the govt controls channels.
WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
G

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 09:59:34 PM »
imagine if we cried about this 'media bias' in other areas.

"I'm really pissed BET doesn't play more Toby Keith, I think they're completely biased".   No, their viewers don't like country.

"I'm really pissed the Military Channel doesn't address quiltwork more often".  No, their viewers wipe their ass with quiltwork.  Viewers want to see shit blown up!

seriously, it's just another channel.  And you don't get mad when "Guns n Ammo" magazine doesn't talk about the latest iphone... why do you get mad when NYTimes doesn't talk about the political issues you want?

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 10:32:13 PM »
imagine if we cried about this 'media bias' in other areas.

"I'm really pissed BET doesn't play more Toby Keith, I think they're completely biased".   No, their viewers don't like country.

"I'm really pissed the Military Channel doesn't address quiltwork more often".  No, their viewers wipe their ass with quiltwork.  Viewers want to see shit blown up!

seriously, it's just another channel.  And you don't get mad when "Guns n Ammo" magazine doesn't talk about the latest iphone... why do you get mad when NYTimes doesn't talk about the political issues you want?

Good points,you seem to take in info,filter it,and come to your own conclusion. Not like some of these guys lib that conserve this neither one is gonna be 100% right all the time. so take it all with a grain a salt,filter it, and make an honest assment of it

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 10:35:29 PM »
It certainly does.

and just what is Rush Limbaugh???

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 10:38:01 PM »
Cable news should come with a disclaimer (FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY).

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 10:45:46 PM »