Author Topic: Do you believe that going to college is a right or a privilege?  (Read 3307 times)

bike nut

• Getbig V
  • Desperation is a stinky cologne
Re: Do you believe that going to college is a right or a privilege?
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 01:44:07 PM »
Thats not what college is supposed to be about at all.

I know......but that's what it has become.

A four-year (now being stretched out to five) hiatus between high school and the real world.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 01:45:13 PM »
College being free is a misnomer.  Who pays for the professors, buildings etc..?  Let me guess the government. Imagine the gov dictating what you should learn.  Then what?  Raise taxes so everyone can go to college.  Imagine that cost.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 01:46:20 PM »
Anyone see 60 minutes last week?  Talking about the big demand in basic low skilled manufacturing?  Employers were saying they are having a hell of a time finding entry level employees that are just reliable and can show up to work on time.

What's that mean?

bike nut

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 01:47:09 PM »
College being free is a misnomer.  Who pays for the professors, buildings etc..?  Let me guess the government. Imagine the gov dictating what you should learn.  Then what?  Raise taxes so everyone can go to college.  Imagine that cost.

Isn't that what Germany does?

Don't they have "free" university/college, but an income tax rate 20% higher than the U.S.?

Fuck that......I'm tired of paying for the Wiggs' of society.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 01:47:40 PM »
Do you gentlemen understand how many lost opportunities this formerly great country has lost out on because college put a common man in debt?  Paying for college essentially turns into wasting a resource. People spend 20 years + to pay off those stupid loans and look at the percent of people that work in the field in which they have their degree...Lower than most would think.

Assuming you can test into it, college and trade schools should be free. It's an investment into your economy.  And like others said, paying essentially creates class warfare.

nevertrustanyone

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 01:49:17 PM »
Do you gentlemen understand how many lost opportunities this formerly great country has lost out on because college put a common man in debt?  Paying for college essentially turns into wasting a resource. People spend 20 years + to pay off those stupid loans and look at the percent of people that work in the field in which they have their degree...Lower than most would think.

Assuming you can test into it, college and trade schools should be free. It's an investment into your economy.  And like others said, paying essentially creates class warfare.

its all a scam bro , thats why i prefer my money under the table  ;)

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 01:49:42 PM »
As the world becomes more and more globalized, which is inevitable, the attibute of college as a privilige will be increasing!
It is inevitable.

bike nut

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 01:50:43 PM »

The debt and the loans are only stupid when they go with a meaningless degree.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »
Are you aware that professors are overpaid for the most part and earn more money by just merely showing up.  Most don`t even have classes but 3 days a week and then they get paid for a sabbatical-sometimes lasting over a year or two.

Every University has professors that are making six figure salaries and they really don`t do a whole lot for the most part.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »
Anyone see 60 minutes last week?  Talking about the big demand in basic low skilled manufacturing?  Employers were saying they are having a hell of a time finding entry level employees that are just reliable and can show up to work on time.

What's that mean?

i beleive it i cant even get my crack head friend and his buddies to come help me do a little painting and sweeping lol
A

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 01:52:40 PM »
College is too expensive as it is. The textbooks are a perfect example.  But making it free is of course impossible. Someone has to pay. I think what we have going now is good, federal loans for anyone who gets accepted and they don't have to he paid back till after graduation and monthly payments capped at 15 or 20% of income (can't remember the precise number) and debt forgiven after 20 years of paying every month.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 01:53:54 PM »
unfortunately even a college degree does not equal a college degree.

A genius with a degree from chico state college will always lose out to a schlub who's daddy paid for him to go to Harvard.  It's just a fact.  The name is worth more than the degree.

I lost a job that I was perfect for.  I had all the right experience, the hiring manager thought I was perfect for the role and the culture of the company but the VP who approves the hire said he wanted someone with a better college pedigree like Harvard or Yale.  WTF does it matter the college if I proved that my experience is perfectly suited for the job?

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 01:54:19 PM »
If something is "free" it has no value.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 01:54:59 PM »
Are you aware that professors are overpaid for the most part and earn more money by just merely showing up.  Most don`t even have classes but 3 days a week and then they get paid for a sabbatical-sometimes lasting over a year or two.

Every University has professors that are making six figure salaries and they really don`t do a whole lot for the most part.

I am very aware of this. Some professors I had forced us to use books written by them thus making them more money. Utter bullshit.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 01:55:47 PM »
College is too expensive as it is. The textbooks are a perfect example.  But making it free is of course impossible. Someone has to pay. I think what we have going now is good, federal loans for anyone who gets accepted and they don't have to he paid back till after graduation and monthly payments capped at 15 or 20% of income (can't remember the precise number) and debt forgiven after 20 years of paying every month.
Imagine that, paying 20% of your salary for 20 years.  Fuck man.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »
If something is "free" it has no value.

Isn't sex free.  sort of, well maybe, depends if I'm in asia or not.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 01:56:58 PM »
Imagine that, paying 20% of your salary for 20 years.  Fuck man.

On top of the 30%+ you already have to pay in taxes..

"1"

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 02:01:40 PM »
Bottomline is, this is what happens when capitalism creeps its ugly head into every aspect of society. Profit becomes the bottomline, quality falters and quantity becomes the name of the game.  Unless you are an elite or ivy league school.  There's no reason there shouldn't be more schools like these except for money and money equals opportunity.  It's sad really, all of this over greed and control.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2012, 02:02:20 PM »
I was reading that despite the high rate Harvard charges they take a loss on tuitions.  They make the money up in hedge funds that they own.  Apparently Harvard sits on a multi billion dollar fund. 

nevertrustanyone

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, 02:19:08 PM »
I was reading that despite the high rate Harvard charges they take a loss on tuitions.  They make the money up in hedge funds that they own.  Apparently Harvard sits on a multi billion dollar fund. 
::)

pulling weight

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2012, 02:22:33 PM »
Essentially keeping colleges expensive maintains a class divide.
For the rich paying the tuition fees is nothing.
For the average joe it truly is an investment, and often they have to work demeaning jobs on the side to support it--stripping, Burger King etc.

College should free or else very cheap.
T

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2012, 06:53:40 PM »

it's funny, probably 75% of the coursework at my college (department) was developed by 3-4 professors, while the other 20 or so steal all of the material wholesale, but of course say "thanks."

they don't actually make very much (state college so the records are public, I believe the average was something like $60-70k), but it's still odd how they can seem so busy when you know they appropriated every material they "teach".

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2012, 07:03:59 PM »
its a scam to bilk people out of there money

+10000

cswol

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2012, 07:06:46 PM »
college is a scam to get citizens under a huge loan debt to the central banks, and its a recruiting ground for the illuminati and corporate entities that control the world

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
I've come to realize that college serves as a class separator. It is a waste of time and money unless you are in medicine, psychology, etc...