Author Topic: Can we get an honest discussion about training naturally in your 30's  (Read 5390 times)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
Re: Can we get an honest discussion about training naturally in your 30's
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 06:32:31 AM »
well i am 46 and do not really feel so diffrent as in my 30´s...less hair but fuck it. Lots of great posts so i will just say that you should keep training and stick more to compound moves 3 times a week on a split routine. As Jon Cole wrote a lot is mental( an excellent comment ). Train to be fitter and younger looking than your average guy at your age. In your 30´s you are still very young. Don't worry .. you will just get stressed.

Good post

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 06:34:56 AM »
If you are a healthy male - you shouldn't really feel any different at 35, compared to what you felt like at 25 (if you haven't abused alcohol and narcotics, in that time, of course). I think you are just another of these fellas who'll be "old in the head" at 40 already ("my advanced age") and that takes a lot bigger toll on everything else too. I know fellas in their 50's, who are ripped and in a great shape, runs 30miles on a weekend, lifts weights 5 days a week and goes boxing for a few days too. They look and feel young, and you are in your 30's already thinking you are of an "advanced age", smfh...

Oh.. and training "naturally" for so many years, keeping it heavy and putting much effort is a nonsense imho. Doa crissfit or some shit, why you even try to build muscle "naturally"? Keeping a "toned body" would be a better definition, but talking about "size" and stuff while being clean of exogenous hormones - facepalm..
this is a great post and spot on other than 'galineko'who is dialed in natural/clean/hrt/EXPERTISE,,,i'm 44 feel great and in great shape,strenght ,stamina,decent size but ripped

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 06:37:10 AM »
this is a great post and spot on other than 'galineko'who is dialed in natural/clean/hrt/EXPERTISE,,,i'm 44 feel great and in great shape,strenght ,stamina,decent size but ripped

I agree.   These guys posting that it's "all over" once you're over 35,40,45 have no idea what they're talking about.

Sure you have to be a bit smarter, but that should always be the case anyway.
Y

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 06:45:00 AM »
Early 30's and late 30's are two different beasts.  By 35 your test tanks to the shitter, but at 30 it's still not bad.  Your metabolism also slows down.  Sad truth is you need to eat a lot less because your furnace is not burning all that fuel anymore.  You might have to change your cardio.  Simply running may not do it anymore.  You may have to do HIT cardio, burpees, sprints etc... to get you going.  Also a split routine in your 30's without steroids is stupid

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 06:50:03 AM »
Even semi-serious bodybuilding in your 30's without steroids is stupid

Fixed.  :D

You don't even need much.. just 400test/wk + 4iu kigtropina.. It will add another good 15-20years of "feeling 20" in your bodybuidling career.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2012, 07:02:42 AM »
I agree.   These guys posting that it's "all over" once you're over 35,40,45 have no idea what they're talking about.

Sure you have to be a bit smarter, but that should always be the case anyway.
100%

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 08:06:56 AM »
Any healthy man in their 30's should still be able to train hard... no excuses.

I noticed my performance started to decrease when I hit my mid-forties. 

As soon as you notice your libido/errections are not like they used to be, you'll know your homone levels are dropping.... if you're a natty that is.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2012, 08:16:11 AM »
Shit I just get better with age. Never a drug in my system and I still make gains. Muscle gets more mature, I can fuck off for weeks at a time and not loose an once, my skin gets thinner, I'm getting smarter and smarter in the gym. I'm 30 and I'm n better shape then when I was 21 and hitting the gym 5x's a week.

And don't forget. If your not a fat piece of shit, you look better then 70% of the population. If your in shape your better then 90% of the population. You look like you lift weights you look better the 99% of the population.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2012, 08:51:47 AM »
You're holding more in the stomach because you are eating too much. Trust me, fuck off the 4-5 meal bullshit. It's hard to mentally but look at it this way. You're in your 30's, you've been training more than half your life. Eating less isn't going to make you lose muscle, nothing really you do now is. Cut the eating down, you'll lose any gut. You shouldn't be smaller either unless you are overtraining now.

This^^^ Your calories should be dropping as you get older. You just don't need to eat that much unless your mental illness is strong and you feel the need to jump on stage in panties.

ob205

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2012, 08:56:11 AM »
I think once you've been training hard and know the basics of eating for 3-4 years, you have built most your muscle mass naturally that you ever will. 

When you are older, over 35, think it is best to focus on MAINTAINING and better condition.  Of course,drugs change the whole equation.

On the Heavy Duty type training, I think it is to stressful as you age CNS, joints, etc.  Also, you can't continue to increase poundages/size ad infinitum, or everyone would have a 800lb bench press and 20" arms.

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »
so what about muscles maturity that one achieves in his 30s as we were reading in the magazines ;D.. may be it's for roids guys only and not naturals.. for me at 33 i feel i am exactly the same strength wise and shape wise as in my 20s with the only exception that i was losing fats a little easier when i was younger and this is very normal.. and to look at the positive side of this i have added cardio now while in the past i was never doing any..

as for the wife and the kids i dont understand why a family prevents some ppl from training or not to train the same as when they were singles??.. a body needs only 3 or 4 days a weeks to be trained well and no need to stay inside the gym more than one hour.. i sometimes train 2 parts very well in only 20 minutes or less.. in most cases when a person doesnt train well after making a family it's mainly because he is lazy not because he is really that busy..

a family man with kids must use any available time to do something if he wants to stay in shape without taking from his wife and kids time,.. for example when i take my son to his swimming lessons instead of watching him for an hour and a half with the other parents i swim in the other pool and when he is in his gymnastics lessons i go to jog..

8) ;D :P

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »
Water
Food
Vitamins
Rest
Sleep

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2012, 03:15:26 PM »
I don't feel my metabilism has really slowed down. I was just fucking overeating in my teens and early 20's and getting too fat. Now i actually eat more junk but less meals than then and stay much leaner. Maybe in 10 years things will change.

Everhard

• Getbig II
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 08:33:14 PM »
I am 38 and have competed in 2 shows over past 2 years and plan on doing another in 2013. I feel better now than I ever did. I keep waiting to feel "old".

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2012, 10:55:11 PM »
age... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

fuck dat noise!

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2012, 11:02:12 PM »
age... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

fuck dat noise!

the 65 shirtless guy is amazing.. sure on plenty of roids but still amazing..

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2012, 11:43:03 PM »
Good replies.

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
  • Violence is not the answer. It is the question.
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2012, 07:34:02 AM »
40 years old.

I've notice a marked decrease in recovery ability (need more rest).

The main thing with me is that now all my joints are going to shit. Tendonitis in elbows, ankles. Starting to be a real problem. Anyone else have issues with this? Hints to cope?

Also, going super heavy is a lot tougher, and I'm flirting with the idea of camping in the 8-12 rep range from now on. Any thoughts on that?
The answer is "yes".

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2012, 07:39:50 AM »
40 years old.

The main thing with me is that now all my joints are going to shit. Tendonitis in elbows, ankles. Starting to be a real problem. Anyone else have issues with this? Hints to cope?

Also, going super heavy is a lot tougher, and I'm flirting with the idea of camping in the 8-12 rep range from now on. Any thoughts on that?
Ha! Oh yes. It was hard to convince myself, but my heavy-lifting days are now gone. I keeps the reps high and train for feel. Shitty, I know, but just trying to extend my lifting life. As Grape said up-thread: smarter is the key.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
you know what? i started really learning at 40...i have always trained but i mean training my mind too. I like Frank Zane because he is a very positive man and his ideas i like.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2012, 07:46:53 AM »
the 65 shirtless guy is amazing.. sure on plenty of roids but still amazing..
yes the middle video is Richard Baldwin...writes great stuff on Raw iron and another forum i won´t mention... ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »
40 years old.

Light to moderate resistance training is believed to be helpful in maintaining good working joints and staving off arthritis. However, excessively heavy lifting is detrimental to one's joints. Some repetitive, high impact exercises, such as running, can also cause osteoarthritis. Whether one is predisposed to be afflicted with osteoarthritis and when they can expect it to start being a problem depends on their genetic makeup. I believe our diet also plays a part in maintaining good joint health.

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2012, 01:28:07 PM »
40 years old.

I fucked my elbows at 17 training too heavy. It took years before they were better. I do not train too heavy anymore, still go to failure, stick with lighter weights and never have any joint issues. Joint issues can happen at any age if you push it enough. Just train lighter as long as you are hitting failure you won't look any worse, probably look better.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2012, 05:42:08 PM »
I felt little change in my running and lifting until I turned 50. In your 30's it should be your prime years. Not a time to make excuses. Those pictures of drug users in their 50's,60's and 70's are bs. They would look like absoulute crap without the drugs. I would give them any praise what so ever.

Rhomboids

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2012, 08:58:40 PM »
40 years old.

What i notice now is that doing lighter weights for higher reps doesn't equal in the same amount of calories burnt when compared to heavy training.  I believe now more so than before that to stay as lean as possible, you have to train as heavy as possible - obviously not going for singles and doubles or sacrificing form.  I'm a six to nine type of guy. 

I find the problem with my diet to be that of inconsistency more so than eating too much.  what happens is that i know i can't eat 3.5hrs later so i end up eating too much at one seating.  That's what causes the distention in the stomach.  My body still craves a huge amount of food though.  Last two days ive been making a hard effor to eat like i used to.  7am, 1230pm, 4pm, 8pm, 11pm(myoplex).  This is how i ate when i was at my biggest.  I got my body so used to this routine that if i do anything less i feel lightheaded, sick and get a migraine. 

Tomorrow i'm doing chest/calves.  If i have a spotter, incline BB press and 20degree DB press.  Calves; seated then standing raise - though I'll be damn if i can find a standing calf machine.  When i get closer to my top poundage i'll start wrapping every joint up.