Author Topic: NYC marathon still on, all that wasted energy not going into the recovery  (Read 5789 times)

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
The NYC marathon bring in about $340 million each year

http://www.businessinsider.com/lets-look-at-all-the-ways-the-marathon-brings-money-to-nyc-2012-11

The simplest reason for allowing  Sunday's New York City Marathon to proceed is that it brings in a lot of money.

The race is worth $340 million each year, according to a 2010 study commissioned from consulting firm AECOM by the race's organizers, the New York Road Runners club.

The analysis surveyed 1,000 participants in the Marathon, and assessed their spending in categories such as hotel, travel, entertainment and retail.

The 2010 race drew 45,350 participants, 2 million spectators, and a television reach of 315 million worldwide.

Runners alone spent $1,800 over the course of the weekend.

If you average four guests per runner, you get $326+ million.

The race also yields direct tax revenues of between $10.8 to $11.2 million.

And it provides $24.3 million to NYC charities.

But with airports having shut down this week, the $340 million figure is likely already compromised.

Meanwhile, Sports Marketing Frontiers estimates ING paid more than $4 million to sponsor the marathon.

David Carter, executive director of the University of Southern California's Sports Business Institute, told us there was no way of knowing what kind of penalty the city would incur to ING if it canceled.

He added that too much time would have elapsed for any force majeure clause in the sponsorship deal to have been invoked.

"If the storm rolled through today, many would believe there was no way to run it," he said. "Whereas some now believe the run could go off, that there is maybe sufficient time to make an informed decision, and that it was not part of act of god."

There's also a third party with millions at stake.

The New York Road Runner's club is the official organizer of the race. Its annual revenue is approximately $55 million, of which the marathon is the biggest revenue driver, according to Fox News.

In an interview with CNBC, NYRR CEO Mary Wittenberg said the race now represents something larger.

"It’s no longer a run in any shape or form. It’s only about helping the city of New York on the road to recovery."

The race will start on Staten Island at 9:10 am on Sunday.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/lets-look-at-all-the-ways-the-marathon-brings-money-to-nyc-2012-11#ixzz2B6XYnmiO

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
NYC has $$$ billions. They need people, equipment, man power, stuff.  Money is not the answer right now.
a

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Its canceled
X

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
What the?, this thread is pure stupidity. Why would they not go ahead with it? each person has over a thousand hours invested into it, you expect them to not do it, this is the type of stuff that lifts up spirits, when everyone else is bitter, this is encouragement and beneficial.

I ran a marathon 4 years ago and it was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, unbelievable how mentally tough these runners are.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
Sunday's New York City marathon has been called off in the aftermath of the super storm Sandy, Mayor Michael Bloomberg has announced.

He said in a statement: "We would not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants, and so we have decided to cancel it."

Plans to press ahead with the race had prompted uproar from politicians in cyclone-ravaged parts of the city.

More than 90 US deaths, over 40 of them in New York, have been blamed on Sandy.

Across the US East Coast, some 3.5 million homes and businesses - 1.2 million in New York state alone - still have no electricity, four days after the storm made landfall.

Mayor Bloomberg said in his statement: "While holding the race would not require diverting resources from the recovery effort, it is clear that it has become the source of controversy and division."

Time-lapse footage shows Sandy's passage over New York City - Footage courtesy New York Times
He added: "We cannot allow a controversy over an athletic event - even one as meaningful as this - to distract attention away from all the critically important work that is being done to recover from the storm and get our city back on track."

It was not immediately clear if the race would be rescheduled for another date.

Elected officials representing Staten Island were among the harshest critics of Mayor Bloomberg's earlier statements that the race would go ahead.

"We're still pulling bodies out of the water and the mayor is worried about marathon runners and returning to life as normal," US Representative Michael Grimm, who represents the island and part of Brooklyn, told CNN.

"The Verrazano Bridge should be used for getting fuel and food in to Staten Island, not getting runners out. Police resources would be best allocated to prevent looting and in rescue and recovery operations."

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Re: Should the NY Marathon be cancelled?
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2012, 03:03:45 PM »
Mayor Bloomberg pussied out.  Life goes on can't let the terrorsits (storm) win. 

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
my words have the powers to shake modern cities it seems
A

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2012, 03:09:10 PM »
Sunday's New York City marathon has been called off in the aftermath of the super storm Sandy, Mayor Michael Bloomberg has announced.

He said in a statement: "We would not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants, and so we have decided to cancel it."

Plans to press ahead with the race had prompted uproar from politicians in cyclone-ravaged parts of the city.

More than 90 US deaths, over 40 of them in New York, have been blamed on Sandy.

Across the US East Coast, some 3.5 million homes and businesses - 1.2 million in New York state alone - still have no electricity, four days after the storm made landfall.

Mayor Bloomberg said in his statement: "While holding the race would not require diverting resources from the recovery effort, it is clear that it has become the source of controversy and division."

Time-lapse footage shows Sandy's passage over New York City - Footage courtesy New York Times
He added: "We cannot allow a controversy over an athletic event - even one as meaningful as this - to distract attention away from all the critically important work that is being done to recover from the storm and get our city back on track."

It was not immediately clear if the race would be rescheduled for another date.

Elected officials representing Staten Island were among the harshest critics of Mayor Bloomberg's earlier statements that the race would go ahead.

"We're still pulling bodies out of the water and the mayor is worried about marathon runners and returning to life as normal," US Representative Michael Grimm, who represents the island and part of Brooklyn, told CNN.

"The Verrazano Bridge should be used for getting fuel and food in to Staten Island, not getting runners out. Police resources would be best allocated to prevent looting and in rescue and recovery operations."

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2012, 03:09:38 PM »
There will be less stupid fffuuckss with the "26.2" stickers on their cars!

Haha yes

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2012, 03:18:55 PM »
I understand the appeal of sports--to a degree.  I do not understand it to the degree evident in the US. I'd much rather play a sport (any sport--even one I've never played before or have no skill at) than watch it on TV or from the sidelines.  I guess it's just a difference in personality type.  I also do not understand the hopelessly fat and out of shape men who are dedicated sports fans... spending their time, money, on attending sporting events, buying magazines, and photographing athletes as if their lives depended on it.  One sees this in the world of bodybuilding a lot.  Strange.  :-\

That's good to know.  This thread was about you, so it's nice of you to talk about yourself
Y

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2012, 04:29:33 PM »
Newmom is doing a $5 blow job marathon special.
P

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2012, 04:30:55 PM »
Isn't this the marathon newmom usually runs in? 

Just more pussyfication of america and our 1st world problems. 

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
This cougar was almost in tears in tonight's  Inside Edition because the major was thinking about marathon while there's tragedy all over the place..... "This is not political, this is AMERICA........ then urging VOTERS to make a change next week.

Later we found out it has been called off.

WOOOSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

And "Would you hit?"

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: NYC marathon still on, all that wasted energy not going into the recovery
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2012, 08:59:01 AM »
should have cancelled it the day after the storm. People are still without power, some maybe trapped, bodies still being pulled out, major destruction in many areas... wtf people..a marathon...really?? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2012, 09:16:21 AM »
should have cancelled it the day after the storm. People are still without power, some maybe trapped, bodies still being pulled out, major destruction in many areas... wtf people..a marathon...really?? 

NYC is leftist looney tune land, what else you expect? 

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2012, 04:43:13 PM »
NYC is leftist looney tune land, what else you expect? 

A city that allowed a mayor to buy himself a 3rd term. Crazy :-\

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2012, 05:01:26 PM »
A city that allowed a mayor to buy himself a 3rd term. Crazy :-\

Allow? Like the people of NYC could have done anything anyway.

In this world:

Politicians/Money > Regular people
X

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2012, 05:57:42 PM »
Allow? Like the people of NYC could have done anything anyway.

In this world:

Politicians/Money > Regular people
X3.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
What the?, this thread is pure stupidity. Why would they not go ahead with it? each person has over a thousand hours invested into it, you expect them to not do it, this is the type of stuff that lifts up spirits, when everyone else is bitter, this is encouragement and beneficial.

I ran a marathon 4 years ago and it was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, unbelievable how mentally tough these runners are.

you ran a full marathon? if so... RESPECT

even when i was a hardcore runner the futherest i ever ran was about 12 miles, and i hated every mile of it >:(

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2012, 06:11:08 AM »
why dont they see who can shovel out the most water in the subway or rebuild the most houses
this country and world is truly ILL with there priorities

i sit back and laugh as a falcon because im doing and ive done my part
A

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2012, 06:18:37 AM »
why dont they see who can shovel out the most water in the subway or rebuild the most houses
this country and world is truly ILL with there priorities

i sit back and laugh as a falcon because im doing and ive done my part

don't worry about others brother, just focus on yourself and be the best that you can be

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2012, 06:20:23 AM »
don't worry about others brother, just focus on yourself and be the best that you can be

i cant really be the best i can be with others failing so miserably

im not a power monger or greedy guy

but i am racist and hateful of stupidity
A

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2012, 06:25:43 AM »
here is the answer. however this level of resolve can only be seen in strong self reliant white people, so NYC is fucked.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2012, 08:23:59 AM »
I walked 100km through mountainous National parks here in Melbourne for the Annual Oxfam Trailwalker.
V

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2012, 08:44:41 AM »
I walked 100km through mountainous National parks here in Melbourne for the Annual Oxfam Trailwalker.

from incomplete data