Author Topic: Why is "price gouging" is wrong?  (Read 4244 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Why is "price gouging" is wrong?
« on: November 16, 2012, 07:05:06 AM »
? ? ? ? ? ? ?

I live in NYC and the govt thugs and parasites are going after gas stations for "price gouging" during the storm.

Why the F is thing wrong considering the dealers don't know when the next supply is coming yet they still have fixed operating costs to deal with? 

Typical leftist democrat communist incompetence. 

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
Re: Why is "price gouging" is wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:06:59 AM »
price gougin is the fantasy that a higher price when something is scarce is bad

if governmetn says no you get artifical shortages like the one for gas in NY

if gov let people aloen the price would rise to 7 and people would glasdly pay it and others who have gas would be worth it to drive gas to NY

another stupid governmetn myth taught in gov schools that screws people

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 07:07:46 AM »
Because many do it when they don't have to taking advantage of people.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 07:14:05 AM »
Because many do it when they don't have to taking advantage of people.  

Nonsense - why can't they set the price as the market demands at the time as everyone is hoarding gasoline?

For example - when everyone is making a run on the gas station the supply gets depleted quickly. 

Allowing the price to rise discourages hoarding and thus more supply can come to market and price come down. 

Where I was, the dealers had no idea when the next shipment was coming in and power spotty and thus were losing money selling at the price it was and trying to offset higher costs on the next deliveries. 

I see no problem w dealers jacking the price in an emergency.   

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 07:25:55 AM »
Nonsense - why can't they set the price as the market demands at the time as everyone is hoarding gasoline?

For example - when everyone is making a run on the gas station the supply gets depleted quickly. 

Allowing the price to rise discourages hoarding and thus more supply can come to market and price come down. 

Where I was, the dealers had no idea when the next shipment was coming in and power spotty and thus were losing money selling at the price it was and trying to offset higher costs on the next deliveries. 

I see no problem w dealers jacking the price in an emergency.   

Because they can't.  We aren't talking about a few months, we are talking about a couple of weeks at best in most any disaster.   When prices are hiked up too many poeple can't afford basic stuff they need AND often times the gas station, which is Really the gas company does it just to take advantage of the situation just as the local mom and pop grocery or hardware store does when they don't need to. 

When disaster strike everyone loses money and it isn't right people or companies get to take advantage of it by unethically raising prices.   Shit, oil companies already do it several times a year anyway.  Tough shit to those businesses as they get to suffer like everyone else.  They can raise price over the long term to pay for few days they couldn't do business.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 07:30:16 AM »
Because they can't.  We aren't talking about a few months, we are talking about a couple of weeks at best in most any disaster.   When prices are hiked up too many poeple can't afford basic stuff they need AND often times the gas station, which is Really the gas company does it just to take advantage of the situation just as the local mom and pop grocery or hardware store does when they don't need to. 

When disaster strike everyone loses money and it isn't right people or companies get to take advantage of it by unethically raising prices.   Shit, oil companies already do it several times a year anyway.  Tough shit to those businesses as they get to suffer like everyone else.  They can raise price over the long term to pay for few days they couldn't do business.

A station only makes about 8 cents per gallon now.  Yet - they have fixed costs.  Without deliveries due to the emergency - they are losing $$$$.  Why should thry be forced to lose money by the $$$$?

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 07:31:08 AM »
There is a distinction between something being legally wrong and something being unethical.  There is room to argue that price gouging shouldn't be illegal but it is certainly unethical to take advantage of people in a time of crisis.
A

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 07:31:29 AM »
when things are at there worst resources should be shared freely

capitalism is toxic to humanity

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 07:32:25 AM »
when things are at there worst resources should be shared freely

capitalism is toxic to humanity

When people are hoarding supplies resources get depleted quickly.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 07:37:48 AM »
A station only makes about 8 cents per gallon now.  Yet - they have fixed costs.  Without deliveries due to the emergency - they are losing $$$$.  Why should thry be forced to lose money by the $$$$?

That's why most gas stations are convenience stores now and not just gas stations.  Also I find it hard to believe its just 8 cents when you see up to  a .50 cent fluctuation between stations.  

Additionally, again we are only talking about a short period of time.  why should average people who are not business owners have to lose money during a disaster when they can't go to work?  Same shit.   Gas stations, which are really OIL COMPNiES need to suck it up.  

If we are talking about Mom and Pop business then they need to make sure they have an emergency fund like regular working people should have too.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 07:38:52 AM »
When people are hoarding supplies resources get depleted quickly.

1 ounce of Prevention is worth a pound of cure. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 07:41:42 AM »
1 ounce of Prevention is worth a pound of cure. 

In NYC area you really can't store 50 -100 gallons of fuel. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 07:44:15 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 07:45:21 AM »

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 07:47:58 AM »
In NYC area you really can't store 50 -100 gallons of fuel. 

But you can gas before a storm like sandy hits. And you can stock up on supplies. So can gas stations.

Just so you know, I think the only people this hurts is mom and pop gas stations, how many of those are still around?   Don't see any really in Cali.  As for the large compaies like Chevron, Shell, arco etc?  Fuck 'em. They raise prices all the time over bull shit and have plenty of resources/money to weather any storm.

PS.  I have no interest in watching some jerk off vid.  Just make your  point in your  own words.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 07:50:34 AM »
But you can gas before a storm like sandy hits. And you can stock up on supplies. So can gas stations.

Just so you know, I think the only people this hurts is mom and pop gas stations, how many of those are still around?   Don't see any really in Cali.  As for the large compaies like Chevron, Shell, arco etc?  Fuck 'em. They raise prices all the time over bull shit and have plenty of resources/money to weather any storm.

PS.  I have no interest in watching some jerk off vid.  Just make your  point in your  own words.

Most of those stations are not owned by the oil company. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 07:54:26 AM »
That's why most gas stations are convenience stores now and not just gas stations.  Also I find it hard to believe its just 8 cents when you see up to  a .50 cent fluctuation between stations.  

Additionally, again we are only talking about a short period of time.  why should average people who are not business owners have to lose money during a disaster when they can't go to work?  Same shit.   Gas stations, which are really OIL COMPNiES need to suck it up.  

If we are talking about Mom and Pop business then they need to make sure they have an emergency fund like regular working people should have too.  

Watch this one.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 08:01:03 AM »
That's why most gas stations are convenience stores now and not just gas stations.  Also I find it hard to believe its just 8 cents when you see up to  a .50 cent fluctuation between stations.   Additionally, again we are only talking about a short period of time.  why should average people who are not business owners have to lose money during a disaster when they can't go to work?  Same shit.   Gas stations, which are really OIL COMPNiES need to suck it up.  

The reason you see this is the corner Shell station is privately owned and they pay a higher price for their gas from the distributor. They don't get a volume discount. The Exxon down the street is corporate owned and they get an extreme discount on their gas and can actually sell it for what the Shell buys theirs for.

The average profit on a gallon of gas for the local guy is 8 cents. I'm surprised 333 got this right. The variation is, when prices go up, they are quick to increase the price. However, when prices drop, they are very slow to drop their prices, increasing the profit margin. I know this because I owned a mom and pop Shell station for several years.

I'm against price gouging in an emergency. I would price my gas to make a reasonable profit and to cover potential price increases from the distributer, but anything past that is taking advantage of people. I'll let the people who are buying it then reselling it on Craigslist do that

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 08:21:52 AM »
The reason you see this is the corner Shell station is privately owned and they pay a higher price for their gas from the distributor. They don't get a volume discount. The Exxon down the street is corporate owned and they get an extreme discount on their gas and can actually sell it for what the Shell buys theirs for.

The average profit on a gallon of gas for the local guy is 8 cents. I'm surprised 333 got this right. The variation is, when prices go up, they are quick to increase the price. However, when prices drop, they are very slow to drop their prices, increasing the profit margin. I know this because I owned a mom and pop Shell station for several years.

I'm against price gouging in an emergency. I would price my gas to make a reasonable profit and to cover potential price increases from the distributer, but anything past that is taking advantage of people. I'll let the people who are buying it then reselling it on Craigslist do that

There was one local guido trying to barter for sex on craiglist in return for gasoline. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 08:23:59 AM »

Thanks for the info agnostic  :)

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »
Watch this one.

Why are you posting a video of a guy you supported getting backstabbed?