Author Topic: squats are the most over rated bodybuilding exercise EVER  (Read 5143 times)

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
Re: squats are the most over rated bodybuilding exercise EVER
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 12:15:12 AM »
how is it better for leg development than leg press or hack squat machine  ::)

Don't do it then. See who cares.

Whiskey

• Getbig III
  • Team Billy Of Peace
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 12:29:01 AM »
If you have to ask that question, you do not know how to squat. It is obvious that you do something wrong, because if you do it right, you don't have to ask. How it is better?

1. it is the most ergonomic and efficient way to train legs
2. it has benefits also in your balance, lower back etc.
3. it is easy way to train legs and if you do it right, you get fast results.

So, now you sit there and wonder how to do it right? For start, take the barbell high on your shoulders and try which is most comfortable, narrow or wide grip for your hands. I prefer wide grip. Then you lift the barbell from the rack, take a back step, put your feet in the shoulder width apart, and squat. While squatting down you make sure that your knees point same direction as your toes. When your ass touch the ground, get back up for another rep. For weight, never use more than the weight with which you can make perfect and deep reps. For reps 10 to 15, no less. When you know how to do it, (means after few months of training how to really do this) ad weight and do 6 to 10 reps, but always use same range of motion. No matter how much weight you use, ROM is always same. Most common error in his exercise is use too much weight, and by that you can't go as deep as you should do to get benefit from the exercise. I see this every week, guys load barbell up to 600 lb and do "squats" with 2" ROM while yelling and screaming. Don't do that, do deep squats with reasonable weight, and you gain mass instead of stress.

Also balancing 3 or 4 hundred pounds across your shoulders has got to be good for developing upper body strength no?

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 12:54:24 AM »
Also balancing 3 or 4 hundred pounds across your shoulders has got to be good for developing upper body strength no?

You don't need any strength, if you are balancing it properly. In fact, if you do it right, you can do it without hands. I keep my hands close the plates so it is easy to keep my upper body upright through the squat. Like this:

Whiskey

• Getbig III
  • Team Billy Of Peace
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 02:17:12 AM »
Cool video,

I seem to get a decent pump in my upper body when I squat, maybe thats from squeezing the bar hard
and trying to keep my elbows perpendicular to the floor or maybe just the squat is long ROM with 
a heavy weight (for me)

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 06:02:29 AM »
I miss squats. I dont do it for couple of months.