Author Topic: Obama turns to familiar refrain in post-election press conference: Blame Bush  (Read 2080 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Not surprised.  Still blaming Bush.   ::)

Obama turns to familiar refrain in post-election press conference: Blame Bush
Published November 14, 2012
FoxNews.com

President Obama opened his first White House press conference in eight months Wednesday with a familiar refrain: Blame Bush.

Before diving into an explanation of how he wants to avoid the so-called "fiscal cliff" -- and imploring House Republicans to approve legislation to raise taxes on high earners -- Obama sought to once again remind Americans that he took office, four years ago, during a recession that started with the George W. Bush administration.

"Right now our economy is still recovering from a very deep and damaging crisis, so our top priority has to be jobs and growth," Obama said. "We've got to build on the progress that we've made."

The reminder was a refrain on the campaign trail, and apparently will be part of the rhetorical repertoire going forward in a second term.

The president on Wednesday also renewed his call for Congress -- meaning the Republican-controlled House -- to let taxes rise for top earners while passing a bill "right now" that shields everybody else from a hike.

"We should not hold the middle class hostage while we debate tax cuts for the wealthy," Obama said.

The president went on to insist that any agreement that deals with the so-called "fiscal cliff" allows taxes to rise for households making more than $250,000. "When it comes to the top 2 percent, what I'm not going to do is extend further a tax cut for folks that don't need it," he said.

Republicans, though, worry that failing to preserve the current rates for everyone will end up hurting the economy by hurting small businesses.

The appearance marked the first scheduled, solo news conference for Obama since March. The president spent much of the year campaigning for a second term -- now that he's won it, the president faces a barrage of challenges and controversies.

On the heels of Election Day, the administration is reeling from the controversy surrounding former CIA Director David Petraeus' resignation. The storied general abruptly announced his departure Friday, citing an extramarital affair. According to official accounts, the White House was not informed about the situation until last Wednesday -- however, the investigation had been ongoing for months, raising questions about why the Justice Department and FBI did not notify others in the administration or on the Hill.

Obama said Wednesday he was withholding judgment on the process. He also said he had "no evidence" that classified information was disclosed that in any way would negatively impact security.

Further, Obama continues to face criticism from lawmakers about the Libya terror attack, both in terms of requests for security before the attack that were not met and how the administration described the attack after the fact.

But most pressing on the domestic front is the so-called "fiscal cliff," the combination of tax hikes and spending cuts that will hammer the economy come January unless Congress and the White House strike a deal. Obama is meeting with lawmakers Friday to kick of negotiations; they have less than two months to reach an agreement. Congressional budget analysts say that a failure to avert the cliff would trigger another recession next year.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/11/14/obama-holds-post-election-press-conference/

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
So he is on te side of the middleclass.

How much do you make BB?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
So he is on te side of the middleclass.

How much do you make BB?

Enough to pay my cable bill. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
I'm sorry... Where in that article is there a quote that says "Bush"?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Why is his "mandate" to only help the "middle class"?  Why isn't it to help everyone?  What about all the small business owners who by his definition are wealthy (i.e., they generate over $250k a year)? 

Obama: I Have Middle Class Mandate on Fiscal Cliff
Wednesday, 14 Nov 2012
By Newsmax Wires

President Barack Obama on Wednesday said his re-election gives him a mandate to help the American middle class, but he does not presume his opponents agree with all of his ideas.

"I've got one mandate. I've got a mandate to help middle class families," Obama said in a wide-ranging news conference a week after winning re-election Nov. 6.

The president spoke two days ahead of his first talks with congressional leaders to avoid a jump off the 'fiscal cliff' of $600 billion in tax hikes and spending cuts looming at year's end.

The president said voters sent a “very clear message” that they want both parties to stop bickering over politics and take the necessary steps to cut the budget deficit through a combination of tax increases for the wealthy and cuts in spending. He suggested he was open to "new ideas" and that tax cuts could not be the only way, adding that he wanted ideas for revenue growth as well.

"I just want to emphasize: I am open to new ideas. If the Republican counterparts or some Democrats have a great idea for us to raise revenue, maintain progressivity, make sure the middle class isn't getting hit, reduces our deficit, encourages growth, I'm not going to just slam the door in their face," he said.

Obama opened a White House news conference reiterating his call for Congress to immediately pass an extension of the Bush- era tax cuts for the first $200,000 of annual income for individuals and $250,000 for married couples. He said the rates on earnings above those levels be allowed to rise when they expire at the end of the year.

“We should at least do what we agree on,” Obama said. “I won’t pretend that figuring out everything else will be easy.”

If Congress doesn’t act by the end of 2012, $607 billion in automatic spending cuts and tax increases are scheduled to take effect starting in January. Taxes on ordinary income, capital gains, dividends and estates will increase, pushing the top tax rate to 39.6 percent from 35 percent.

While Obama has signaled willingness to compromise, neither he nor top congressional Republicans have publicly offered any concessions on their past stances. House Speaker John Boehner cited public support for the chamber’s re-elected Republican majority and said tax rates must not go up.

The president said it would be “very difficult” to cut the deficit by curbing breaks in the tax code without raising rates, a position that has been embraced by Republicans.

Tax Code

“There are loopholes that can be closed and we should look at how we can make the process of deductions, the filing process easier, simpler, but when it comes to the top two percent, what I’m not going to do is to extend further a tax cut for folks who don’t need it, which would cost close to a trillion,” he said.

Obama, who meets with House and Senate leaders on Nov. 16, is opening his negotiations with lawmakers by reiterating the plan from his fiscal 2013 budget, which called for $1.6 trillion over 10 years in additional revenue from high-income taxpayers. That’s twice the amount that Boehner, an Ohio Republican, discussed in talks last year.

“I want a big deal, I want a comprehensive deal,” Obama said.

Failure to reach an agreement to avoid the so-called fiscal cliff risks pushing the U.S. back into a recession.

Treasuries 10-year note yields traded close to two-month lows. The benchmark 10-year yield rose one basis point, or 0.01 percentage point, to 1.60 percent at 12:50 p.m. in New York, according to Bloomberg Bond Trader prices.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/obama-fiscal-cliff-talks/2012/11/14/id/464135

War-Horse

• Getbig V
The tax cuts were temporary. Do you understand the word?  The wealthy are doing just fine now....the middleclass, not so much.  Dont cry for the millionaires BB Its just lunch money for them
To understand how it will all work, read some strawman posts today.....That'll reassure you.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
u

War-Horse

• Getbig V
If repubs hadnt been self admitted obstructionists then we'd be on with this.  But they held on for four years hoping to get obama out. It didnt work.  55 yr old pasty white men are dying off.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails

I'm far from an Obama supporter, but we should all blame Bush to a substantial degree.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
You're a fool.

I'm far from an Obama supporter, but we should all blame Bush to a substantial degree.

^^^^^^^

And the economy IS turning around... So I don't see where the statement is even incorrect.

He didn't say "Blame Bush".

He said, "Right now our economy is still recovering from a very deep and damaging crisis, so our top priority has to be jobs and growth. "We've got to build on the progress that we've made."

How is that blaming ANYONE and not just making a factual statement?

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
^^^^^^^

And the economy IS turning around... So I don't see where the statement is even incorrect.

He didn't say "Blame Bush".

He said, "Right now our economy is still recovering from a very deep and damaging crisis, so our top priority has to be jobs and growth. "We've got to build on the progress that we've made."

How is that blaming ANYONE and not just making a factual statement?

::)

Reasoning with the left is like trying to nail jello to a wall.

Have you been paying attention to the last 4 years? The deep and damaging crisis ( which according to Obama ended in 2009) has been put squarely on Bush's shoulders by Obama and the sycophants in the media at every single turn ad nauseum. This is a single instance where Bush wasn't called out by name-- and you think by virtue of that, he's not blaming Bush?  ::)

Well, since he's been President for 4 years-- Is he blaming himself? Of course not. He's done a great job on the economy. That's why he needs another term to help America recover from the first one.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
You have all got see some whacked logic in this:

If it wasn't for BUSH, OBama would have never got elected.

Blame Bush!  ;D

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails

Blame Bush!  ;D

There you go!  8)

War-Horse

• Getbig V

Blame Bush!  ;D

lol. Nice angle. So 3333 contributed to obama as president.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
The tax cuts were temporary. Do you understand the word?  The wealthy are doing just fine now....the middleclass, not so much.  Dont cry for the millionaires BB Its just lunch money for them
To understand how it will all work, read some strawman posts today.....That'll reassure you.

Small business owners generating $250k a year are millionaires?  Really? 

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
Yeah bush is at fault. So Bush started two wars and morons supported him and Obama starts 5 more wars and Obama is fixing what Bush started how?

Whether its bush or obama you are a war mongering country and its costing you now. Life's a bitch sometimes ain't it hah

This reminds me of Americans:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
bush, bush & their cronies cripple american't for a generation

even hillary will have to deal with tier mess

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Exit polls  from last week show the most people still blame Bush for the mess we're still trying to dig our way out of

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/janetdaley/100188385/us-voters-still-blame-bush-for-economy-bad-news-for-labour/

tonymctones

• Getbig V
any of you blame bush morons want to explain how bush is to blame?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
any of you blame bush morons want to explain how bush is to blame?

I thought i made a pretty good case.   :D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I thought i made a pretty good case.   :D
LOL best one Ive heard so far ;)

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Small business owners generating $250k a year are millionaires?  Really? 

Ok dont raise taxes but then stop complaining about the debt.
You cant have it both ways children.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
Ok dont raise taxes but then stop complaining about the debt.
You cant have it both ways children.

Here's a novel idea: How about we stop spending money we don't have?

Think that might help with the debt?

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Here's a novel idea: How about we stop spending money we don't have?

Think that might help with the debt?

Sure no more wars from now and universal healthcare that will help.

I suppose you vote dem from now on or are you just BS as usual?

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
u
still blaming Bush?  yes.
for how long?

Well, they are still blaming the rats for the Black Plague during the Middle Ages.
w