Author Topic: Can we get an honest discussion about training naturally in your 30's  (Read 5391 times)

Rhomboids

• Getbig III
I recently changed my training schedule so i do less bodyparts per workout.  I had been on the same split since 1995 to great success, but now in my 30s i find that i don't have the energy to keep up the intensity on my former split routine. 

A little background though; Been training since 15, tried Androstene, and everything that was legal in the 90s.  DHEA and the rest.  Never really got huge improvement from them and the only constant has been Creatine. 

Now in my 30s i'm just noticing for the first time ever some back fat in my love handles.  It feels gross.  I know how to train and how to get in shape, even competition shape, but i'd like to get some perspectives about what kind of things you guys have gone through at this age. 

My appetite is also different and my diet has been inconsistent but it's a real bitch to eat 4 food meals a day.  Right now i last ate at 1230 and now it's 830.  I'm about to eat but i'm already paranoid about being in a negative nitrogen balance. 

How much can i expect to get back into my shape of my 20s if i'm doing everything as i should, despite my advanced age?  How much of a testosterone dump have you felt in your 30s as opposed to your 20s? 

I'm taking nothing right now.  Just food, multi vitamin/mineral, acidopholus or some shit and fish oil. 

Are there any real, legal, supplements that naturally boost Test?  I'm not that old but im starting to think im looking a little palumboistic with skinny arms and a big belly. 

WTF's going on here?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Can we get an honest discussion about training naturally in your 30's
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 05:39:17 PM »
Stay away from Heme-Iron.

Johnny Falcon Approved
X

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 05:41:29 PM »
I'm 32 and feel the same as when I was 22, maybe you have a glandular disorder.

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:45:05 PM »
I recently changed my training schedule so i do less bodyparts per workout.  I had been on the same split since 1995 to great success, but now in my 30s i find that i don't have the energy to keep up the intensity on my former split routine. 

A little background though; Been training since 15, tried Androstene, and everything that was legal in the 90s.  DHEA and the rest.  Never really got huge improvement from them and the only constant has been Creatine. 

Now in my 30s i'm just noticing for the first time ever some back fat in my love handles.  It feels gross.  I know how to train and how to get in shape, even competition shape, but i'd like to get some perspectives about what kind of things you guys have gone through at this age. 

My appetite is also different and my diet has been inconsistent but it's a real bitch to eat 4 food meals a day.  Right now i last ate at 1230 and now it's 830.  I'm about to eat but i'm already paranoid about being in a negative nitrogen balance. 

How much can i expect to get back into my shape of my 20s if i'm doing everything as i should, despite my advanced age?  How much of a testosterone dump have you felt in your 30s as opposed to your 20s? 

I'm taking nothing right now.  Just food, multi vitamin/mineral, acidopholus or some shit and fish oil. 

Are there any real, legal, supplements that naturally boost Test?  I'm not that old but im starting to think im looking a little palumboistic with skinny arms and a big belly. 

WTF's going on here?
Go TRT or accept the fact that your almost over the hill look at the nfl, once a player hits early 30s on avg they are done. The same holds true for you...

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:50:09 PM »

WTF's going on here?

Sorry Rhomboids but we can't have an honest discussion without pics.

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 05:50:44 PM »
I'm 43, bald and fat. You should look in the mirror, high five yourself, do some pushups and nail a 23 year old chick.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 06:06:20 PM »
natural test levels stays the same up until about mid thirties then it starts dropping slightly as you age but not alot. when you are 55 your t-levels are around 75% of what they where at 35. not a huge drop so why care about it? I dont think I will have much interest in lifting heavy when i'm 55 anyways other than working out to keep healthy anyways..

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 06:17:39 PM »
try heavy duty "one good heavy set per exercise".. i see it the best especially after all these years of training.. as for the fats,.. diet and cardio nothing else..

jdooly

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 09:02:40 PM »
I'm 35. training naturally for 12 years consistent.  I will admit my muscle doesn't seem as firm when I'm "cold" as it did like 3-4 years ago, and the small amount of fat is harder to lose come spring time after I add about 10 good lbs over the winter. It is what it is, aging.  I'm trying to hold off on the sauce till I'm 40 lol.  My advice is keep going, keep eating clean/good/enough in quantity, be thankful you are healthy enough to even get after it still.

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 11:41:49 PM »
I'm 42 and have trained naturally since I was 18. My 30's were the best years for me training wise until around 39. Everything was pretty much the same as when I was younger except recovering took a little longer. I think CNS recovery becomes increasingly important, so I try and focus on short intense workouts and then I leave the gym alone. 3 times a week - upper body Mon and Fri and legs Wed and that's enough. I was looking through some older photos of myself from about 5 years ago and I'm definitely smaller now, but I don't really care. I still enjoy training.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 12:11:05 AM »
i'm 34. i've got boner all day long when my gf is not working and stay at home.
My mind is more focused as i get older so training are better.
I'm stronger than in my 20's, the only difference i notice i about my lower back, he recover slowly.
In my 20's squatting and deadlifting heavy the same week was easy, now it's almost impossible.

i divorced two years ago and i was depressed, constanlty injuried, gaining fat too much even when eating nothing.

i got a new life with a new gf and a new house, my mood is excellent, i can eat what i want and not gaining fat.

everything is in your mind bro'...

asstropin

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 12:17:11 AM »
i'm 34. i've got boner all day long when my gf is not working and stay at home.
My mind is more focused as i get older so training are better.
I'm stronger than in my 20's, the only difference i notice i about my lower back, he recover slowly.
In my 20's squatting and deadlifting heavy the same week was easy, now it's almost impossible.

i divorced two years ago and i was depressed, constanlty injuried, gaining fat too much even when eating nothing.

i got a new life with a new gf and a new house, my mood is excellent, i can eat what i want and not gaining fat.

everything is in your mind bro'...

nice post man, especially the part about everything being in one's mind

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 12:30:29 AM »
You say that you know how to diet and train in order to get in shape.. Why dont you do it then? No doubt you will feel better physicaly and mentaly.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 12:33:59 AM »

WTF's going on here?

Aging is a bitch, isn't it? You are not in your 20's anymore. The key is to accept that. Be the best you can be for the age you are.

From your description, you are either genetically predisposed to age prematurely or you are being too hard on yourself.

In my 30's I was still able to do heavy workouts and handle a split routine....no problem. I am now 68 years old, recovering from a major surgery and I still manage to stay in shape. It is just not the same "shape" I was in when I was 20 something. These days I work each body part once a week with the exception of abs and calves, which I work twice a week. What I have found is that it takes me longer to recover from a workout then it did when I was a kid.

Have your testosterone levels tested. If they are low, then that could be an issue. Keep in mind that most guys your age have perfectly fine testosterone levels, so this may not be the problem. One thing that happens as you become more mature is that most folks have more responsibilities then they did when they were kids in their 20's. Responsibilities can tax your energy levels.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 04:18:06 AM »
If you are a healthy male - you shouldn't really feel any different at 35, compared to what you felt like at 25 (if you haven't abused alcohol and narcotics, in that time, of course). I think you are just another of these fellas who'll be "old in the head" at 40 already ("my advanced age") and that takes a lot bigger toll on everything else too. I know fellas in their 50's, who are ripped and in a great shape, runs 30miles on a weekend, lifts weights 5 days a week and goes boxing for a few days too. They look and feel young, and you are in your 30's already thinking you are of an "advanced age", smfh...

Oh.. and training "naturally" for so many years, keeping it heavy and putting much effort is a nonsense imho. Doa crissfit or some shit, why you even try to build muscle "naturally"? Keeping a "toned body" would be a better definition, but talking about "size" and stuff while being clean of exogenous hormones - facepalm..

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 05:14:45 AM »
I'm 33, i had trouble deadlifting and squatting heavy in the same week at 19 because i got strong pretty fast. I don't feel my recovery is any worse now than then, i don't train as heavy as then but i still go to failure and that's what matters to the CNS. I found it hard to keep training heavy even early on as it wore at me training basically for powerlifting then.

You're problem with eating? Fuck magazine talk. Eat when hungry. If that's twice a day then do it. Don't stress getting 4 meals in just because you have to.

Rhomboids

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 05:30:26 AM »
try heavy duty "one good heavy set per exercise".. i see it the best especially after all these years of training.. as for the fats,.. diet and cardio nothing else..

I tried not mentioning training methods because people get retarded when it comes to philosophy.  I've been doing my own version of Heavy Duty since 1995.  I achieved peak condition by 1999 in terms of size and strength.  I know it's silly to expect to look the same as I did at 19.  I just want to maintain a high level of physical development.  Why?  That's what I want.  

Thanks for the perspective, particularly the older dudes here.  I was in my best shape at 19 and it wasn't a coincidence I wasn't married with kids and a pain in the ass wife.  But the more stress I have the harder I like hitting the gym and getting my meals in order.

This isn't about me wanting to know how to train and eat, but to see what other people that have been training s while have done as they enter a different phase of their life.  I get morning wood most days so in that sense, my T levels are probably not so bad.  I do get less of that pumped up feeling a day after working out though and I'm noticing a different redistribution of mass in my body - arms and shoulders feel smaller, belly holding on more volume despite not increasing caloric intake.  

I used to train body parts once every five days in high school.  Then every seven days, and always only three workouts a week.  As I got bigger it was once every nine days but now doing a second body part in the same workout gets to be a bit much sometimes.  So I've changed to a single body part per workout.  I did arms yesterday and it took me fifteen minutes.  Took me longer to warm up and stretch then to workout.  

And on principle alone, fuck crossfit.  I've achieved a great physique, for me, through bodybuilding.  The bottom line is looking in the mirror and being impressed with the way you look.  If for you that means toning up and having surfboard abs good for you.  I only identify with feeling powerful and having a physique that don't look like you can get it by climbing ropes and crawling under dirt.  

For cardio I'm doing boxing since I'm interested in keeping the heart as healthy as possible.  

Thanks for constructive perspective and making me realize you're only as old as you feel.  

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 05:35:15 AM »
You're holding more in the stomach because you are eating too much. Trust me, fuck off the 4-5 meal bullshit. It's hard to mentally but look at it this way. You're in your 30's, you've been training more than half your life. Eating less isn't going to make you lose muscle, nothing really you do now is. Cut the eating down, you'll lose any gut. You shouldn't be smaller either unless you are overtraining now.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 06:02:46 AM »
It's not just about test or growth hormone or t3 levels.
All the cells in your body are aging, everything is slowing down.
Prepare yourself emotionally because every year from now on you are going to feel aging coming fast. You can have a normal life, even in aerobic sports, but when it comes to bodybuilding things are only getting worse. Longer recovery time, apetite loss, less intensity workouts, less energy and so on. The only thing that increased are the weights i use. I am stronger although i get fatigue faster.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 06:05:11 AM »

WTF's going on here?

you are lacking silicon for proper collagen replacement

stay away from heme iron
A

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 06:05:32 AM »
Steroids,lots and lots of them.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 06:11:26 AM »
i was much stronger in my 20s.

i need more recovery time now than back then.

i do single bodypart splits now, bc doing several muscles in one workout tires me too much.

translation... I cannot break 200 lbs on the bench anymore haha

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 06:16:15 AM »
I'll take a video some day of a fella at my gym, 53yo, he comes after a long day of manual labour at a construction site and......squats 700lb (yes - 700, not a mistake) for a rep or two (atg). Build up to that weight gradually of course..  then goes does some leg extensions and stuff... complains every time how he doesn't have the "strength anymore" (lol) and goes home.
 Nuff' said.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 06:18:54 AM »
well i am 46 and do not really feel so diffrent as in my 30īs...less hair but fuck it. Lots of great posts so i will just say that you should keep training and stick more to compound moves 3 times a week on a split routine. As Jon Cole wrote a lot is mental( an excellent comment ). Train to be fitter and younger looking than your average guy at your age. In your 30īs you are still very young. Don't worry .. you will just get stressed.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 06:30:34 AM »
It's not just about test or growth hormone or t3 levels.
All the cells in your body are aging, everything is slowing down.
Prepare yourself emotionally because every year from now on you are going to feel aging coming fast. You can have a normal life, even in aerobic sports, but when it comes to bodybuilding things are only getting worse. Longer recovery time, apetite loss, less intensity workouts, less energy and so on. The only thing that increased are the weights i use. I am stronger although i get fatigue faster.

Orrr...one could start making good money so 10-20years down the road one could start regenerating the body by replenishing stem cell pools, tweaking epigenome, playing with mRNA signalling, injecting certain peptides (for ex. these who'd restore good collagen production in the joints and skin, etc.), removing intracellular junk (like advanced glycation end products, or lipofuscins) or even replacing certain organs with a more "resilient" versions of 'em..