Author Topic: How do i start my own bodybuilding supplement store  (Read 22166 times)

bigstacks

• Getbig II
  • Bam!! You like that?
How do i start my own bodybuilding supplement store
« on: November 28, 2005, 04:12:38 AM »
Hi guys i want to start a bodybuilding supplement store in my town as there is only one health food store that sell some product but not a great range. What we wanted to do is to get a good range and also stock equipment and books. If anyone could give some good advice it would be appreciated.
Chefy was here

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
Re: How do i start my own bodybuilding supplement store
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 08:59:13 AM »
If you're in a large enough metro area start searching for some distribution companies first, do your price and market research before you start putting together a model for what kind of store you're going to run. Do you want to specialize in more BB-friendly products? Keep in mind places like GNC or vitamin shoppe get the most traffic because they have the most mainstream products. People like us who come in looking for Sesalean or GF Pro probably aren't going to be a huge market unless you can build up a pretty loyal customer base right away. You may be able to work out of your home initially if you want to start small and keep your expenses down. Either way there's a lot to compare and research before you make some decisions on which way you want to go.

240 or bust

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 09:09:10 AM »
you get a website for only 300 bucks at www.300website.com :)

Making it a click-and-mortar store- doing online sales as well as a local store- allow you to compete in two markets with little additional overhead.

Ryder

• Getbig I
  • Pimp juice in check...
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 09:20:33 AM »
Check reviews on suppliments and see what people actually buy and what you think the meople in your town would buy... then just make sure you stock it... also appreance is very important put Arnold abd Ronnie up all over the store so people know your for real and you have a tight appearance.. Just a thought
Be a Playmaker!

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 12:23:22 PM »
 Call Max Muscle....then be ready to caugh up 75K to use their name  ;D
just not good enough

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 12:28:30 PM »
Bump for any good info.

I want to add a small supplement store to my gym so I also looking for information/ideas.

Thanks in advance :-*

Jasyon77

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 02:53:17 PM »
You can also contact the supplement companies directly, save some money cutting the distributors out of the picture.  Most companies will work with the retailers directly and some won't even ask you for a big P.O.  As long as you promote their product, they will support YOU.  You can ask for samples and pricing information, they will probably ask you for your business plan.    If you have good credit, you can work on terms.

Jay5683

• Getbig III
  • Keep hope alive Craig
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 02:55:43 PM »
you get a website for only 300 bucks at www.300website.com :)

Making it a click-and-mortar store- doing online sales as well as a local store- allow you to compete in two markets with little additional overhead.

lol setup your store not a website, there is to much competition for internet supplements.  You don't know the first thing about sending bulk mail and adding rates to prices.  Plus I will give you Front Page for free.
fk pigdunkbell

g0ddang

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 03:43:24 PM »
oh man.
you actually think people are actually going to give you any advise as to start your own supplement store?.. this just means more competition and less business for them. sorry buddy, but it looks like your on your own here.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 07:16:00 PM »
More competition in another town, where there isn't a bb store ::)

240 or bust

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 11:28:34 PM »
lol setup your store not a website, there is to much competition for internet supplements. You don't know the first thing about sending bulk mail and adding rates to prices. Plus I will give you Front Page for free.

If the goal is a click-and-mortar store (online sales in addition to a real location), a website can be a great way to serve both worldwide, as well as local customers.   You win a customer ONCE in person, and you give them convenience of online ordering FOREVER, which reduces your operating costs.  Eventually, you can auto-bill them for regular stuff, and if you ever have to close the store, you'll still have residual income from those that order online.

Bulk mailing is not smart.  It's the shotgun approach- blast away and hope you hit a customer.  Return on investment is low.

Better to use your time/money wisely- the rifle approach. Spend a little MORE on those customers MORE likely to reciprocate and shop with you.  Like, spend time at gyms, health food stores, at the produce aisle, old folks retirement homes, hospitals, cancer wards, bball courts... you see what I'm getting at? You can throw flyers all over main street but you'll get better success by having a nice conversation with someone you run into in the vitamin aisle at walmart, ya know?  And since you're not mailing crappy papers to 100,000 houses, you can spend a few bucks on 200-300 reallllly nice brochures about your new company that will scream class and prestige.

Bigstacks-  hit me at ciscorob5@aol.com is you want.  I have a masters in business and creating hype/buzz is something I enjoy.  Website, business ideas, flyers, business cards... $300 :)

Hit me up, brother.   I love this stuff.  Rob

www.fallshineband.com
www.300website.com

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 12:25:15 AM »
Bulk Mail + money back guarantee + good marketing = profit.

Hint:  Very few people actually return goods for money back.  Money back guarantees grease the wheels though.

the_Hater

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • here to hate.
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 06:53:49 AM »
lol setup your store not a website, there is to much competition for internet supplements.  You don't know the first thing about sending bulk mail and adding rates to prices.  Plus I will give you Front Page for free.
omg, you just owned this fat retard again, for the 100000000th time.

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 08:48:22 AM »

Hint:  Very few people actually return goods for money back.  Money back guarantees grease the wheels though.

Yep, and even if they do a lot of times large companies can earn enough interest on the money they receive for a product once its in the bank to compensate for any expense of having to return money for a returned product a month later. Seems kind of shady if you ask me though.  :-\

On the other hand here I don't know that I would would do a bulk mailer for a supplement store though. Direct mail in general only has something like a 2% "return" rate. You'd be better off focusing on certain areas, gym crowds etc. I don't think there's anything wrong w/ starting small. Most large gym chains won't let you set up advertising/samples inside if they're selling their own supps., but some of the privately owned gyms might let you if you can work out some cross-promotional ideas, etc.

bigstacks

• Getbig II
  • Bam!! You like that?
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 05:35:20 AM »
Hi guys thanks for the response, I will take the advice on board and try to go forward from there, but like anything i will be doing a lot more research. i just think that this will work as there is only two health food shop in my area and they only have a very small bb sup set up and then the closes one from there is about over 200km away. from what i can see there is a need for it. What my idea is to do is et up an internet site but also have a shop front, where i want to not only sell bb sups, but training equipment eg belts, wraps, training books and dvd ect, also some power lifting gear as well. I've got some great ideas, i want it to be the one stop shop. So if there is any bb sup distributer out there with any advice it would be greatly appreciated and by the way im in Austarlia so if there is a lot of room for inprovment on the sup scene.
ONCE AGAIN THANKS GUYS
BIGSTACKS
Chefy was here

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 05:16:54 PM »
Hi guys i want to start a bodybuilding supplement store in my town as there is only one health food store that sell some product but not a great range. What we wanted to do is to get a good range and also stock equipment and books. If anyone could give some good advice it would be appreciated.

Hi BigStacks,

There are alot of considerations you need to take into account before you run out and start your own store, ...one of which is if there is a large enough demand in your area to support it. Just because there isn't a store now, doesn't mean there is a need for one. Whether there are enough consumers of the types of products you intend to stock in your general vicinity to support such an endeavor is key. Personally, I'm not into the "traditional" brick n' mortar business, ...I've found it too limiting relative to the freedoms and opportunities for global expansion that exist in newer, more innovative business models. Your clientele is restricted to a particular vicinity, and the overhead, paperwork etc., can be a nightmare. You might find it ends up owning you rather than the other way around. If however, that's the route you want to go, ...feel free to PM me and we can talk.

Hope That Helps,
w

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 06:12:42 PM »
Hi BigStacks,

There are alot of considerations you need to take into account before you run out and start your own store, ...one of which is if there is a large enough demand in your area to support it. Just because there isn't a store now, doesn't mean there is a need for one. Whether there are enough consumers of the types of products you intend to stock in your general vicinity to support such an endeavor is key. Personally, I'm not into the "traditional" brick n' mortar business, ...I've found it too limiting relative to the freedoms and opportunities for global expansion that exist in newer, more innovative business models. Your clientele is restricted to a particular vicinity, and the overhead, paperwork etc., can be a nightmare. You might find it ends up owning you rather than the other way around. If however, that's the route you want to go, ...feel free to PM me and we can talk.

Hope That Helps,

There is the Hook

now all we need is the...

Line and the Sinker

right Jag  ;)

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 09:05:24 AM »
As someone else mentioned you need to compare prices between distribution centers or working directly thru companies themselves like EAS, MET-RX etc.....

A Distribution center will let you order bare bones but have a slight upcharge for housing the supps where direct companies will offer better deals but make you order more...

Get a small 500 Square foot store, sign a very short lease and let the chips fall. Be aware that an average business will NOT see a profit for the first 2-3 years so you better have enough money in reserve to sustain your own bills.

If worse comes to worse you close shop and sell all your inventory on here or Ebay...

Feel free to PM me with any other Biz quesitons

Jay5683

• Getbig III
  • Keep hope alive Craig
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 09:09:41 AM »
Hire some strippes do work the counter, fuck the bodybuilder guest apperance!
fk pigdunkbell

quadz

• Getbig I
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 10:07:29 PM »
This is an old thread but I am bumping it to see if any of the original posters are still using this site. I am new here and have this same interest in mind.
Quadz

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 03:24:14 PM »
This is an old thread but I am bumping it to see if any of the original posters are still using this site. I am new here and have this same interest in mind.
Quadz

I'm still here.  Economy is not strong enough to open a supplement store.  Supps are price elastic

quadz

• Getbig I
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 04:39:34 PM »
Thanks bro. Check my email and send me a PM so I can ask you some things.

akers1021

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • "Big arms and delts dont make you a bodybuilder"
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 12:56:45 PM »
Call Max Muscle....then be ready to caugh up 75K to use their name  ;D

Try between 155k and 285K by the time the build out and marketing,setup,training, first months inv,etc... is done.  They also steer you away from going into malls where ALL the traffic is. 
I am actually going through the process with a guy that is backing me in the investment...

I am about to turn a 180 on these guys, reading through this disclosure document there are some weird fees...like 500 bucks for a replacement POS register manual....for a damn book..

I have been in the supplement industry for 10 years. Was an Area Manager for a bir retailer and some of the fees are ludicrous...

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 06:43:38 PM »
YOU'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO COMPETE W/ONLINE DISTRIBUTORS.
I am a big baby

quadz

• Getbig I
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 09:55:09 PM »
Ordinarily I would feel the same way, yet the local mom-and-pop's are still in business, and so is our local GNC, so somewhere, somehow, people are still hand-picking enough supplements to sutain the brick-and-mortars. In my opinion, the online sites now offer so much it's hard to make a wise selection (several dozen brands or more, clothing, magazines, etc). Even I would rather ask the guy behind the counter if the Halo is worth a damn or not before I buy it instead of blindly ordering it online..
Does this make any sense to you guys?