Author Topic: serious question on working in broadcast industry  (Read 2713 times)

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
serious question on working in broadcast industry
« on: November 13, 2012, 11:47:45 AM »
if you have a genuine interest in being on the radio...and reading the news...but you don't have any college, is it worth a shot to audition for a radio station?
would they see your passion and hear your talent and possibly hire you?

w

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: serious question on working in broadcast industry
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
Queue STUNTMOVIE guy on how he and the General of the army had lunch with Bing Crosby and Bob Hope.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 03:01:49 PM »
Your voice is your instrument, Gene.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 03:03:08 PM »
u sure have kept quiet over the past couple years
A

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 03:17:08 PM »
Try it at all cost, but you better be good.

epic_alien

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 03:17:58 PM »
some people have a face for radio  ;)

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »
thanks everyone
w

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 03:26:32 PM »
Maybe see if Derek Anthony is hiring interns once his radio show gets back up and running?

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 03:31:51 PM »
if you have a genuine interest in being on the radio...and reading the news...but you don't have any college, is it worth a shot to audition for a radio station?

Read up anything on being an opportunist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunism

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 05:37:55 PM »
You would need to present the GM's with an audition tape to showcase your inflection and breaks into and out of commercials and so on..  Also there are other things that you need to know other than just broadcasting.  This includes creating commercials, writing them, doing the voice over and supplying a background track.  Also need to know how to work a board which is hard without experience or an internship and know the government regulations.  Sales knowledge is important as well since most GM's want someone who can also sell advertising to local businesses. I would try and get an internship but that will be difficult since most use college kids.  Believe me...the broadcast industry is a hard one to make a decent living from and this is only after 10 years paying your dues in shitty little towns in the middle of nowhere.  Most never make it.  I did it for 3 years and called it quits and went into IT career.  Good luck.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »

They might not hire you based on talent/passion right away...But you can still go give it a try.....don't need any college to work on radio really (unless is on the technical aspect,and  that can eventually get you behind the mic)

The best way to get on air? be friends with an expecific radio station call often without being annoying,say something clever help them develop a topic etc... become known by staff/djs working on weekends of such station...
Youll be filling in for holidays then  you'll b on payroll.

WOOSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 07:45:47 PM »

Your best shot at getting in with no college is winning the "smack off" on the jim rome show. There's 2 or 3 guys who have got their own radio show from that. Just have to have a good handle and original material. Otherwise getting into radio requires a degree and internship,good luck

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 12:10:55 AM »
I was an electrical engineering major at school...there was a student run station that needed volunteers with a technical bent.  I got to know several individuals that went on to the local news/talk outlet.  They took me with them, but instead of being put entirely on the engineering staff...I was a hybrid...I tended the overnight operations of the station and oversaw the transmitter operations...but because I was there at 4:00 AM I was also made the producer of the farm/agribusiness/gardening show.  From 4-5 AM I produced the "farm" show which transitioned to the gardening show 5-6 AM.

While at all time still working overnights, I also started to produce shows one to two days a week on Medicine, Home Improvement, NFL Football, Major League Baseball, general household "handyman" activities, Automobiles, Hunting and Fishing, and lastly (gasp) Politics.

To digress briefly from the broadcasting subject, that last genre of talk show, politics, persuaded me that Libertarians are beyond a doubt the biggest imbeciles on the planet.  Do not cite Ron Paul or the Cato Institute to me...the Cato Institute is de facto the public relations department of the Koch Brothers...Ron Paul is, well Ron Paul and I have met and conversed with him many times over a twenty year period...a nice guy, I would accept social invitations from him,...but never vote for his ideas.  The US tried the Laissez Faire/Social Darwinism model during the period from 1860 to 1930 and it wasn't a very nice place to live for most.  Most people younger than 35 are so ignorant of history that they are unaware of this. Bringing up a close second in imbecility are the right wing conservatives.

Back to Broadcasting...

It is very much harder now as colleges that have retained their stations have converted them to professionally run organizations with paid staff with very few student volunteers.

Pay scales are best in the larger of the top ten markets...in markets smaller than the top ten pay drops precipitously.

I learned how to edit sound with tape and single edged "cocaine" razor blades...naturlich it is all digital now.  A pc with inexpensive software can outperform the most expensive tape machines.

You will be a mercenary...you will be called upon to promote questionable things. the best examples I can think of are patent medicines, herbal remedies, weightloss schemes.

It would be smart to learn how to produce video as well now.

I stayed at one station for twenty years until i was laid off in 2007...I have submitted resumes to many stations both tv and radio (local and nationwide) and received only a handful of responses.  I went back to my purely technical roots and have worked in telecommunications since 2007

I know this post is disjointed and wandering...I am thinking of things off the top of my head...I hope it has been edifying.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 05:05:53 AM »
Ct school of broadcasting.