Author Topic: Non-Union workers turned away  (Read 1027 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Non-Union workers turned away
« on: November 02, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »
http://www.waff.com/story/19981857/some-nonunion-ala-crews-turned-away-from-sandy-recovery

SEASIDE HEIGHTS, NEW JERSEY (WAFF) -

The hurricane-ravaged east coast has been receiving north Alabama help, but crews learned they could not help out in New Jersey unless they affiliated with a union.
SLIDESHOW

Utility crews volunteer for Sandy
Utility crews volunteered with Sandy recovery. See photos.

A six man crew from Decatur Utilities headed up there this week, but Derrick Moore, one of the Decatur workers, said they were told by crews in New Jersey that they can't do any work there since they're not union employees.

The general manager of Decatur Utilities, Ray Hardin told Fox Business they were presented documents from the International Brotherhood of Electric Workers at a staging area in Virginia. The documents stated they had to affiliate with a union to work, which the crews could not agree to.

Hardin said the crews were not turned away but were made to believe that affiliating with the union was a requirement to work.

"It was and remains our understanding that agreeing to those requirements was a condition of being allowed to work in those areas," said Hardin.

As they waited for confirmation on the documents, crews received word that Seaside Heights had received the assistance they needed from other sources.

They attempted to look for work in other areas but because a resolution could not be reached, they made the decision late Thursday night to return home.

Moore said they're frustrated being told "thanks, but no thanks."

Huntsville Utilities said they were not turned away and are in Long Island, New York working.

Joe Wheeler EMC said they did not respond to New Jersey, but did go up to Maryland and headed home once they were done.

POB

• Getbig IV
Re: Non-Union workers turned away
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 03:01:25 PM »
Coach if you have a surplus of clients can I train them on your floor for free and keep the training fee?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 03:19:41 PM »
the only thing worse than unions are not having any

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 03:31:52 PM »

Exactly

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 03:50:01 PM »

I totally agree

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »

BS...if you have a disaster in your neighborhood and people are desperate for help, why should it make a difference who helps?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 04:24:19 PM »
BS...if you have a disaster in your neighborhood and people are desperate for help, why should it make a difference who helps?

Often after there is a disaster of this magnitude,  scammers show up to rip off people. I am not saying that non-union workers are all scammers and flakes, but some checks and balances should be in place to protect the innocent victims from scam artists.

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 04:38:47 PM »
^ they show up to get a quick payday,over charge for materials/time they use,and then do Mickey Mouse work that often fails after a few months and requires the REAL workers to redo the work, hence requiring the company or organization to pay twice for the same job. That's why they are called scabs and the reason most of them are not in a union is because they have felonies or can't pass a drug test...is that who you want working on your power lines?

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 04:40:10 PM »

Coach if you have a surplus of clients can I train them on your floor for free and keep the training fee?

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 05:24:02 PM »
Often after there is a disaster of this magnitude,  scammers show up to rip off people. I am not saying that non-union workers are all scammers and flakes, but some checks and balances should be in place to protect the innocent victims from scam artists.

Bam!  Prime is your worse nightmare, coach.
A

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 05:32:03 PM »

Were these workers properly vetted, ID'd etc? Like, were they scheduled to be there or did they just show up?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 05:34:16 PM »
Did ANYONE read the entire article in the link? ::)
:

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 06:14:08 PM »

I 100% agree

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 06:18:13 PM »
Did ANYONE read the entire article in the link? ::)

They couldn't be bothered to read something.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 06:49:26 PM »

I appreciate the consideration, but we can protect ourselves. 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 07:26:11 PM »
They couldn't be bothered to read something.

Had anyone INCLUDING the OP been bothered to actually READ and COMPREHEND the posted article, they would, maybe, have an opinion worthy of discussion.
:

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 07:51:08 PM »

Had anyone INCLUDING the OP been bothered to actually READ and COMPREHEND the posted article, they would, maybe, have an opinion worthy of discussion.

Reading the article would infer a sort of virtual paperwork that may or may not be required to be "read over, filled out and signed" prior to reading the article and i don't know if i am willing to do that.  So no more comments regarding such.  :)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 09:53:27 PM »

OK, so here is what it says in the link you posted, Princess:

Bottom line, it appears now that Decatur Utilities wrongly assumed they would have to agree to the union contract before traveling to New Jersey to help with recovery efforts. The IBEW said in times of crisis, help is welcomed from union and non-union utility workers.

What would you like to discuss? How about the fact that your thread title reads like a FOX News lead in?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 05:48:22 AM »
OK, so here is what it says in the link you posted, Princess:

What would you like to discuss? How about the fact that your thread title reads like a FOX News lead in?

I'd agree with you, but it's NOT MY thread.
:

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 11:04:29 AM »
I'd agree with you, but it's NOT MY thread.

Sorry about that, Princess. My mistake.