Author Topic: Who was the better Running Back?  (Read 8503 times)

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
Who was the better Running Back?
« on: November 03, 2012, 11:14:58 PM »
A buddy of mine says Barry Sanders but I go with Marshall Faulk.  I also threw out LaDainian Tomlinson.

Barry had a shit team but that was his advantage I think.  He was the only offense Detroit had.
Faulk had to compete with Issac Bruce and Torry Holt plus may others for yardage.
LT was a beast in San Diego plain and simple.

My vote is for Faulk with LT a close second.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Who was the better Running Back?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 12:03:57 PM »
 ;D
F

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 12:41:13 PM »
I think Walter Payton is king but we were speaking about 90's and 2000's.  I remember when Jim Brown was gonna make a comeback at 40 something.  I guess he was tired of making those cheezy black exploitation movies.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 12:43:54 PM »
with all due respect you must be to young to have EVER seen Barry Sanders play. Barry Sanders was hands down way, waaay, waaaaaaaaaaay better than marhsall faulk and yet still he was better than L.T. everyone knew sanders was going to get the ball and they could still not stop him.
sept 10th APF

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 12:47:55 PM »
with all due respect you must be to young to have EVER seen Barry Sanders play. Barry Sanders was hands down way, waaay, waaaaaaaaaaay better than marhsall faulk and yet still he was better than L.T. everyone knew sanders was going to get the ball and they could still not stop him.

Nah man,  I saw Barry play.  He was my favorite at the time.  You know though just thinking about it now you might be right as far as running the ball but Faulk was a more complete player.  One year he had over 1000 rushing and over 1000 passing.  That is unheard of.  Barry retired way too early.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »
Emmitt Smith.

He did not have the athletic ability of a Barry Sanders or a Faulk and he ran behind one of the best offensive lines in NFL history.

However, his longetivity and productiveness in an era where the average running back barely lasts 3 years is quite a testemony to his toughness and skill.

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 03:09:03 PM »
Walter Payton,he could pass/block as well and punished tacklers. Over half his career had a shity line too...

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 03:11:37 PM »
Emmitt Smith.

He did not have the athletic ability of a Barry Sanders or a Faulk and he ran behind one of the best offensive lines in NFL history.

However, his longetivity and productiveness in an era where the average running back barely lasts 3 years is quite a testemony to his toughness and skill.

Payton would had double smiths yards with that line,dal was 1st ever to have all the guys over 300lbs

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 05:10:42 PM »
yes barry retired way to early cause detroit never went after any help. they did try to find a QB on time (remember mithcell from miami who filled in for marino while he recovered from his achiles tendon?)  but no serious effort for wr, te or for that matter any defensive players. detroit never used barry as a receiver cause they always just gave him the ball - who was gonna throw it to him any, pete? c'mon man.

payton was the man. put payton or barry behind dallas's O line and aikman would'nt need to throw the ball.
sept 10th APF

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 05:55:53 PM »
yes barry retired way to early cause detroit never went after any help. they did try to find a QB on time (remember mithcell from miami who filled in for marino while he recovered from his achiles tendon?)  but no serious effort for wr, te or for that matter any defensive players. detroit never used barry as a receiver cause they always just gave him the ball - who was gonna throw it to him any, pete? c'mon man.

payton was the man. put payton or barry behind dallas's O line and aikman would'nt need to throw the ball.

Barry had class not to break Payton's record to,AND went out on top,not emmit limping for Arizona at the end

Side note Barry sanders was the highlight for many years on thanksgiving,could you imagine suffering through lions games every year w/o him. Lions on turkey day sucks, so glad the nfl added another game.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 10:00:53 AM »
Barry Sanders.....Eric Dickerson.....Walter Payton.....Jim Brown....Adrian Peterson.....Marcus Allen.

Just a few of my personal favorites.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 08:46:53 AM »
Barry Sanders.....Eric Dickerson.....Walter Payton.....Jim Brown....Adrian Peterson.....Marcus Allen.

Just a few of my personal favorites.
maybe add ladamian tomilson?
F

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 08:59:02 AM »
To bad Gale Sayers tore up his knee.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 09:38:26 AM »
To bad Gale Sayers tore up his knee.
Yes.....if he had not been injured.....he would have done even greater things on the field......nontheless... ...a true legend of the game.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 09:39:40 AM »
maybe add ladamian tomilson?
Yes......Ladanian should be on the list too. He was sensational!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »
My top two are Barry and Bo.  Barry is the best RB I've ever seen on a football field. 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 04:58:41 PM »
;D

Was expecting black and white photos of Jim Thorpe.

Tough quesiton. You can't go wrong with any.

For a pure half-back, Barry's vision and ability to cut back and stop on a dime is a given.

I would argue marshall is the more versatile of the three.

I would argue LT's was as much of an all-purpose back as Marshall, and a lot more explosive.

If I had to construct an all-pro fantasy team I'd probably take Barry as a pure hb.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 05:01:12 PM »
Barry Sanders.  Met Sanders once and I was shocked at the size of his legs in comparison to the rest of his body. He was literally made to move.
A

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 05:09:27 PM »
My top two are Barry and Bo.  Barry is the best RB I've ever seen on a football field. 

I forgot about BO Jax.  I think he has the highest yards per carry of any RB.  Too bad he didn't play long.

godeep

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 08:52:38 PM »
Emmitt Smith.

Shit, even my slow, white, over 40 ass could've have gotten 1000+ yards with the o-line Dallas had. If Barry had been there instead of Emmitt, it would have been nightmarish.
l

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 04:00:07 PM »
I forgot about BO Jax.  I think he has the highest yards per carry of any RB.  Too bad he didn't play long.

Yep.  He was a freak.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 06:02:55 PM »
Payton would had double smiths yards with that line,dal was 1st ever to have all the guys over 300lbs

::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 11:38:06 AM »
Shit, even my slow, white, over 40 ass could've have gotten 1000+ yards with the o-line Dallas had. If Barry had been there instead of Emmitt, it would have been nightmarish.

Truth.  All Emmitt had to do was fall down and he'd gain five yards in that offense.  Barry didn't have a FB or TE for much of his time in Detroit.  He would have ran for darn near 2,000 a season in that Dallas offense. 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 12:02:36 PM »
What about the killer O.J?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 11:20:14 AM »
What about the killer O.J?

No RB in the history of the NFL cut like OJ.   :-\