Author Topic: Under Obama - Food stamp growth 75x greater than growth in Jobs  (Read 3484 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Under Obama - Food stamp growth 75x greater than growth in Jobs
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »
The economy "recovering" means food stamp usage, as well as other forms of government assistance, increase?

I would hate to see the economy start to regress.

Food stamp usage went up every year of the Bush Administration even when UE was low and there was no economic crisis.

I suspect it's more correlated with shrinking middle class and with blue collar jobs being shipped overseas than with a temporary downturn in the economy, though  a downturn would obviously exacerbate the problem

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 07:24:02 PM »
i'm 36, it was a long time back.  We got them for a brief time as a kid, when I was very young.  I remember buying milk with em.  We got WIC too, that rocked, we loved when the 'milkman' dropped off KIX cereal and milk and cheese.  that was maybe 1981, 1983?

I'm 39. So, I know how you feel. I ate a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, as a kid. And that blasted government peanut butter would always separate and have the oil soak right through the partially-cardboard, partially-metal container.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 07:28:03 PM »
So you support food stamps?

Yep, provided they are used as TEMPORARY assistance, not a way to indefinitely subsidize the lazy.

About as much as he supports a womans right to choose whether to have a abortion or not

Once again, you misinterpret what I've said. As stated earlier, I don't remember my mother being on welfare/food stamps for any longer than a few months (six months, tops). My mother worked multiple jobs, if needed, to put me through school. Heck, she even learned how to drive a semi-tractor trailer.

And, this was in an era where female truckers were rare and BLACK female truckers were almost non-existent.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 08:09:02 PM »
Yep, provided they are used as TEMPORARY assistance, not a way to indefinitely subsidize the lazy.

Once again, you misinterpret what I've said. As stated earlier, I don't remember my mother being on welfare/food stamps for any longer than a few months (six months, tops). My mother worked multiple jobs, if needed, to put me through school. Heck, she even learned how to drive a semi-tractor trailer.

And, this was in an era where female truckers were rare and BLACK female truckers were almost non-existent.

I had no idea what your position was on food stamps and I was just giving you shit since I figured you would tow the party line on the subject

please note - I said nothing about you personally, your mother, etc.. regarding your actual use of food stamps

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 08:17:12 PM »
I had no idea what your position was on food stamps and I was just giving you shit since I figured you would tow the party line on the subject

please note - I said nothing about you personally, your mother, etc.. regarding your actual use of food stamps

I never accused you of such. But, I also don't recall any party line of being against food stamps. There's a difference between someone using them to get over the hump, until they get a job and someone (otherwise of sound mind and body) living off them indefinitely, in lieu of working.

On a lighter note, PB&J (along with a carrot) became a staple lunch for me, because my private school didn't serve school lunches. When times were really tough and I couldn't bring even that to school, the principal/9th-grade teacher and his wife (5th-8th grade teacher) would bring potatoes for kids who didn't have lunches to eat.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 01:50:13 AM »

How is 200$ gonna make life easy on the lazy?

Its peanuts you idiot!!

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 04:58:33 AM »
Is it true that the gov't cheese was hardly edible?  Like almost impossible to get it to melt?

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 06:57:39 AM »
Food stamp usage went up every year of the Bush Administration even when UE was low and there was no economic crisis.

I suspect it's more correlated with shrinking middle class and with blue collar jobs being shipped overseas than with a temporary downturn in the economy, though  a downturn would obviously exacerbate the problem

I agree.

There is a much, much larger problem afoot.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 08:29:58 AM »
How is 200$ gonna make life easy on the lazy?

Its peanuts you idiot!!

If it's "peanuts", when why weren't people getting off their butts and getting jobs, until Clinton and the Republicans passed welfare reform?

I grew up around people who lived off these "peanuts" for years on end.

Plus, the point, which you clearly missed (perhaps in your own idiocy) is that their use is supposed to be TEMPORARY.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »
Is it true that the gov't cheese was hardly edible?  Like almost impossible to get it to melt?

It would melt on the inside. But, the outside would have this skin or film that seemingly just wouldn't break, no matter how hot it got.

;D

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 01:25:09 PM »
If it's "peanuts", when why weren't people getting off their butts and getting jobs, until Clinton and the Republicans passed welfare reform?

I grew up around people who lived off these "peanuts" for years on end.

Plus, the point, which you clearly missed (perhaps in your own idiocy) is that their use is supposed to be TEMPORARY.

How do you live of 200 a month?

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 03:08:26 PM »
How do you live of 200 a month?

That was a long time ago when the cost of living was lower.

You're also forgetting about the plethora of other govt. subsidy programs available for all manner of things.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 01:42:22 AM »
That was a long time ago when the cost of living was lower.

You're also forgetting about the plethora of other govt. subsidy programs available for all manner of things.

Sounds like you envy the people on welfare?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 05:39:50 AM »
It would melt on the inside. But, the outside would have this skin or film that seemingly just wouldn't break, no matter how hot it got.

;D

How did you eat it then?

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »
Sounds like you envy the people on welfare?

No, I prefer to work and earn a living.

I was just stating what I thought was obvious.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2012, 02:05:55 PM »
How did you eat it then?

Imagine eating Cheez-Wiz through Saran Wrap.

You'll be amazed at what you're able to eat when you are basically po'.

;D

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 01:06:08 PM »
Imagine eating Cheez-Wiz through Saran Wrap.

You'll be amazed at what you're able to eat when you are basically po'.

;D

That's nasty.  I have seen people at the stadium eating Cheez-Wiz and mayo on Saltine crackers.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 01:55:28 PM »
No, I prefer to work and earn a living.

I was just stating what I thought was obvious.

Not really

You claim people is on welfare by choice

Unless you are a total loser how are you gonna make it on 400$ a month?