Author Topic: Do you believe that going to college is a right or a privilege?  (Read 3314 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Do you believe that going to college is a right or a privilege?
« on: November 14, 2012, 12:39:05 PM »
I am sick of these news stories about poor mexicans complaining about how expensive college is.  Since when is it anyone's right to go to college?  I worked my ass off to pay for it.  I never expected anyone to pay for me.  if I didn't have the money I wasn't going to go, plain and simple.  But today every fucking kid thinks it's their right to go.  they don't understand the socieconomic hierarchy that society wouldn't function without the blue collar type jobs.  Everyone wants to be an exec but no one wants to lift no heavy ass weights.

pulling weight

• Getbig III
Re: Do you believe that going to college is a right or a privilege?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 12:40:05 PM »
If a country wants to maximize the potential of its people than college should be cheap
T

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 12:46:02 PM »
People should be allowed into universities based on intelligence, talent, ... An entrance test should be done to see if people have enough intrinsic qualities. Having to pay for college is retarded. It should not be a blue collar environment and blue collars should be kept out by all means.

I was constantly annoyed by the lack of analytic insight of many of my college-peers. The system is so that anyone who works hard can succeed (easily). That is the inverse of what it should be imo.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 01:09:36 PM »
People should be allowed into universities based on intelligence, talent, ... An entrance test should be done to see if people have enough intrinsic qualities. Having to pay for college is retarded. It should not be a blue collar environment and blue collars should be kept out by all means.

I was constantly annoyed by the lack of analytic insight of many of my college-peers. The system is so that anyone who works hard can succeed (easily). That is the inverse of what it should be imo.

Kinda agree. Talents need to be taken into account and built upon.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »
having an expensive education system divides the classes

a state desired by the elite ruling classes

and difficult to change

would take a bold govt
T

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »
Kinda agree. Talents need to be taken into account and built upon.

Anyone can work hard, but not everyone can think hard.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 01:19:57 PM »
If a country wants to maximize the potential of its people than college should be cheap

This^^^

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 01:22:55 PM »
Anyone can work hard, but not everyone can think hard.

not true.  some are incapable of working hard, just like some are stupid.  i'm guessing you're so quick to emphasize intelligence because this is your "strong point".

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 01:31:54 PM »
George Washington wanted all colleges in America to be free and accessible to anyone.  His major goal was setting up a Nationalized College System.  Sadly, it never came into fruition.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 01:34:34 PM »
George Washington wanted all colleges in America to be free and accessible to anyone.  His major goal was setting up a Nationalized College System.  Sadly, it never came into fruition.

I agree college should be free all one is doing is memorizing a fucking book or two, no hard manual labor is done, they could teach outside around a got damn bonfire for crying outloud

its the "system' that is pillaging everyone making them think they need to pay money to learn some "things"
A

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 01:35:08 PM »
not true.  some are incapable of working hard, just like some are stupid.  i'm guessing you're so quick to emphasize intelligence because this is your "strong point".

???

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 01:35:46 PM »
The best means of forming a manly, virtuous, and happy people will be found in the right education of youth. Without this foundation, every other means, in my opinion, must fail.
George Washington, letter to George Chapman, December 15, 1784

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 01:36:18 PM »
I agree college should be free all one is doing is memorizing a fucking book or two, no hard manual labor is done, they could teach outside around a got damn bonfire for crying outloud

its the "system' that is pillaging everyone making them think they need to pay money to learn some "things"
Very true.  Knowledge should never come with a price tag.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 01:37:19 PM »
I am sick of these news stories about poor mexicans complaining about how expensive college is.  Since when is it anyone's right to go to college?  I worked my ass off to pay for it.  I never expected anyone to pay for me.  if I didn't have the money I wasn't going to go, plain and simple.  But today every fucking kid thinks it's their right to go.  they don't understand the socieconomic hierarchy that society wouldn't function without the blue collar type jobs.  Everyone wants to be an exec but no one wants to lift no heavy ass weights.

It's a privilege, no question.

Just like healthcare, internet, housing, food, transportation, etc...

bike nut

• Getbig V
  • Desperation is a stinky cologne
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 01:39:01 PM »

Countries can only provide the opportunities.....only people can decide if they want to maximize their potential.

College is about a piece of paper that lets a person draw a higher salary, like a dollar per hour pedigree, people stopped trying to be the best they could be in the 1980's.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 01:39:27 PM »
  Knowledge is a right

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 01:39:44 PM »

Very good point, and I remember asking my social studies teacher about this in 7th grade.  Where will the HVAC people, welders, carpenters, of tomorrow come from?  We have a really big/nationally known public trade school nearby yet going there is never ever mentioned in our school system for some reason.  WTF?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 01:40:02 PM »
In most places in the world, the rich and educated rule, and they tend to go hand in hand with each other. I wonder why?
I think it's a privilege, not a right...people want things, everything handed to them...
Next, people will think it's their "right" to have a license. This has got to stop, it's gone too far...

Nowadays, nobody "earns" a grade, they are "given" a grade. And parents set their children up, by demanding that children be "given" an "A" or they will move their kids to a class they are "given" the grade. Also, every kid is "above average"....you see, this starts from an early age, and now said kids are growing up, and believe that they deserve everything...

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 01:40:11 PM »
Countries can only provide the opportunities.....only people can decide if they want to maximize their potential.

College is about a piece of paper that lets a person draw a higher salary, like a dollar per hour pedigree, people stopped trying to be the best they could be in the 1980's.
Thats not what college is supposed to be about at all.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 01:40:12 PM »
Its not a right but it makes damn hope economic sense to make sure eveyone has the ability to maximize their productive capacity

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 01:41:06 PM »
Damn good economic sense.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »
In most places in the world, the rich and educated rule, and they tend to go hand in hand with each other. I wonder why?
I think it's a privilege, not a right...people want things, everything handed to them...
Next, people will think it's their "right" to have a license. This has got to stop, it's gone too far...

Nowadays, nobody "earns" a grade, they are "given" a grade. And parents set their children up, by demanding that children be "given" an "A" or they will move their kids to a class they are "given" the grade. Also, every kid is "above average"....you see, this starts from an early age, and now said kids are growing up, and believe that they deserve everything...
License should be a right.  I see no logical reason otherwise.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 01:42:04 PM »
the books of knowledge should be free if they hold the keys to passing the test

thus more people will be smarter and not be in any debt , they can there on go to perform said job skills that they passed on the test
A

Batfreak

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »
College is a privilege....the poor can get scholarships just like anyone else....work hard, get good grades, go to college.....if not....the world needs burger flippers too...college is not an entitlement....a high school education is an entitlement and look how that has failed in some cities..
the original

nevertrustanyone

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 01:44:02 PM »
its a scam to bilk people out of there money